Old 08-05-2014, 11:21 AM   #1
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Recommendation Request: Yarn for Dishcloths
Looking for a not "Kitchen Cotton" yarn recommendation.

My daughter (7 years old) learned to knit a couple of weekends ago, at the Detroit MakerFaire -- we spent quite a lot of time in the needlecrafte area -- and she has been casting on, knitting, and frogging repeatedly ever since. I think she doesn't know what to make.

(I tried to teach her myself a while back, but it did not work out. I can tutor math; knitting not so much. )

It crossed my mind yesterday that a dishcloth would be a good project for her to finish -- she can only do the knit stitch, but I think I'd like to try her on the common "Grandmother's Favorite" diagonal washcloth -- the yarn over and k2tog might make it more interesting and maybe she'll stop unraveling her work.

What would be a good yarn to give her? The ball she is using is a wool blend and I'm thinking for a dishcloth (or even a washcloth that she could use herself) a cotton blend would be better. I don't think she would enjoy using my kitchen cotton (Bernat Handicrafter) but I am unfamiliar with most of the other cottons (and blends) that are available.

I've heard KnitPicks' Dishie is good, but I would prefer to not order it online. I have three or four LYS's near me, so I have a lot of options and resources for getting it without going online. Of course, KnitPicks shipping is fairly reasonable, so I could easily go that route; I just don't seem capable of ordering less than $50 at a time from them.

Anyway, are there other cotton yarns can you recommend to me to try for her? I want something that comes in a worsted weight -- I just bought her a set of Lion Brand needles, size 10, for kids and she will want to use them. (They have little lion heads on the ends. They are plastic and shorter than the metal needles she got at the Faire.)

Thanks!
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-05-2014, 05:20 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
I use Tahki Cotton Classic. The colors are gorgeous and the yarn doesn't stain or fade as much as peaches and cream type dishcloth cotton.

I just noticed it's DK. Oh well.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
sakura-panda (08-06-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 06:42 PM   #3
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,083 Times in 2,594 Posts
Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
I use Tahki Cotton Classic. The colors are gorgeous and the yarn doesn't stain or fade as much as peaches and cream type dishcloth cotton.

I just noticed it's DK. Oh well.
DK is really nice for facecloths. I think a new young knitter could do fine with DK but maybe the needles already purchased would be too large for it. I've used CotLin from Knit Picks, I think it's DK. I haven't tried Tahki yet. Too bad I am only using stash yarn these days and have to delay getting any.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
sakura-panda (08-06-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 08:52 AM   #4
knitcindy
Turning the Heel

My local Walmart has Peaches & Cream cotton in LOTS of different colors. I think your dd might enjoy choosing a color she likes and trying to knit a dishcloth with that.

knitcindy
knitcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitcindy For This Useful Post:
sakura-panda (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 02:18 PM   #5
Daylilydayzed
Turning the Heel

Paton's Grace is a mercerized 100% cotton yarn. It is almost like a crochet yarn in size.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:02 PM   #6
XtopherCB
Knitting the Flap

daylily - could you clarify/expand on that for me? i've been told repeatedly that there's no difference between yarns for crochet, knitting, tatting, etc - that if anything is marketed as specific to a craft, it's just that - marketing - and instead the focus should be on material preference, bulk preference and which one in combination with various needle sizes gives the gauge we need for a project... so what would 'crochet yarn in size' be? thanks much! - X
OTK: 10-stitch blanket that i'm not liking, modified arrowhead pattern scarf/cowl that i'm also not liking, more almost lost wash cloths, and SOCKS SoCkS sOcKs for the first time. and now 2nd time. and now 3rd time...
XtopherCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:48 PM   #7
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

The idea is that thread and yarn are thread and yarn, no matter what they are called, and that if one can be used for knitting or crocheting, then it can also be used for the other.

I think that Daylilydayzed is referring to specific type of yarn called "crochet thread". Similar to "sock yarn" and "kitchen cotton", it covers a range of similar yarns that are often used for a common purpose but is not limited to that one style or technique in actual use. I believe (but do not know for certain) that "crochet thread" is a sort of cotton mostly used to crochet doilies. I've never used it myself.
The Following User Says Thank You to sakura-panda For This Useful Post:
XtopherCB (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 06:37 PM   #8
XtopherCB
Knitting the Flap

ok thanks, i get it now... i looked up aunt lydia's crochet threads on the red heart site, and all the different types are equatable with 0-lace weight, or smaller, when it comes to knitting... 32-40 sts per 4" gauge with weights 2-10, even more stitches with weights 18-30, so it's basically lace/cobweb size (bigger number equals smaller thread)... filing that away in my yarn databank.
OTK: 10-stitch blanket that i'm not liking, modified arrowhead pattern scarf/cowl that i'm also not liking, more almost lost wash cloths, and SOCKS SoCkS sOcKs for the first time. and now 2nd time. and now 3rd time...
XtopherCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:19 PM   #9
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

LOL Looking it up yourself was certainly better than going along with my "I don't know but here is some not quite relevant information" answer. I'm glad you figured it out!
The Following User Says Thank You to sakura-panda For This Useful Post:
XtopherCB (08-08-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 08:47 PM   #10
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,083 Times in 2,594 Posts
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
The idea is that thread and yarn are thread and yarn, no matter what they are called, and that if one can be used for knitting or crocheting, then it can also be used for the other.

I think that Daylilydayzed is referring to specific type of yarn called "crochet thread". Similar to "sock yarn" and "kitchen cotton", it covers a range of similar yarns that are often used for a common purpose but is not limited to that one style or technique in actual use. I believe (but do not know for certain) that "crochet thread" is a sort of cotton mostly used to crochet doilies. I've never used it myself.
I've not actually made anything except swatches but crochet thread knit up on sock needles is wonderful. It looks very delicate and stretches more than I expected though still not as much as other yarns I use. It's a lot of stitches for a largish project and I've not quite decided what I would make with it. I have read that 2 strands held together make a really nice facecloth. I don't know the number on the stuff I played with but it's some of the skinnier stuff. Maybe I'll go get some of the heavier stuff and try making a washcloth, or one skinny and one not so skinny strand held together, or....

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote