Old 03-25-2005, 01:24 AM   #121
Shelly
Ribbing the Cuff

I'm new here!
I'm Shelly and wanted to introduce myself! I just started knitting :XX: about a month now. I"m so glad I found this website! Amy thank you for this website and putting so much work into it I have learned alot from it.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-25-2005, 11:53 AM   #122
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Welcome Shelly and LisaK!

Happy :XX: Knitting!

Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 10:18 PM   #123
Happy Knitting
Casting On

New Knitter
Hi my name is Laura. I have been knitting about 8 mons. I love this site. Your videos have been an invaluable source of help to me. I started my first sweater this morning.
Happy Knitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 01:26 AM   #124
Julie
Instepping Out

I'm Julie (of course! and I started knitting on January 2! I'm the daughter of a master knitter....really, my mom learned as a very young child and can knit anything in the world....but her teaching style and my learning style never meshed. She tried to teach me once and I was soured on knitting for many years!

So I looked on the Internet for a learning resource, and started trying to learn English knitting from diagrams, and it was sooo frustrating! I wanted to pitch everything out the window. I vented to my sister, and she said, "you ARE learning the GERMAN way, aren't you? Mom will KILL you if you don't!!" My search for videos led me to this site, and I decided to give continental a try. What a difference! Within a few hours I began to understand why people knit for fun. (And yes, the first question my mom asked when I told her that I had learned how to knit was, "are you holding the yarn in your left hand?!?!")

It's been great to have a human resouce at my disposal, but really, Amy's videos have taught me almost everything I know. They are so fantastic and I refer people here all the time.

After finishing a few small projects (hats, scarves, a poncho), I just finished my first big one last week: a sweater. I haven't weaved all the ends in yet, but it's all put together and I'm pretty darn proud of it! (I increased! I decreased! I picked up stitches for the neck!) Tomorrow morning I'm off to buy yarn for sweater #2, a gift for a baby shower on April 24.

I'm also trying to learn about color right now -- of course for my first practice piece I charted a letter of the alphabet, which doesn't lend itself easily to fair isle or intarsia, so I sort of had to combine them. Amy, I'd love to see more videos about knitting with color!

Thanks, Amy, for all of your hard work. You are a fabulous teacher!!
Old 03-28-2005, 08:09 PM   #125
yarn_newbie
Casting On

New to knitting
Hi All,
I am new to knitting. I have been crocheting for a little over two years. I wanted to learn knitting and tried to learn from "teach yourself" type books. Could not get beyond casting-on. Then took a class at my LYS - the tutor only taught "english knitting" and for the life of me, I couldnot get it. After the first day of class, I googled and found this site. Awesome tutorials Amy :-) - I almost immediately was able to get the continental knitting - probably becos of my crochet background. Thanks to you, Amy.

So far I have knit 1 slipper, a washcloth and am half way thru a garter stitch scarf using multi fizz.

I am looking forward to learning a lot from you all.

Thanks,
Subha
yarn_newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 10:44 PM   #126
zimmom
Casting On

New knitter here. Glad to have found this site!! can't wait to learn from all of you!!

:D

I love being a mom!!
zimmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 10:53 PM   #127
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Welcome Laura, Julie, Subha & Zimmom!!

Glad to have you all on board!
Amy
Old 03-29-2005, 09:55 AM   #128
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
Thank you so much for this site. I have been knitting for a week now solely using your videos (I'm a continental :D ) I have been crocheting forever and always wanted to learn to knit. I am going to have a knitting lesson on Thursday, but I am so glad I began early with this site. I think the lesson will be of the most help in how to hold/manage the needles and yarn (me knitting is not a pretty sight right now!) and how to read patterns. Thanks again and I hope to make good use of this forum in my future knitting endeavors!
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:41 AM   #129
midnightskyfibers
1st Leg of the Journey

Hey, Im Jenn and im a student and a fiber artist in the pacific nw where i run my business.

Ive been knitting since i was 5 and like to using my crafting as a tool for my politics- espeically my love of small business, feminist ideals, and environmental ethics.
Midnightsky Fibers Blog
midnightskyfibers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 01:27 AM   #130
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Welcome Kemp, have fun with your new skill!

Welcome Jenn! I checked out your site. WOW, you have incredible yarns! The fact that they're naturally made, with natural vegetarian dyes, is something I respect and appreciate a LOT. And hand spun! WOW. You're wonderful! Best of luck to you with your business! Those colors are incredible, BTW. ....I think I'll start a thread and ask you more details on your dyeing process if you don't mind!

Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham