Old 06-09-2014, 12:04 PM   #1
Tonik
Casting On

Circular knitting
Hello, I am a new member and fairly new to knitting. I am knitting an Afghan on circular needles as suggested in the pattern. I've knitted about 30 rows, and now I'm wondering how in the world will this be a flat afghan if I'm knitting in the round? I don't want go further if I'm going to end up with a round circle. Please help!
Tonik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tonik For This Useful Post:
Sheilakide (07-05-2014)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-09-2014, 12:24 PM   #2
Dclutterchique
1st Leg of the Journey

Hello, and welcome to KnittingHelp.

Although the pattern suggests knitting on circular needles, I don't think you're ment to knit in the round. Instead you're suppost to knit flat (by turning your work at the end of each row). If the pattern refers to 'Rows' instead of 'Rounds' and/or RS or WS it's ment to be knitted flat. Clrcular needles are often recommended for large items, like afgans, as they are big enough to hold the stiches and keep the weight central or balanced.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like you'll have to undo your work and start again.

FO: Downton Hat

A sweater of a thousand yards begins with a single stitch. Lao-tzu's Granny
Dclutterchique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:41 PM   #3
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,636 Posts
I think Julie is correct. Can you link to your pattern? Think of the circular needles and "needles on a leash" that keep the one you drop easily retrievable.
Knitting Flat With Circular Needles
Watch for something like "join to knit in the round" on patterns to know that it's supposed to be knit in the round. You can also ask here if you aren't sure. There are definite advantages to using circs for knitting flat. I rarely use straight needles or double pointed needles, interchangeable circs can handle it all.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:56 PM   #4
Tonik
Casting On

Knitting flat on circular needles
Thanks, I think I get it! I'll spend some time ripping out and I'll give it a try again! Thank you so much.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:58 PM   #5
Tonik
Casting On

Thank you so much. I'll spend some time ripping out and then give it a try. It was my husband who brought this to me attention. He said, "What are you knitting, anyway?" When I told him (he's an ex-engineer), he said, "It looks like a big circle to me." I thought about it and decided he was correct.
I really appreciate your help.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:36 PM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,761 Times in 7,129 Posts
Make sure when you're knitting flat on circs that the stitches and working yarn come from the left needle. The right one will be empty just like with straight needles.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote