Old 07-12-2014, 04:10 PM   #1
nonny2t
Instepping Out

OT just a bit
As most of you know, I make a pair of socks for both grandsons for Christmas every year. Our oldest grandson just had his 14th bday and his granddad and I took him out to dinner last night. We gave him money for his bday and I said I hope he didn't mind as I thought at his age he would prefer to get the things he liked and said he would probably get money for Christmas except for "those darn socks his Nonny knits him every year." I told him I just love making them for him and don't care really if wears them or not. This was his response, "They are always very nice but what yarn do you use? They don't stretch and when you give them to me I only get to wear them a short time then they aren't long enough." I had started his for this year figuring his feet were slowing down a bit and glad he said what he did because I made men's size 10 last year and was making the same this year but he told me he is almost in a size 12! lolol I just thought it was so sweet of him to tell me they were very nice and try to be tactful about the fact he outgrows them really fast. So older kids especially boys don't always roll their eyes behind your back when you make them something!
nonny2t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nonny2t For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (07-12-2014)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-12-2014, 05:02 PM   #2
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,196 Times in 2,697 Posts

That's wonderful! Grandsons that like Gramma knits are the best!

I had that problem with my grandson's sox and when I reworked them I did them top-down to make redoing the toe to add length easier.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:03 AM   #3
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,466 Times in 3,142 Posts
Sounds lie one fine grandson to me. That must have been a delightful dinner and a great way to celebrate a birthday.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:23 PM   #4
smeldsgang
Knitting the Flap

Very sweet grandson!!! Great story!
smeldsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:30 AM   #5
irishsweaters
Casting On

What kind of wool do you use for your Grandson's socks. What do you think of using tweed for socks?
Old 07-15-2014, 08:34 PM   #6
nonny2t
Instepping Out

@gg:I only knit top downs. It isn't they are hard to lengthen, it is just his feet keep growing at an alarming rate! lol

I have to be careful what he can wear on his feet. I just bought bamboo and cotton combo because I am making him ankle socks this year to wear while he is running and biking. He runs marathons and does triathlons and has to have socks that will be cool and keep his feet dry. I found a runners' website selling ready made socks and their socks were bamboo and cotton so I bought that type of yarn. I don't make range size socks like those sold in stores, I make them exactly to fit so that is why.
nonny2t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:12 PM   #7
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,196 Times in 2,697 Posts
Originally Posted by nonny2t View Post
@gg:I only knit top downs. It isn't they are hard to lengthen, it is just his feet keep growing at an alarming rate! lol

I have to be careful what he can wear on his feet. I just bought bamboo and cotton combo because I am making him ankle socks this year to wear while he is running and biking. He runs marathons and does triathlons and has to have socks that will be cool and keep his feet dry. I found a runners' website selling ready made socks and their socks were bamboo and cotton so I bought that type of yarn. I don't make range size socks like those sold in stores, I make them exactly to fit so that is why.
What cotton/bamboo yarn did you get and please let me know how you like it. I got some bamboo/nylon On Your Toes and don't think I'll make socks from it. My test knit didn't seem like good sock fabric. I've been on the lookout for summer sock yarn and so far nothing has enticed me to buy.

I prefer making socks to fit also. My grandson outgrew his before I finished the tops. He really dislikes outgrowing things he likes so I made this pair roomy and he seems to like them like that. He did say he thinks they'll be better for winter. I wonder why he thinks that.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote