Old 01-29-2006, 07:23 AM   #1071
kimira
Casting On

Noo?
Hello, all. I am, obviously, new here! I just started knitting about two weeks ago. My friend's boyfriend's aunt (loose connection there) taught me, and my first project was a garter-knit scarf with fairly large yarn on enourmous 15mm needles. *grin*

That one finished fairly quickly, and I then decided to start a more difficult scarf... which is definitely taking longer. I got some lovely greenish wool yarn, and I'm attempting the "Besotted Scarf" on the free patterns page here. So, since that one seems to be fairly slow going for me so far, I've also started a hat (my first time working with DPN) and another scarf (which I call my "awesome scarf." Basically, every eight stitches or so I switch to another pattern. Or do whatever I feel like doing. It's pretty awesome so far, hee).

This site has been amazingly helpful so far. The only thing I was originally showed in person was the knit stitch, so everything else I've picked up on here. The videos especially... I'm amazed by all the work that went into them. So thanks a ton, Amy.

Now, before I go to sleep, I do have some questions if anyone happens to read this. (I might re-post later in appropriate threads.) First off, I'm having trouble with my tension - I'm holding the yarn wrapped around my pinky once and then around my index finger, but my index finger keeps wanting to come all the way in to rest against my needle, which makes my pinky stick out, and causes pain as well as makes the yarn either slip off my pinky, or just destroys any control I have over the yarn flow. Does anyone have any advice for this?

Also, as I have tendonitis in one wrist and other problems in the other, does anyone have any specific wrist braces they would recommend for knitting? I have several right now, but I've seen some special "knitting wrist braces" in yarn shops, and wonder if they're any better.

And lastly, since I'm trying all sorts of crazy stuff on my "amazing scarf," does anyone have links to pages that give shorts descriptions (/pictures?) of many different knit patterns? Not necessarily patterns for a particular garment or project, but just different repetitions of stitches to achieve certain looks/etc..

Er. Sorry for typing so much. Oh, and yeah, I'm a 19-year-old student living in Ann Arbor, Michigan, so making all these scarves will be really good for me with our winters. Ciao!
kimira is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-29-2006, 09:05 AM   #1072
Angelia

Hello and Welcome!

Re stitch patterns: This is a discloth pattern website, but it has wonderful examples of stitch patterns and repeats--I use it a lot!

Re holding yarn: Watch Amy's video and try to mimic how she holds the yarn. (It takes practice and patience.) It sounds like your pinky finger is holding the yarn too tightly; remember to keep it relaxed.

You might also try holding your left needle VERY LOOSELY with your pinky and ring finger to allieviate stress; it takes some getting used to, certainly, but I find it easier on my left hand and wrist because it stabilizes those two fingers. (Mine want to roam about, too!)

Re wrist brace: I'm not sure about that, but I highly recommend (almost order, in fact), that you take breaks every 20 minutes or so and stretch your arms and wrists and fingers. Knitting can be all-absorbing (I know), but you want to avoid carpal tunnel! Try here for exercises. They've really made a difference for me and most of the other knitters here. You want knitting to be comfortable and pain free, so get in the habit of stretching.

Welcome again, and please post pics of your work--we love that stuff!
Old 01-29-2006, 09:09 PM   #1073
knittingachiever
Knitting the Flap

Hiya!

I'm a knitter in Pittsburgh, and I'm glad to be here. I'm already asking for your help - I posted a question about left-slanting decreases on the wrong side of a piece over on the How-To forum.

Nice to meet you!
knittingachiever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 11:25 PM   #1074
Angelia

Hello there!

Ooh, Jeep_Girl (Lisa) lives in Pittsburgh!
Old 01-30-2006, 05:32 PM   #1075
lovemysoldier73
Casting On

Sooo Excited
Hello to everyone....I am so excited to have found this awesome website. I picked up knitting last year while my hubby was deployed to Iraq. I probably knit over 30 scarves. Definintly helped to pass time and now he's home ....We have a new baby neice and i've decided to branch out and try something new so i'm making a baby blanket for her and just figured out what sk2p ment....This website has some awesome illustrations....N-eways hopefully i'll be knitting for our own baby soon until then i'll be learning......Nice to meet you all :XX:
Old 01-30-2006, 08:27 PM   #1076
knittingachiever
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Angelia
Hello there!

Ooh, Jeep_Girl (Lisa) lives in Pittsburgh!
Yay, more 'Burghers!
knittingachiever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 01:32 AM   #1077
2muttmom
Casting On

great site!
This is such a great site. A women in Parker, CO told me about it but honestly I thought it wouldn't help me because I knit Continental style and have had such difficulty finding people to help me. My mom is from Germany so she was able to "show" me the stitches but didn't know the words for them in English or how to read the patterns. In short I didn't think I"d be able to move forward with my new-found past-time. Thanks, Amy for making this possible for me. I"m now working on this cute little red felted bag - it's going to be great! :XX:
2muttmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:27 AM   #1078
Angelia

Welcome!
Old 02-02-2006, 03:18 PM   #1079
bamaknit
Casting On

Hi! I'm a knitter from Birmingham, Alabama. I've been knitting for about 3 years, but I've just recently branched out from scarves and hats. I'm now working on mittens and socks and will hopefully work on my first sweater sometime in the spring. I've been knitting like a woman possessed for about 2 months now. It's like I can't stop! :XX:

I've enjoyed reading the board and have learned a lot. This board is FULL of great information! I've gotten so many ideas....much to the dismay of my checking account.
bamaknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 05:55 PM   #1080
cozy
Knitting the Flap

I've made one post, so let me back up & introduce myself. I've been knitting for just a little over 2 years & am seriously addicted. I started a blog last month & decided at the beginning of this year that I would be more adventurous. I also am going to be altruistic this year & knit Christmas gifts--I've already started because I have 3 kids & we're just extremely busy. I also peruse knitters review & am cozy there, as well.

Knitting Addict since November '03
cozy is offline   Reply With Quote