Old 05-18-2016, 11:39 PM   #1
pslane
1st Leg of the Journey

Back to the Ear Flap pattern
I'm getting started on the ear flap cap now and some of this is so confusing to me. I hope you can help.
http://www.yarnspirations.com/patterns/earflap-cap.html

The screenshot will show you where I am. Now, do I just start a new cast on like a beginning project? How do I cast on 3 st, then K 15 from the first earflap? Actually I only have one ear flap made.

I think I need somebody to draw me a picture of this!! LOL
Thanks.
Attached Images:

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-19-2016, 05:39 AM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 4,087 Times in 3,733 Posts
You're going to need the second earflap for the first round of the hat so make that and save the sts on a holder or a double pointed needle.
Yes, cast on 3sts as you do when starting a project but use the knit or cable cast on (not long tail). Knit those 3sts. The needle with the 3sts and the working yarn coming off the tip is in your right hand. Now take the holder with the first earflap in your left hand and knit the sts of the earflap from the holder.

To cast on the next set of sts, switch the needles in your hands so that the needle with the sts you just knit is in your left hand and cast on the required number of sts. Now switch the needles back so that the needle with the sts is in your right hand and knit the sts of the 2nd earflap off the holder.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:53 AM   #3
pslane
1st Leg of the Journey

Thank you so much for the help, but this may be the pattern that ends my short knitting endeavor. How can you knit 15 on a 3 stitch cast on?

You are very patient, but I can't seem to grasp this part.

This is actually listed as an "easy" pattern!

First thing I'm going to do is start the ear flap over using one color since changing colors is just adding to the problem for me.

This screen shot is a simple sketch, showing what is needed. I wish I could just make the cap and ear flaps and sew them together the normal way but they don't show a way to make the cap as one piece, drat it.

The other screen shot is marked yellow at the part I can't understand.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	knitting2.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	59116  Click image for larger version

Name:	knitting.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	59117  
Old 05-19-2016, 11:36 AM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 4,087 Times in 3,733 Posts
OK, the instructions are to
cast on 3sts, knit those 3sts
then continue by knitting 15 sts from the first earflap.
So the 15sts come after the 3 cast on sts and are from the 15 held sts of the earflap.

You could do these all as separate pieces but it's part of the look that they be knit as one piece without seams. You can do it!
Old 05-19-2016, 08:27 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,958 Times in 7,304 Posts
Yes, you will be attaching the 3 stitches to the ear flap. After you knit the 3 stitches stick your needle into a stitch on the right edge of the ear flap and knit and do that all the way across. Then you'll knit some for the base of the at and then add the other flap.

Here's some pictures of picking up stitches. It shows it horizontally, but it's the same principle.
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter04/FEATwin04TT.html

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:18 PM   #6
pslane
1st Leg of the Journey

When I get both the ear flaps done (in solid yarn) I will see what happens. If cast on 3 and k3, then pick up the ear flap, that sounds doable, but how do I continue making stitches to the next ear flap? Oh well, I'll send a screen shot when I get there

Thank you both for your help and patience.
Pauline
Old 05-19-2016, 10:17 PM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

I think you'd cast on. Probably use knit on or cable cast on.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 05-23-2016, 10:18 PM   #8
pslane
1st Leg of the Journey

One last post on the problem. I made both ear flaps and put them on holding needles. After 1 attempt to cast on 3 and knit 3 and continue knitting on the ear flap, I saw that that was not working. So I frogged it out and kept both ear flaps like they were. I believe they only way for me to complete this is to have it shown to me in person.

I really think with the instruction likes they are: Casting on out of nowhere and knitting with nothing to knit back to, this is impossible.

I may try to look up a knitting instructor I used to use way back years ago.

Thanks everybody.
Pauline
Old 05-23-2016, 10:52 PM   #9
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

In person would help, but see if this helps-

- Start with new yarn not the one from the ear flap.
-Cast on 3 and turn then knit those three stitches.
-Take the ear flap with the needle and have it ready in your left hand.
-With your right needle and the 3 stitches put yarn in back (for knitting) stick your right needle into the first stitch and knit it.
-Then knit across the ear flap the same way.
-Now you're going to cast on x number of stitches
-Turn your work so the just knitted stitches are in your left hand. -Using your right needle put it into the stitch and knit it then kind of twist it to put on the left needle. Repeat till you've cast on the number you need.

Here's a video for the knitted cast on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xocjmpglM1Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f85PYy894dM

- when you're done turn your work so the first ear flap and cast on stitches are in your right hand
- hold the second ear flap ready to knit in your left hand and knit into the first stitch as you did before then do each one.

I'm not sure what the rest of your pattern is, but maybe this helps?

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 05-26-2016, 11:37 AM   #10
pslane
1st Leg of the Journey

Okay, here's where I am. I asked the company that made the pattern for more info and got a response. It is attached. I also tried to knit it the way I understand it which is not right, I'm sure.

I keep reading the words "adding to the hat" but I don't see where there is a hat to add to?

Please see what is wrong with the knitting swatch I am attaching.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	text.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	59118  Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot knitting.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	59119