Old 03-15-2005, 05:51 PM   #111
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

Originally Posted by amy
Ha ha ha, I cheated and used the online translater too. You forgot to mention Hildie's taking the opportunity to curse, and THINKING she's gotten away with it!

(Couldn't resist the opportunity to use the "finger wag" emoticon at Hildie.) :rofling:
DO'H!!!! I forgot about those darn translator sites. We won't tell anyone what I said, right???

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-15-2005, 07:42 PM   #112
beldaraan
Working the Gusset

I knew what it meant. My hubby is half French and has used it on occasion... Learning french is also mandatory in Canada too. I probably knew it way earlier. Isn't that the first thing you do as a kid when looking up words in a dictionary or a translator?
beldaraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 08:07 PM   #113
carollovesyarn
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to carollovesyarn
All I know is it was the first thing my boss would shout when something got screwed up in the winery(which was often and usually his own doing). I think I first looked it up when they didn't have a subtitle for it in the French movie I was watching.

Carol

In the Wings: felted clogs, socks

Recent FO: dishcloth for swap, booties for cousins babe

KALs: Grannie Smith, Monthly Dishcloths, Mason-Dixon
carollovesyarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 10:15 PM   #114
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
OH, ALRIGHT, all of you smarty-fat-pantses!!!
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 05:19 PM   #115
RachelJean
Knitting the Flap

I just wanted to say Hi and introduce myself. I've been reading this website for about a month now and already bought the CD. I'm not really a new knitter - I learned in my teens from my grandmother. Many years have passed since then ... I won't say how many ... and I decided to re-learn how to knit. I'm currently knitting the afghan in "Learn to Knit Afghan" by Barbara Walker. It's a lot of fun and I'm learning a lot of new techniques. Amy's videos have already helped me a couple times when the written directions in the book were confusing.

I can't believe it took me so long to become addicted - knitting is great and I wish I could do it all the time!
RachelJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 11:43 PM   #116
Gatomoso
Ribbing the Cuff

This is a fantastic site. Thank you, Amy! You are a knitting goddess!

I live in NYC and have been knitting for about 2 years now. My grandmother tried to teach me when I was a kid, but I could never sit still long enough to actually knit anything after casting on. I decided to try knitting after seeing a medical student knitting serenely while I was speaking at her hospital. I was entranced by her Skacel circular needles! I went to the Barnes and Noble, but realized that even if I had a book I wouldn't know where to get yarn or those cool needles. As I looked out the window, frustrated, I saw The Yarn Company. I walked over, drooled over their yarns, bought their book, The Yarn Girls' Guide to Simple Knits, got myself some Skacel needles, and haven't looked back!
Gatomoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 05:55 PM   #117
knittingdiva
Casting On

Hello Everyone..
My name is Angelique and i am new to knitting and i really enjoy it..
I am so very happy that i have found this website.. it is awesome and for someone that is new to knitting i can find all of my answers to questions that i may have. Amy, is great and she is very helpful. I look forward to being apart of this community..

Happy Knitting..

Angelique :XX:
knittingdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 11:02 PM   #118
joaniebee
Casting On

:XX:
I am a newbie oldie My aunt who was born in Holland taught me how to knit when I was 7 and was very patient with me. I knitted small projects like scarfs and squares and then stopped in my mid thirties. In November of 2004 my SIL's step mother ask me if I knew anyone who knew how to knit and I said "I do I do!" She wanted to learn how to knit so she could knit some of the fun fur scarfs. I sat down with her and showed her how and got so excited over all the new fur yarns and chunky yarns that I haven't put the needles down since. I took my knitting to work and knitted fun fur scarfs during lunch I ended up making about 40 of them from Thanksgiving to Christmas It was so much fun. I haven't tried to tackle big projects but at the moment I have become addicted to the fan and feather pattern. I have done baby blankets in this pattern and am now working on a shawl for my sil in fan and feather. It's very relaxing and certainly keeps me out of the malls.
I also am an avid collector of antique and collectible clothing buttons. Hope to knit with buttons soon
Love the sight and hope to get to join in with all the chatter
Joaniebee
joaniebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 02:37 PM   #119
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Welcome RachelJean, Gatomoso, knittingdiva/Angelique, and joaniebee!

Great to have you al on board!

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 05:50 PM   #120
lisak
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to lisak
Hello All!

I am very new to knitting and wanted to introduce myself. I have been knitting for about a month and am on the verge of completing my first hat (we'll see...). I am also taking a class and my last one is next Tuesday - Boo! So...I will be visiting a lot more in the near future! I've already been reading a lot of the posts and those are a great help, not to mention this awesome website!!

Thanks for all the great advice so far and I look forward to chatting more!