Old 02-18-2006, 02:29 PM   #1121
Angelia

Welcome, Diane!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-19-2006, 02:30 AM   #1122
momwolf
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,136 Times in 707 Posts
Welcome to the best knitting forum around :XX: I'm new also and don't know what I would do without them Just ask these wonderful people anything . Glad you joined us :D

Julie
momwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 03:12 PM   #1123
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to aylaanne Send a message via MSN to aylaanne Send a message via Yahoo to aylaanne
Hello! I just learned how to knit after I took a class where it seemed that a good half of the students knitted during the lecture. I've discovered that this is a great way for me to feel like I've accomplished something in an otherwise boring lecture class. Unfortunately, as a senior nursing student, I only have one such class, the rest of my classes are practicums, and there isn't much time to knit during those.

I came upon this site and I think it's an absolutely wonderful idea! Many thanks to Amy for putting up this great site! Incidentally, Amy lives in the same area as I do, which makes it even more of a great find, and I'm hoping to purchase web hosting from her husband soon, since I lose mine as soon as I graduate.

I'm looking forward to posting, getting assistance, giving assistance, and doing a little bragging about my FOs. :D

ayla
aylaanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 03:53 PM   #1124
Angelia

Welcome, Ayla!

Looking forward to seeing your work!
Old 02-19-2006, 04:03 PM   #1125
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to aylaanne Send a message via MSN to aylaanne Send a message via Yahoo to aylaanne
Originally Posted by Angelia
Welcome, Ayla!

Looking forward to seeing your work!
Thanks! Right now I'm working on a hooded baby blanket for a girlfriend of mine whose birth will coincide with my graduation. Next I'm going to make the same blanket in different yarn for another girlfriend whose birth will coincide with my wedding in July.

I'm also working on soap holders with some worsted weight yarn I bought to practice different knitting stitches. I was trying the continental method of knitting but I kept splitting my yarn. I might go back to it later.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:17 PM   #1126
Angelia

I knit continental, so here's a tip that might help you avoid splitting your yarn: when you insert the right needle into the stitch, open the stitch up wide and scoop the yarn in with your right needle. (I use my left middle finger to help guide the yarn.) Opening the stitch wide won't affect how your stitch looks once you're done--you won't be making it bigger--but it will allow you more control over how the right needle tackles the yarn, thus less or no splitting.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:44 PM   #1127
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
just wanted to say welcome to everyone!!!

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 07:56 PM   #1128
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Welcome everyone!! :D

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 01:58 AM   #1129
nurseratchit
Casting On

Quote:
Unfortunately, as a senior nursing student, I only have one such class, the rest of my classes are practicums, and there isn't much time to knit during those.
Hi Aylaanne!

I am a nurse also (10 years). Welcome to the site...I'm new here too and a new knitter. My first "original" project was a stethoscope cover---now I've got everyone at work letting me know I can make them one too!

Good luck in your last year of school and enjoy those boring lectures/knitting opportunites while you can!

Haven't thought of anything clever to put here yet. :-)
nurseratchit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 02:02 AM   #1130
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by nurseratchit
My first "original" project was a stethoscope cover---now I've got everyone at work letting me know I can make them one too!

Good luck in your last year of school and enjoy those boring lectures/knitting opportunites while you can!
Do you have a pattern for that stethoscope cover? That sounds interesting, and I bet I'd never lose my stethoscope....

In the queue:
Jack Skellington baby afghan
Finished: Warm Up America Square, Basketweave Baby Blanket (now to ship it), Massachusetts Dishcloth for the Yarn Harlot, Homeless Hat
, water bottle cozy