Old 03-31-2006, 02:32 PM   #1251
lux2night
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to lux2night
Hi, my name is Lu and I am a knitholic.

I am very glad I found yet another knitting board, this one looks really nice and friedly :D

Lu
:XX:

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-31-2006, 03:07 PM   #1252
BettyBea
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to BettyBea
Hi Lu!

After all ... the first step in DEALING
with your addiction is admitting you HAVE one!

Of course when it comes to knitting addictions?
You will be encouraged to CONTINUE not give
it up!

Yah. Man. Knit ON!
On the needles?
Lacy Washcloth, Opal Socks, Cabled Pillow, Easter eggs, And a Pink Prayer Shawl! So why am I here ....
I SHOULD BE KNITTING!
BettyBea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 06:28 PM   #1253
KathD
Ribbing the Cuff

Hi all,
I've been lurking for a while and thought I should introduce myself before jumping in. I found this sight looking for information on knitting clogs. Boy did i find info!! Since then I've made two pairs of clogs, and a couple hats and a pair of socks. I used to knit and spin, years ago. Now, I've been inspired to take up my needles again. This sight is great for encouraging and sharing information. Thanks to Amy and all the mod.s for the many hours devoted to keeping things running smoothly here. I'm looking forward to joining a KAL!!
KathD :D :D
KathD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 06:48 PM   #1254
Indylou
Casting On

Hi everyone! I知 a new knitter (since February) who has spent quite a bit of time since then lurking and soaking up knowledge on this wonderful site. I figured it痴 time to start participating, so I値l start by introducing myself.

My name is Michelle and I知 from Southeastern Michigan (West Bloomfield). I知 37 years old and have been married for three years. My only child (so far anyway) is my much loved Yorkie, Indy, who is my constant sidekick. I recently left a ho-hum corporate job to start my own small business working with pets, and I知 loving every minute of it. Some of my other interests include scrapbooking, beading, yoga, traveling and classic movies. Prior to the newly-acquired knitting obsession, I was a voracious reader. Like others on the forum here, I知 also a 撤otterhead. I think I知 going to have to look into audiobooks as others have suggested if I知 going to keep up with my reading these days, unless I can devise a way to hold a book and knit at the same time

To date I致e knit a pile of dishcloths, a couple of scarves, and a baby afghan (ok, actually a doggy afghan) and now I知 off to start my Irish Hiking scarf, my first attempt at cables. Wish me luck!

Thank you Amy and mods for all your work on this site擁t痴 an invaluable resource.

Michelle
Indylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 11:11 PM   #1255
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
Welcome everyone to the friendliest forum there is! Thanks for noticing, Lu!

And Michelle, if you every figure out how to read and knit at the same time, please let us know. My reading has suffered since I took up knitting again.

Kath--welcome back to the fold!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 01:42 AM   #1256
purpleldy1
Casting On

My name is Melanie but I have always been Mel to everyone who has ever met me. I live in Idaho, I have been married 10 years. I have four children. I am so new I still haven't bought a set of knitting needles, yet. Not sure what type is best. I am watching several auctions on ebay, yet to bid though. I was toying with making my own using Amys instructions. My Mother sarted out with circulars making dishrags. Now she makes Leper bangages for Humanitarian efforts. My inspiration is two fold. One I have been suffering from insomnia and need something to occupy my time and relax me enough to sleep and, two I got a scarf of the share table at church last year the is the coolest thing ever. It is a scarf with two hidden pockets. I am bound and determined to recreate it or, improve upon it. So that being said I know I have a long road ahead of me. Any advice would be welcomed.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:30 AM   #1257
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
Welcome, Mel! A lot of us do what your mother does and use circulars for flat knitting as well as knitting in the round. Less expensive in the long run, and much more versatile. Lots of people use the interchangeable sets, some, like me, prefer Addi Turbos (a lot of us love them) even thought they're more expensive. Susan Bates circulars are not bad, either.

I suggest you get a pair of needles, somewhere in the middle range--like 8--a skein of worsted weight, light-colored yarn, and just knit, knit, knit. Knitting, like anything else, gets better with practice.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 06:02 PM   #1258
Electriknits
Casting On

Hi everyone! My name is Shannon and I am from southeast Michigan. I just recently discovered this site and am loving it! I taught myself to knit when my son was 6 months old (he will be 3 in a few months). I have a serious knitting addiction and am also a "Potterhead"!
This is so great having this site because I don't really know anyone else who knits!
Thanks!
Electriknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 12:53 AM   #1259
purpleldy1
Casting On

Does it matter what kind of needles I start with.?
For a person who has never knitted and until recently has only been able to crochet a single chain, what kind of needles should I be buying, DP, circular , regular straight< Just the cheapest I can find. what is all or your advice. I know quilting and other textile hobbies relaxes me if I had room in my home for a quilt frame I would be doing that. Give me your opinions. I Found this site searching for more indepth learnign. I got interested watching a knitting program on PBS, unfortunately the camera angles were less than helpful for a beginner. I was so excited to see Amys videos she doesn't feel so self improtant that she has to be in the shot. only her hands the needles and the yarn. Bravo. As soon as I get my first set of needles I will be on my way. Good for you Shannon to be able to teach yourself. Must be something about the name I have a friend named Shannon and she can do anything. I am constanly in awe of her.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:45 AM   #1260
bjc1050
Turning the Heel

Hi and WELCOME, to all newcomers.

Indylou, another yorkie lover here. We currently have our 3rd yorkie...the others have passed away. Can't imagine life without a yorkie although we have our 1st pomeranian now. Poms are just as endearing as yorkies, but seem to think they are royalty,

I would highly recommend Susan Bates Silvalume circulars if you can get them locally. Ben Franklin stores have the best size selection. If you have to get your needles via catalog... you may as well get Addis from Jeff at Ebay. I don't think Addis are worth the $15 charged at many LYS when the most expensive Susan Bates are $6.95. They both feel good in your hands and knitting with either is a joy.

http://crochetbydayknitterbynight.blogspot.com/

Gen 8:22

While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease
KJV
bjc1050 is offline   Reply With Quote