Old 09-02-2014, 09:05 PM   #1
cheychey1027628
Casting On

baby blanket-I need help please
Hello! This is my first thread I'm new to knitting and I tried the needles and, I didn't care for them much I mostly crochet. But I found looms I found for x-mas one year and I'm in LOVE. So I started working on a baby blanket as you can see pictures below. The loom is 41 pegs, I have yarn rapped to number 40.i measured around the loom and its 34 inches for all the 40 pegs that the yarn is are. I measured also from the pegs to the bottom of the blanket that so far is done, its 22 inches long. I'm wondering how much would should I make of the blanket until it looks ok/done. I'm just doing a knitting stitch on it also.if I have the measure meant wrong for the loom correct me please.
cheychey1027628 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-02-2014, 09:05 PM   #2
cheychey1027628
Casting On

Originally Posted by cheychey1027628 View Post
Hello! This is my first thread I'm new to knitting and I tried the needles and, I didn't care for them much I mostly crochet. But I found looms I found for x-mas one year and I'm in LOVE. So I started working on a baby blanket as you can see pictures below. The loom is 41 pegs, I have yarn rapped to number 40.i measured around the loom and its 34 inches for all the 40 pegs that the yarn is are. I measured also from the pegs to the bottom of the blanket that so far is done, its 22 inches long. I'm wondering how much would should I make of the blanket until it looks ok/done. I'm just doing a knitting stitch on it also.if I have the measure meant wrong for the loom correct me please.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:15 PM   #3
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,189 Times in 2,693 Posts
That looks really nice. I don't loom knit, most people here use needles but I think few are at least familiar with looms. Try laying the end where you started out flat and get a fairly close measurement of how wide it is. You can make the length proportionate. I'd look at some blankets patterns and see what seems right.

You might want to put your crochet skills to work after the loom knitting is finished and add a border. I can't tell for sure by looking but I think you're doing stockinette - all the knits are on one side and all the purls are on the other side - and if you are you'll find that stockinette curls like crazy and a border will help it lie flat. If you've got garter stitch going - alternating knit rows and purl rows on both sides - curl won't be a problem.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:28 PM   #4
cheychey1027628
Casting On

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
That looks really nice. I don't loom knit, most people here use needles but I think few are at least familiar with looms. Try laying the end where you started out flat and get a fairly close measurement of how wide it is. You can make the length proportionate. I'd look at some blankets patterns and see what seems right.

You might want to put your crochet skills to work after the loom knitting is finished and add a border. I can't tell for sure by looking but I think you're doing stockinette - all the knits are on one side and all the purls are on the other side - and if you are you'll find that stockinette curls like crazy and a border will help it lie flat. If you've got garter stitch going - alternating knit rows and purl rows on both sides - curl won't be a problem.
it is curling at the bottom. When I measure the bottom it comes up around 25 inches though. idk if its all the way flat because of the t op being on the loom still. When I use needles it seems like it takes to long it took be hours to do a few rows that ended up being so small lol. My fiancÚ was like just give up and I wouldn't. He doesn't understand how I can crochet and knit or hours lol. I wrap clockwise on the left then counter clockwise on the right. I e-wrap all the way around and just pull the bottom yarn over the top. after I was starting this blanket I learned about the knit and purl on the looms.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:36 PM   #5
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,189 Times in 2,693 Posts
I would guess that whatever the circumference of your loom is the stockinette will be somewhat less in width because it will pull in. The measurement you got is probably pretty close. Maybe you could do two panels and join them with crochet or mattress stitch. Crochet panels could help with the curl too. Just thinkin'. It looks really cuddly and soft.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:08 PM   #6
cheychey1027628
Casting On

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I would guess that whatever the circumference of your loom is the stockinette will be somewhat less in width because it will pull in. The measurement you got is probably pretty close. Maybe you could do two panels and join them with crochet or mattress stitch. Crochet panels could help with the curl too. Just thinkin'. It looks really cuddly and soft.
thank you ill do that my mother told me I should just make two and put them together lol.she doesn't crochet or knit though lol. i also need to try to make a poncho on a loom before the 27th lol
Old 09-03-2014, 05:59 AM   #7
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,461 Times in 3,138 Posts
I like GG's and your mom's idea of making 2 and crocheting them together. Of course, you can make a range of sizes with the smaller ones for car seats and the larger ones for cribs but around 34x43 inches is fairly common. For many people, the larger, the better.
It's coming along very nicely and will make a lovely blanket.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:35 AM   #8
cheychey1027628
Casting On

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
I like GG's and your mom's idea of making 2 and crocheting them together. Of course, you can make a range of sizes with the smaller ones for car seats and the larger ones for cribs but around 34x43 inches is fairly common. For many people, the larger, the better.
It's coming along very nicely and will make a lovely blanket.
thank you