Old 12-20-2006, 01:45 AM   #1691
FearTheSpork
Ribbing the Cuff

Hi! I'm pretty new to knitting. I've been wanting to learn since I was seven, and learned how to cast on and knit and bind off when I was ten, but kept dropping it for many months at a time. I always got bored of making plain baby blankets and scarves and dishcloths. Three weeks ago, I decided that I was going to learn to do patterns and stuff if it killed me, and turned to the internet, since I didn't know anyone who knew how to do that. Soon enough, I found a site that gave me directions on increasing, purling, and decreasing. Unfortunately, the directions on purling were wrong, and I got really frustrated, trying in vain to make this dishcloth, then found this site, and learned to purl and stuff. I also switched to Continental knitting recently, and, as soon as I get my hands on some double-pointed and/or circular needles (which will probably not be soon-I've looked everywhere, but I can't find them!), I'm going to try hats and socks and stuff.
FearTheSpork is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-20-2006, 01:53 AM   #1692
mystery
Ribbing the Cuff

I think I've been here long enough to welcome new members. So... welcome to the forum! I know you'll like it here

mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:49 PM   #1693
Jackie M.
Turning the Heel

Re: new member
Originally Posted by ysabell616
Hi, My name is Tracy and I'm from Texas.
Hi Tracie

I'm in the DFW area too! Only been knitting a little over a year and getting better.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:57 PM   #1694
Ravennwings
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to Ravennwings
I just have to say, WOW. I mean, just absolutely WOW.

I'm a 19-year-old SAHM trying to put myself through college and help take care of my son, Tobias. To try and raise up money, I decided to do something I've always wanted to do--start up my own craft shop. I 've always been good at making stuff, particularly hemp necklaces (which are always sexy and never go out of style, lol). I'd always wanted to make my own shop, but never had the means--until I discovered Etsy. With Etsy, I have achieved a life goal, lol. So now, since I'm already good with hemp, leather, and the like, I figured I'd try my hand at knitting. But I had no idea where to begin; the patterns made absolutely NO sense to me (okay so the patterns themselves still don't, but at least I know how to do this stuff now).

And then, I found this site, and I have to just say that this site has been SO VERY VERY HELPFUL. I mean, it's just absolutely incredible!!!! The videos are sooo easy to follow, and almost everything I need to know is right here. So thank you, thank you, THANK YOU from the very bottom of my heart!

OTN- Fluffy stuffed kitty!
Ravennwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 12:51 PM   #1695
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,907 Posts
Nice to meet you, Raven! Good luck with the craft shop!
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:21 PM   #1696
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

Welcome Raven and Sporky!!!
Old 12-26-2006, 11:33 AM   #1697
cinnybuns
1st Leg of the Journey

New knitter in nyc
Hi guys GREAT SITE BTW

I'm a beginner knitter, made a few scarfs when I was up in Buffalo New York.

Now that I moved back down to NYC i'm interested in knitting some mittens to go with my scarf.

I recently purchased my stitch n bitch handbook, and am working on the fuzzy cuff mittens.

It's my first project with double pointed needles, knitting in a round, anyone who can help me would be helpfull.

Thanks all
cinnybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 03:04 PM   #1698
madametj
Working the Gusset

welcome cinnybuns! welcome new members!

Bust some Stash!
madametj on Ravelry (quick, go add me as your friend and I'll add you! )
madametj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:12 AM   #1699
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
New To Knitting - Thanks Amy!
I'm a 45 yar old guy, a trucker by trade, who just took up knitting. When I say "just" I mean as of yesterday.

I am working on my very first project, a simple garter stitch scarf for my mother. It's a slow start, but thanks to Amy's wonderful videos I am starting to get the hang of it.

Many thanks to Amy for the wonderfully helpful videos. I'd still be lost without them.
Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 07:27 PM   #1700
Jess_knit
1st Leg of the Journey

Hi everyone - this is a fabulous site!

I'm a new, 14 year old knitter who's been lurking and avidly reading posts for a couple weeks. I learned to knit when I was in third grade, but dropped it for a couple years out of boredom. I picked it back up again a few weeks ago when I found this site, and this time, I was instantly hooked.

I've made a few simple scarves (garter, stockinette) and a few little projects. Right now I'm working on the Branching Out scarf, which is far easier than I expected, and fun when I'm not ripping my hair out over a dropped/extra stitch. (Which tends to happen at least once a repeat )

I got the KP Options set as an early Christmas/Hanukkah present, and love them, and my yarn stash is already building up too much for a new knitter! I'm hoping to visit my LYS for the first time tomorrow or in the next few days, and buy some yarn for a pretty shawl.

The posts here are a huge help, as are the videos, so thank you everyone! xxx
Jess_knit is offline   Reply With Quote