Old 04-21-2014, 09:22 AM   #1
xToXicBeAutYx
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Skype™ to xToXicBeAutYx
"Marius" Hat Pattern
I've been looking for an English version of the pattern everywhere.

Does anyone know where to find it or does anyone have it & can email it to me? On Revelry, it's only in Norwegian. :( Help?

This is what it looks like:

xToXicBeAutYx is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-21-2014, 06:02 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,742 Times in 7,114 Posts
There are lots of fair isle hat patterns. If an English version isn't on Ravelry it's probably not available.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/sear...c=beanie-toque

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:09 PM   #3
xToXicBeAutYx
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks, but I know about those. I want the pattern for the Marius hat, not just any Fair Isle pattern.

I guess I'll just have to try to get it translated. :(

Old 04-21-2014, 07:01 PM   #4
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,057 Times in 2,569 Posts
That colorwork pattern may be around somewhere. It looks a lot like others I've seen. You could actually chart it for yourself if you have the patience to do so. The hat itself looks pretty basic. There are sites that will produce a chart from a photo, you might be able to load it at one of those and get a chart. Just some free floating ideas you might want to consider. FWIW....or not.

PS I think the pattern is a lot like some I've seen for mosaic knitting. You could search for mosaic knitting patterns and might find a chart for it. There are books available (I had one from the library) with lots of charts too.

Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance
...the five stages of frogging.
GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
xToXicBeAutYx (04-21-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 08:15 PM   #5
DogCatMom
Knitting the Flap

Or you could take a look at this site and maybe translate it for yourself!
DogCatMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:51 PM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,742 Times in 7,114 Posts
Okay. Where did you find this hat pattern? I looked on Ravelry and searched "Marius" and while I didn't see this pattern the fair isle designs were similar no matter what the patterns were. I filtered by language and there were several hats in English. Maybe Marius is the particular design instead of a specific pattern?

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:36 PM   #7
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,057 Times in 2,569 Posts
Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Okay. Where did you find this hat pattern? I looked on Ravelry and searched "Marius" and while I didn't see this pattern the fair isle designs were similar no matter what the patterns were. I filtered by language and there were several hats in English. Maybe Marius is the particular design instead of a specific pattern?
And...what is it about this one that you just LVE ???

Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance
...the five stages of frogging.
GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:57 PM   #8
xToXicBeAutYx
1st Leg of the Journey

I just love how it looks. Lol. Plus, it's one of the most popular Norwegian patterns & my boyfriend & I plan on moving there one day.

I found one pattern on Revelry in English, but it was from a magazine that's no longer published.

As for the patterns... yes, there are charts of it for sweaters & such, but I was hoping that I wouldn't have to mix a normal hat pattern with the chart, but it looks like it's what I'm going to have to do.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:32 PM   #9
DogCatMom
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
I entered the phrase "Marius hat" under the Pattern search at Ravelry.

Thirteen designs came up: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/sear...y=Marius%20hat

This one seems to look most like the one the OP wants to make, although there are clear differences in the color and lesser differences in the "peeries" near the ribbing: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...-13-lue-marius . It's also available only in Norwegian, whereas the first one that comes up is available in English and Norwegian.

The large (primary) design seems to be a variation on X's and O's, a well-known Fair Isle motif. The OP may be new to colorwork, though, so let me say here that there was a LOT of interaction as well as historical and cultural exchange among the Icelandic, Scandinavian, Baltic, Shetland, Scottish, and other Northern Atlantic cultures due to the fishing trade. Thus, a good basic book in either Scandinavian or Fair Isle design may help you reconstruct this design if you're unable to make sense of the Norwegian instructions, even with the "All purpose translator" link I provided earlier.
DogCatMom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DogCatMom For This Useful Post:
xToXicBeAutYx (04-22-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 06:49 AM   #10
RochesterKnitter
Turning the Heel

Quote:
xToXicBeAutYx said: I've been looking for an English version of the pattern everywhere.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/marius-hat
The pattern is available in Norwegian and English.
The two photos on the pattern page are from people's projects, including the one you like so much.

Quote:
xToXicBeAutYx said: Does anyone know where to find it or does anyone have it & can email it to me? On Ravelry, it's only in Norwegian. :( Help?
Openly asking somone to send you a pattern may be a copyright violation. In the future you should ask if you may "borrow" the pattern from someone who owns it.
There are 27 projects for this pattern on Ravelry, you might politely PM the project owners and ask for some help.
As noted above, the pattern is actually available in Norwegian AND English.

Quote:
DogCatMom said: The large (primary) design seems to be a variation on X's and O's, a well-known Fair Isle motif.
Correct. "Marius" is simply the X/O motif and can be knitted onto anything (hats, scarves, mittens, sweaters). If you found any pattern (Free, In English) with the motif (which will likely be charted) you could recreate the hat you desire.

http://www.dalegarn.com/images/misc/201301101140413.pdf

Last edited by RochesterKnitter : 04-22-2014 at 04:31 PM.
RochesterKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote