Old 09-07-2014, 05:02 PM   #1
TEMA
Turning the Heel

Loose neckline?
It seems that everytime I do circular knitting of a sweater, I start with the neckline and work my way down. When the sweater is finished, I can see the neckline is waaaayyyy too big!
Why is this happening?
I've tried using smaller needles than the pattern calls for but I usually end up, picking up stitches at the neck edge and knitting a couple more rows, decreasing a bit as I go and that seems to solve the problem but then the top of the sweater is totally different from the neckline that attracted me to knit the sweater in the first place.
What am I doing wrong?
The sweater I just finished this a.m. had the same problem so I picked up and knit around, dec a few stitches here and there. It looks good now and I think my 15 year old granddaughter will have no trouble wearing it.
TEMA
TEMA is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-07-2014, 05:05 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
If you're making a top down raglan just cast on less and then increase till you reach the size you need. Using a smaller needle onthe neckline might help, too.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (09-07-2014), TEMA (09-07-2014)
Old 09-07-2014, 06:40 PM   #3
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,595 Posts
My 2 cents FWIW. You're dealing with multiple sizes. If I make a sweater to fit my bust and don't use a smaller size portion of the pattern for the neck and shoulders there is no way it's going to work. I have to start with a smaller size, increase one way or another to accommodate the larger bust size (short rows works best for me so far as it adds fullness where it is needed) and increase for the hips. I might need to increase across the top of the back a few stitches but that's not typically the case. It's frustrating and irritating but not impossible. You can check out Cheryl Brunette on youtube. She's into making your garment to fit your measurements and your gauge, not making your measurements and your gauge fit a pattern. I've not yet found one of her free videos dealing with enlarging for the bustline. There are some resources for doing this. I've lost my links or I'd post a few.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
TEMA (09-08-2014)
Old 09-08-2014, 09:26 PM   #4
TEMA
Turning the Heel

Thank you for your advice, GG and Jan...
I went back and used a smaller needle on the neckline of the sweater and it looks much better.
If I could post a picture (which I don't seem to be able to do), I could show you how nice it turned out.
Thank you so much for your help!
TEMA
TEMA is offline   Reply With Quote