Old 04-02-2005, 03:36 AM   #131
midnightskyfibers
1st Leg of the Journey

thats fine
Midnightsky Fibers Blog
midnightskyfibers is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-04-2005, 12:38 PM   #132
nonahs
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to nonahs
Hello everyone! I'm new here and I'm also new to knitting. I just learned last week, but I completed my first project (a purse/small bag) yesterday. :D I'm going to make a good friend of mine a purse for her upcoming birthday.

I'm almost 21 and I'm currently going to college for Secondary/English Education. I love dogs and horses, and I read and write a lot. I also enjoy making beaded jewelry, though I'm not very good at it, haha.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:12 PM   #133
Merry Stitcher
Ribbing the Cuff

Greetings,

I've been a "lurker" here for awhile (downloading and replaying many of Amy's wonderful videos) and a newbie knitter. Love the site and this delightful community.

I'm an obsessive quilter from Northern California. Learning to knit has provided me with a great break from my obsession.

I look forward to continuing to learn from you all.

Thanks,
Mary
Merry Stitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 09:23 PM   #134
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

Originally Posted by Merry Stitcher
I'm an obsessive quilter from Northern California. Learning to knit has provided me with a great break from my obsession.
That's how it started for me too! I'd write more but i HAVE to go knit, NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the group!
Old 04-05-2005, 12:19 AM   #135
Burt
Casting On

Amy,

Thanks for the great site and your terrific videos. My wife & I just started knitting in late February, with a mediocre video & almost all the books from the local library; but your videos are what really make things clear! By the way, a couple of days after I watched you make your own needles I tried the same thing with chopsticks (using steel wool to smooth them) -- now I have a spare set of #8s!

- Burt
Burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 01:39 AM   #136
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Hi! My name is Heather and I've been knitting for a few months now. I just decided one day "hey, I need a new hobby" and I've been going strong ever since. I've completed hats, scarves, purses, a sweater for my son, a jacket for myself, and just completed a hooded vest for my 2 year old niece. I live on the coast of Vancouver Island in western Canada, I have 2 boys...Levi age 3 and Owen age 1.

I've already gotten so much help from this website - it is an invaluable resource.

Knit on!! :XX:
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 12:27 PM   #137
benniesma
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to benniesma
Hi from Laura!
I've been lurking on this site for a few weeks now. Posted a few questions. I thought it might be nice to actually introduce myself!

My name is Laura. (Everyone say Hiii, Laura!) I'm a 34 year old SAHM. Well, I teach preschool, but that's only 12 hours a week so I have a hard time thinking of it as working. I have one DH and 2 little kiddos - a 4 1/2 year old DS and a 2 year old DD. Before becoming a SAHM I was a school librarian.

I've been reteaching myself to knit since January. My grandmother taught me when I was a preteen. I enjoyed it, but wasn't good at it. A woman from my church taught us how to make those fuzzy scarves recently and I've been hooked ever since! Since then I've made a few scarves, a hat for my dad, and am working on a poncho for DD. I have a pattern for a felted purse, so hope to start that soon!

I am also a certified craft junkie. You name it, I've done it! So my hubby just rolled his eyes when I took up knitting again. My other huge hobbies are scrapbooking and rubber stamping. I also love to do stained glass, but that hobby has fallen by the wayside since the kids were born.

Anywhoo....sorry to go on and on! I'm lovin' this site. Thanks so much Amy for creating it! And I look forward to buying my first KH.com shirt!

Knit on!
Laura
Old 04-06-2005, 12:01 AM   #138
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Welcome Nonahs, Merry Stitcher, Burt, Heather, & Laura!!!

Burt, the chopsticks work well? They don't snag? Sounds great, if so! Good thinking!

Laura, hopefully I'll get the T-shirts up this week as planned. Man, where did the weekend go?

Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 01:38 AM   #139
Burt
Casting On

Needle nonsense
Originally Posted by amy
Burt, the chopsticks work well? They don't snag? Sounds great, if so!
They don't snag, because of the smoothing, but they are pretty slow, so I am not using them regularly. Also, they taper very gradually to the full diameter of the needle, so I might improve them by cutting off a bit of the tip and sandpapering a new point. (I was glad to hear you talk about commercial needles snagging -- I had that happen, and splintering! and thought it was my fault.)

I read somewhere, re knitting on airplanes, that someone took pencils on board, sharpened them, and used them as #11s! And now my wife wants us to try shish-kebob skewers as small dpns...

- Burt
Burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 01:29 PM   #140
benniesma
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to benniesma
Originally Posted by amy
Laura, hopefully I'll get the T-shirts up this week as planned. Man, where did the weekend go?
Ack! No pressure on you Amy! I had just been enjoying reading that thread, so the shirts were on my mind.