Old 04-02-2006, 11:04 AM   #1261
Electriknits
Casting On

Hi Mel,
I taught myself to knit with this "I Taught Myself Knitting" kit by Boye that I bought at my local crafts store. It came with a a pair of 10" #8's and 10" #10's and looking back on it now I do believe that those were perfect for a beginner. They are not too slippery to let the stitches fall off of the needle but yet they also allowed tight stitches to slide fairly decent. Now that I am a little more comfortable with knitting I love circular needles for everything! If I use straight needles they seem to always be catching on my sleeves or chair arms or something. I would suggest a pair of Boye #10's to start (either circular or straight) and they are fairly inexpensive and easily found at craft stores. I just bought a set of Boye straight #10's, 10" and I paid $3.99. As far as what lengths you need or DPN's that would depend on what you are primarily going to knit.
I hope this helps and Good luck!
Shannon in Michigan
Electriknits is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-02-2006, 11:07 AM   #1262
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Welcome everyone to the forum!!

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 12:03 PM   #1263
Ellen Edwards
Working the Gusset

Hey everyone--it's been too long since I checked out who's new to the forum. My son and his family have been visiting and I was playing with my 18 month old grandson- -so hey! I had good reason. And now my son has gotten a great job with a GREAT raise-- about 4 hours from us...and they've been 10 hours away for 10 years, so I'm so happy I could , well DANCE!!

My dh and I have been up here in Virginia, our home state, and they've been in Alabama and I'm dying to get them back up here!! :XX:

OTN--Just socks right now. Not good at more than 1 thing at a time!
Ellen Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 12:16 PM   #1264
Jennylou
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to Jennylou
Hi
Hi all,

I am new to this site but not to knitting. I notice that this is a mainly USA based site so I hope you dont mind me joining all the way over here in the UK.

I have been knitting since I was 5 years old on my nannys knee. Now I knit jumpers and things for my son and my friends kids. I find it relaxing and destressing. And boy am I stressed today. We are trying to buy a new house and our buyers have pulled out so we have two weeks to find new buyers or we lose our new house. I could scream!!!!!!!

Well I will certainly put some Q&A's up from time to time and I am on yahoo messenger if anyone wants to chat.

Jenny :XX:
Jennylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 01:50 PM   #1265
idgeek
Casting On

Am I the only guy in here?
I'm Phillip from Michigan.

I've always been interested in knitting. I actually tried to learn to knit by myself several times before but failed. About six months ago, a coworker of mine showed me how to cast-on and do knit stitch. Since then, I've learned to purl-knit and bind off. I've sucessfully finished two scarves and now I'm working on my third with different colors. It's VERY rudimentry, but I'm having a blast!

I dream of making me sweaters and socks especially.

I LOVE TO KNIT! ('though my buddy friends thinks I'm turning little bit weird...)
idgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 07:31 PM   #1266
bjc1050
Turning the Heel

Hi, Phillip. Welcome. No you aren't the only guy here. One guy is a truck driver. Haven't seen any posts from him lately.

http://crochetbydayknitterbynight.blogspot.com/

Gen 8:22

While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease
KJV
bjc1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 07:41 PM   #1267
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Welcome! We have Brits and men, so you'll both fit right in!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:07 AM   #1268
Toast King
1st Leg of the Journey

Hi there
I've just found this thread so thought I'd say hi!

I'm Katie, and also a Brit (there seem to be a few of us here!). My mum taught me to knit when I was quite little and I made several wobbly scarves and misshapen toys in the school holidays
I'm now 25 and picked up the needles again last year. I would say I'm a bit of a naughty knitter that can't finish one project before starting two others and I get seduced by all the pretty yarns in the shop!

I've really enjoyed reading all about you & your projects (I spend far too long browsing Whatcha knittin!) on this forum - thanks! I really should do some work now before I get busted by my boss

Ktxx :XX:
Toast King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:12 AM   #1269
Andrea
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via MSN to Andrea
Welcome everyone! And I second what Ingrid said, we have lots of Brits and men!!

No chorus?
Houyhnhnms!
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 08:07 PM   #1270
Nimmie
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to Nimmie Send a message via Yahoo to Nimmie
Hello!

I'm a very very VERY new knitter and a friend pointed me towards this site. I had been staring at a "How to knit" book for four days at work and it just didn't make sense. So, I tried out one of the videos on this site and it suddenly CLICKED! Now I'm about 3/4's of the way through my first project, a scarf. (My son is doubtful as to what it's really supposed to be...but it really is a scarf!)

Anyway, I'm excited about starting and I hope to be churning out recognizable things soon!
Current Projects:
Aran Sampler Afghan
SOCK MONKEY!!!!! (sock monkeys RULE!)
Nimmie is offline   Reply With Quote