Old 04-30-2014, 11:03 PM   #1
deann
Knitting the Flap

Help with pattern instructions
Hello....

I need help with pattern please.

What does it mean when it says "continue in established pattern"?? Which are they talking about.

Also, the lace pattern is 12 rows, but I don't see where I knit all 12. In the setup the shawl part it has me do the first 4 rows of pattern.

It also says to increase every fourth row?? Which one? Maybe this is too advanced for me, but the pattern does not seem clear at all. I pasted link below.

Thanks a bunch!!

http://www.allfreeknitting.com/Knit-...itting20140430
deann is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-01-2014, 05:42 AM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,296 Times in 2,982 Posts
Very nice shawl and I think it's very do-able.
The instructions for the first 4 rows help you place the lace pattern sts in the center of the piece and show you how to make the increases.
"Continue in estalished pattern" means to keep knitting the edge sts as you have in rows 1-4 and proceed with the next rows of the lace pattern over the center sts. You'll be working the first and last 4sts in garter stitch. The yo will be worked in stockinette, purl on the WS and knit on the RS.
When you finish row 12 of the lace pattern, start again with row 1 of the lace pattern for the center panel. The instructions for the increase row, row 5, tell you where to place the yo (next to the garter stitch edges). You'll repeat the yo increase on rows 9, i, 5, 9, 1, 5, 9 and so on as you repeat the lace pattern.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:11 AM   #3
deann
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
Very nice shawl and I think it's very do-able.
The instructions for the first 4 rows help you place the lace pattern sts in the center of the piece and show you how to make the increases.
"Continue in estalished pattern" means to keep knitting the edge sts as you have in rows 1-4 and proceed with the next rows of the lace pattern over the center sts. You'll be working the first and last 4sts in garter stitch. The yo will be worked in stockinette, purl on the WS and knit on the RS.
When you finish row 12 of the lace pattern, start again with row 1 of the lace pattern for the center panel. The instructions for the increase row, row 5, tell you where to place the yo (next to the garter stitch edges). You'll repeat the yo increase on rows 9, i, 5, 9, 1, 5, 9 and so on as you repeat the lace pattern.

Oh my gosh...thank you so much. My knitting self esteem plummeted!! But you save it. And thank you for the encouragement. I completely understand it now the way you put it. I am soooo glad you are here!!!!

Old 05-01-2014, 12:16 PM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Oh, this is all part of learning. Now you can get started on this very pretty shawl. We'd love to see a photo if you'd like to post one when you finish.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:22 PM   #5
deann
Knitting the Flap

Oh, this is all part of learning. Now you can get started on this very pretty shawl. We'd love to see a photo if you'd like to post one when you finish.
Oh yes, I would be happy too. I like this one because you don't have to start out casting on 200 stitches!!!

Thanks again!
Old 05-01-2014, 12:44 PM   #6
deann
Knitting the Flap

Another question. So row 5 is worked from the lace pattern correct? The first 4 rows pertain to the first 4 rows of the lace pattern, then I work rows 5 through 10 as in the lace pattern. Then repeat?
Old 05-01-2014, 04:49 PM   #7
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Work row 5 as the "Increase row" instructions in the pattern. Then on row 6, knit the 4 edge sts, p2,work the lace pattern row 6 over the middle 15sts between the markers, p2, k4.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:06 PM   #8
deann
Knitting the Flap

Work row 5 as the "Increase row" instructions in the pattern. Then on row 6, knit the 4 edge sts, p2,work the lace pattern row 6 over the middle 15sts between the markers, p2, k4.

Ohhh....you mean that increase row under "shape the shawl" heading. It doesn't say row 5 but it does come after those 4. So after I do the 4 rows under setup beginning shawl pattern, then do row 5 increase. Then I go to rows 5 thru 10 under the lace pattern. Then over again rows 1-10. Every 4th row knit row 5. LOL. I think I actually might understand this. It's just that its not numbered. Whew! I hope I got it.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:10 PM   #9
deann
Knitting the Flap

UGH. After the decrease row it says "Work 3 rows in established pattern. Remove markers on last row."

What 3 rows? There are so many to choose from. I may look for a simpler shawl...I'm bummed. I wish I knew what I was doing.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:54 PM   #10
salmonmac
Mod Squad

After you do the 4 rows, the inc row is row 5 and in the center of row 5 do the lace pattern row 5. Then you continue the pattern with a row 6 and in the center of row 6 work the lace pattern row 6. The pattern continues this way. The point is that there are border sts and increases at the sides of the shawl, and up the middle is the repeating 10 rows of the lace pattern.
I wouldn't worry too much about the decreasing part of the pattern until you get there. It's one of those things that you figure out when you have the sts on the needles. The dec row will juss be a continuation of the lace pattern with garter edge sts, stockinette sts and some k3tog decreases.