Old 02-14-2007, 12:02 PM   #1811
Brrlracinbt
Ribbing the Cuff

I am new here! I am an obsessed young knitter that doesn't stop once I start something! I am expecting my first child in a month and a half and am constantly knitting something new for him!
Patiently waiting: Knitted keys, baby bibs, burp clothes, baby girl kimono (for friend)
Recently FO: Baby sweater vest with hood (original design) Baby Bib, Felted Clogs (Fiber Trends) Topi from Knitty
Brrlracinbt is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-14-2007, 04:52 PM   #1812
ajrknit4me
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to ajrknit4me
I just stumbled onto this site this morning. I was trying to figure out what a "thumb" cast on was, so I googled it and found you! I have been knitting for about 2 years, but I still consider myself a beginner. I have quite a collection of dishclothes!! That's been my main project. I have recently expanded my repatoire to include hats. I finally figured out how to use circular needles and double pointed. I've just started trying patterns with more than knit and purl!! It's been fun. I've also made a lot of scarfs. Everyone has at least one made by mom!
ajrknit4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 05:53 PM   #1813
Markette
Ribbing the Cuff

Hi, all, new knitter here. Friday a week ago I decided to take up knitting, so I went to the BIG Joann (we have some good LYS in my area, but I figured best to start small and inexpensive) and picked up some yellow Lily Sugar & Cream and a size 7 circular needle, reported to the sofa, cranked up Amy's videos on the laptop, and taught myself to knit. I've got almost two skeins of yarn into my basketweave baby afghan, which I calculate is about 1/2 way done (seeing as I bought 4 skeins...).

Of course, k4 p4 got a little bland after a bit, so I ordered the Fiber Trends clog pattern and knit up a pair for myself and some my husband. I picked up the Boye Needlemasters because I couldn't find the right size needles for the clogs, only to come back to the forum and see that the Options are better. Must order Options, then, and return Needlemaster. Except Options doesn't have the right size for the clogs, so really I should just keep both sets. I also have this compulsion where I can't just buy one thing, so I got yarn and a pattern for a sweater with the Options order. And that's just the beginning. I think I'm addicted. I stay up late knitting, skipping meals if my husband doesn't whine enough for food, and get up early to knit before work. At work, I read this forum and look at patterns and yarn.

However, as my husband so cleverly put it, my hobby is hobbies, so who knows how long this will last before I move on to something else. I think with all the different techniques to learn and yarns to try, however, (at some point I get to graduate to the good stuff) this will keep me busy for quite a while. It's just so darn satisfying to see the yarn turn into something real. Plus, I can do it while watching TV if it's easy, or it keeps me busy while he's studying if I need to count stitches and pay attention. And if I stick with it for at least a month, I'll allow myself a nice knitting bag. If not, I'm going to have a lot of yarn hanging around...

Completed:
Fiber Trends felted clogs x2 (still drying)
Knitty Center Square Hat from clog leftovers

On the Needles:
Marsan Watchcap
Basketweave Baby Afghan

Coming Soon:
Fiber Trends felted bunny (for a baby gift, b/c who knows when I'll finish the afghan)
Knit Picks Phoebe Pullover in Andean Silk (Leaf)
Wicked sweater in KP Swish Superwash (Dark Navy) (because I'm obviously ready for sweaters with cables )
Girl from Auntie Celtic Cap
scarves (with cables!) and more caps from leftovers

In other words, be forewarned: I will have many questions!
PS, I tend to get a little wordy (and use a lot of parentheticals). Sorry about that.
Markette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 12:53 PM   #1814
cjsbmoore
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to cjsbmoore
Hey there!! I've been using the videos for quite a while (I can't just look at pictures and figure stuff out, I need to see it being done), but this is my first post. I do have a question hopefully someone can answer.... I recently bought my first pair of circular needles and I need to know how to straighten them out. Each time I try to knit with them my project curls up. Can anyone help???!??!!
cjsbmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:21 PM   #1815
ZELDAdog
Casting On

Hi! Just found the site and think it's gonna be a great resource! I taught myself to knit about 6 years ago--had not knitted in several years though until last week! I'm currently 31 weeks pregnant and have been on bedrest for almost 3 weeks--I had exhausted other efforts to keep me busy so I broke out the knitting needles and yarn! I was working on a very simple v-neck sweater--and ran out of yarn halfway thru the 2nd sleeve! Of course the yarn I used is discontinued and I can't find any anywhere! I am not discouraged yet--just gotta find some compatable yarn and I'll put a stripe in the sleeves! No one will ever know! LOL!

I am a SAHM to two boys--ages 4 and 2--with another boy on the way! My due date was April 17th, but the docs say I won't go that long! So I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new little one!

I've been married to my DH, Mark, for 9.5 years--he puts up with all my "hobbies"! And funds them too! LOL!
Old 02-16-2007, 03:41 PM   #1816
Nikita-amimono
Ribbing the Cuff

Hi, from Italy
Hi, everyone!

My name is Niki and I am a Japanese woman who lives in Italy.

I finally have learned to knit last Nov. and since then I finished a scarf with garter stitch.
Now I am working on a lapgahn and it is almost done!

I'm looking forward to visit often and get to know you all.

Ciao,

Niki
Nikita-amimono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 03:42 PM   #1817
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Welcome to the forum everyone!!

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 10:00 PM   #1818
kimbernan
Casting On

NEW TO THE KNITTING WORLD
Hey Knit sisters
I m new to this world. I am trying to learn to cast on , any tips?
kimbernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 10:04 PM   #1819
Lisa_H-Town
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa_H-Town
Hi Y'all,
This is the most amazing thing -- I am so grateful to have found this website and all the wonderful folks that help each other! I have been visiting for a couple of weeks (hours on end) and am encouraged by the kindness and support of everyone. I feel like I know y'all.

I got a "Teach yourself to Knit" kit from my mom for Christmas (requested gift). I used to crochet back in my younger days. This site has been a blessing in the learning process!!

I LOVE the going to the store and buying stuff, and I am having a better understanding of why my husband has to buy lures EVERY time he goes fishing... it's so fun to go touch all the yarns (I am a very texture oriented person) and look at the patterns.... I am going to have to learn about finding a pattern I like, and a yarn I like, and making them work together... starting tonight! I found a pattern I liked, but the yarn wasn't available... so found some that felt good, and will see what adjustments I need to make. I am used to starting several times........... (And y'all don't even want to know what I thought "Frog" stood for!)

I have tons of questions, but am going to go slow, so I can absorb as I learn. I have to get comfortable with the fact that I don't have to know everything at once....

Lisa_H-Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 01:23 AM   #1820
Shannon4J
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to Shannon4J Send a message via MSN to Shannon4J Send a message via Yahoo to Shannon4J
Hi from NC
Hello!

I found this while browsing through the KnittingHelp.com site! Haven't looked around yet, so off I go!!!

Currently I'm making a pair of wristwarmers for my dd. Should finish tonight!! xxx

Current Project:
Textured Dishcloth: Pattern from my Peaches & Creme cotton yarn! It's looking pretty so far!!

FINISHED:
Dish Towel and Dish Cloth set for a friend!

http://www.positiveprayers.com
Change Your Prayers * Change Your Life!
Shannon4J is offline   Reply With Quote