Old 10-31-2006, 12:43 PM   #1611
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,907 Posts
Hello, all you new members!

Now, we have more friends to love!
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-31-2006, 04:51 PM   #1612
trollgirl
Ribbing the Cuff

Hi all!

I've been lurking for a few weeks, checking out all the good advice. This site has been a really big help to me.

I'm relatively new to knitting. I've always wanted to knit. I asked my mum to teach me how when I was a kid, and she only knew how to make a knit stitch English-style, so we (incorrectly) cast on some stitches and I made some garter stitch fabric that I kept for years and years because I was so proud of it.

I got older and decided to teach myself from books. I knit a scarf, then gave it up because my ex-boyfriend thought it was a waste of time and money and wasn't happy with me knitting. He had some rather twisted feminist ideas and thought that if I was knitting then I couldn't possibly have any other 'worthwhile' ambitions and all I wanted to do was become a homemaker.

(Wow, I got a little ranty there, sorry.)

Anyway, a year later, I moved to Canada where it is really, REALLY COLD and I caught the bug again when I decided to knit a cunning hat (Jayne's hat, from Firefly) for the (new) significant other. He loves it and everyone else thinks its neat so I'm really happy. I then knit another three hats in a week and a half, and I think I'm seriously hooked this time. I can't wait to try new things like cables and lace.

- tam

P.S. I bought my first skein of malabrigo yarn this weekend after seeing everyone going crazy over it and wondering what the big deal is. It is sooo pretty...
trollgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 05:10 PM   #1613
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
Originally Posted by trollgirl
I got older and decided to teach myself from books. I knit a scarf, then gave it up because my ex-boyfriend thought it was a waste of time and money and wasn't happy with me knitting. He had some rather twisted feminist ideas and thought that if I was knitting then I couldn't possibly have any other 'worthwhile' ambitions and all I wanted to do was become a homemaker.
Glad to hear he's an EX. That's such a Neanderthal attitude! Knitting doesn't equal homemaker, and even if you do want to be a homemaker, that's you RIGHT to choose for yourself what your future will be.

Oh, and hi! Nice to meet you!

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 10:26 PM   #1614
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Welcome, Tam! Funny story about knitting
Old 11-01-2006, 10:29 AM   #1615
Compulsive
1st Leg of the Journey

Hello all,

I learned to knit by watching the Knitting Help video clips last Holiday season. I knitted several scarves and a hat out of The Knit Stitch book along with a Booga felted bag. Then summer arrived--lol. Now, I have the knitting bug again after relocating to Minnesota where there is practically a yarn store every few miles or so, seriously. I know am the proud owner of a quickly growing yarn stash--who knew you could buy such soft and yummy fibers with a click of the mouse! I love Elann's, Web's, KnitPicks, and Smiley's for finding great deals. I also found that Michael's sells natural fiber yarns along with blends, and other fiber types. I've been picking up several skeins a week of Paton's SWS with those 40% off coupons. I LOVE that yarn!

Hope to get to know everyone.

Compulsive Carmen
Compulsive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 04:10 PM   #1616
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Welcome Carmen!
Old 11-03-2006, 01:57 PM   #1617
DonnaS
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to DonnaS Send a message via MSN to DonnaS Send a message via Yahoo to DonnaS
Well I don't think I've joined this forum before at any point lol but here goes

I'm Donna and live in central Alabama. An avid crocheter, knitting has been something I've wanted to pick back up for some time now. When I got roped into doing lessons in beginning knitting at our local Michaels (open mouth insert foot.. no other foot this time) I decided I'd better get proficient in it again and now 6 weeks later I'm halfway through my first two projects, one of which is a baby sweater.. so I guess I'm doing pretty good? lol

I knit continental which probably comes down to I've used my left hand for yarn with the crochet for years so this was more comfortable and my speed is getting better and better... I really enjoy this It's a nice change and some different options and for me, works better for wearable things but I will never put down my hooks either

Anyway, when I'm not knitting/crocheting I'm either at work as a legal secretary, training one of my horses for a show or hanging out with my hubby who is a local locksmith. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone and learning as much as possible as well as sharing when I can
DonnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:35 PM   #1618
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Welcome, Donna!
Old 11-04-2006, 06:51 PM   #1619
sheknits
Casting On

Hello, all!

I've been hanging out in this forum for six weeks or so, sucking all the useful knitting info from your brains and then pretending I thought of it myself!

Took up knitting in August of this year, and have found it very relaxing and meditative ... except for all the cursing and ripping things out! Had some scary surprise medical challenges come up this fall, and knitting has been a wonderful way for me to focus my attention on something other than myself.

I have two fabulous sons (3 and 6) and they love to watch me knit. Trouble is, they keep asking me when I'm going to knit something for THEM! :D

So glad to have found this place!
sheknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 02:42 PM   #1620
zkimom
Working the Gusset

Hi Amy and all,

I am so doing the happy dance (here I am ) to have found this site! The very first thing I did was check out the video on Kitchner (I was seriously Kitchner-phobic) and after watching that and a few more on finishing techniques I am one happy camper. Now I can try a pair of socks that aren't toe-up!

So -- I am an older mom with younger kids (me heading towards 50 fast and them 12 and 8 1/2) I have been knitting for years but just really catching on in the past year. Last year was a year of scarves and this year I have really branched out. Felted bags, toe-up socks, fingerless mitts with cables and knitted toys galore!

My kids are in a Waldorf school and so they both knit. (My son made a pair of socks last year and it was the humiliation of having my 5th grader offer to help me with my Kitchner that sent me to toe-up socks only. Til now that is.)

I bring knitting with me almost everywhere I go. You never know when you will have 5 minutes to knit a few rows.

I am also a photographer and some of the local yarn stores in my area are carrying greeting cards I made with my yarn photos. When I have 5 minutes to myself I'll post some.

Anyway, thanks for the site! Gotta go pay the bills and do some work so I can afford more yarn

Best,
Susan

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote