Old 02-21-2007, 07:53 PM   #1831
madametj
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by amishgirl281
Hey guys I'm new to the site and to knitting in general. I started back around september when my best friend suggested that it would be a good way to stop snacking but until January, all I was doing was simple knit scarfs. Now I'm trying to learn some new stuff and I just finished my first hat. Didn't turn out to well though, but at least I finished it. Me and my roomate really are in love with knitting now and this website has been a huge help.

Anyway, just wanted to pop by, say Hi, and introduce myself.
amishgirl281- just curious, i might sound stupid, but are u really amish? what do u think of weird al's song "amish paradise"? funny or offensive? well he really is...weird so i wouldn't take anything he says seriously.

oh, and isn't it against the amish religion to use modern things like computers?

Bust some Stash!
madametj on Ravelry (quick, go add me as your friend and I'll add you! )
madametj is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-21-2007, 08:16 PM   #1832
PHeath
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to PHeath
hey, I'm new
I've heard about this site fairly often but I'm always hesitant to join forums. And now I'm hung up on a project SO I am coming to all of you for advice. I'm a military spouse getting ready to move and have lots of time on my hand at the time being during the transition. No kids yet, but we're tryin' I'm moving somewhere semi-cold (Ohio) so I need to get some nice looking scarfs made before I venture out.

I haven't been knitting too long, but I feel like I am just now starting to get good at this stuff.

NEway, nice to meet all of ya'll.

Patti
PHeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:33 PM   #1833
ReneeKnits
Knitting the Flap

hey I'm new
Hey Patti, I'm new here myself but have been knitting for a while. I too was hesitant to join a group but I have a good friend who just raves about knittinghelp so I finally took a look and liked what I saw.

Anyway, I'm not a military wife but have moved enough times to be one...my husband was a consultant for a long time and we traveled with him until the kids were too numerous and too old to keep boxing up their lives.

That is one of the reasons I began knitting many years ago - to fill my free time with something portable that I would enjoy.

And I remember all too well what it was like to stare at those knitting patterns and feel like my eyes would cross. If I can help just ask away... and welcome to the site - there are some great folks here!

Renee
Old 02-22-2007, 06:43 PM   #1834
hob
Knitting the Flap

hello! im stacey,aka hob(after the writer robin hobb if your intriested) im 21 and have just finaly after pritty much all my life of wanting to i can knit ..ok not well and only purl and knit still thats better then nothing. i juat wanted to say hi and this websites so helpfull! and the knitters on this forum i posted a question and it was anssered in minnets even tho it was a stuipd question, they were realy nice. thank you knitters(sorry i forgot there forum name) hopefully one day i'll get all good and will beable to knit all manner of things like my nan could ... she once knitted me a scotish man im not sure why but he had knitted bagpieps and everything. ok i said my hi.
hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:22 PM   #1835
fuzzylock
Casting On

Very Very Grateful
I am very grateful for the How To videos. I'm over 30 and I've been trying to find a hobby other than reading, something I can do with my hands. My husband has a hobby and I was jealous because he spends a lot of time doing what he loved, which is a good thing. So first, I tried to crochet. I bought a book and everything. Then, I bought a sewing machine and started making clothes. Then I wanted to knit. I had no idea how to. I just remember seeing elderly womaen moving some long needles around, up and down. However, when I decided to knit, I realized how easy it was (thanks to the videos) and how it crossed all age lines. I have enjoyed myself so much. I've made a purse and I'm in the process of making a scarf with the novelty yarn.
The purse was really a scarf until it started taking a strange turn. I'd mistakenly increased (how, I don't know) and my scarf looked awkward, so I decided to turn it into a purse. Go figure. It was fun.
My daughter and I are both learning together. Tips and help would be appreciated.

fuzzylocks
fuzzylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:07 AM   #1836
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

Hi all!!! Glad to see you!! (Hi Renee, you know me too!!!)

Feel free to PM any of the Mod Squad if you have specific questions about where to find things on the site, how to navigate the forums, or the text effects.

You can post questions about knitting in the HOW TO forum (click here), and don't forget to use our FABULOUS search feature located at the top of every page.... chances are, if you have a question, 10 other people had the same question too, and the answer is just waiting for you to find it

We strive to make this a knitting family, not just a forum. Check out the Blog Threads for a glimpse into our members' lives... sometimes TMI but always full of friendship and support. Looking for friends in your area??? Knitters Knear You will help you hook up with fellow yarnaholics.

We have several Knit-a-Longs going all the time... there is a "challenge" every month for KHers, but you can join or start a knit-a-long anytime Don't forget to post your process and FO (finished object) in the Watcha Knittin forum!

Got Yarn? Need more? (yes, you do) If you have something to trade or sell, or are looking for notions, good deals on needles, or books, check out the Buy Sell Swap forum.

Finally, if you're into spinning your own yarn---or if you WANT to be (we are great enablers here!)---check out the Spinning Forum .

Welcome! Have fun, make friends, and KNIT! xxx
Old 02-23-2007, 10:24 AM   #1837
ReneeKnits
Knitting the Flap

Hi Hilde! Sorry I didn't mention that I knew you also oops! And most of all thanks for the welcome - this is a great site full of very nice people - it truly is an online family !

I've been keeping up with yall's progress by reading the Wicked knit along - can't wait to see them in real life! And eventually I will make one but I have joined in on the Beauty Cotton knit along right now.

Thanks again for the welcome - this is a great place to connect with wonderful knitters.

Could you please explain the Mod Squad - I'm not the most computer savvy gal... this is the first forum I've ever joined and my 12 year old had to help me find an avatat (I didn't even know what that was before a few days ago)

Happy knitting to everyone!

Renee
Old 02-23-2007, 11:30 AM   #1838
ReneeKnits
Knitting the Flap

Hilde,

Please, please, please don't boot me off this site! After posting the last reply I jumped in the shower and the light bulb went off - Mod squade being moderators...DUH

Yes, I can be that dense sometimes...well, okay, most of the time

Please forgive and happy Friday knitting!

Renee
Old 02-23-2007, 11:32 AM   #1839
amishgirl281
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to amishgirl281
Originally Posted by madametj
Originally Posted by amishgirl281
Hey guys I'm new to the site and to knitting in general. I started back around september when my best friend suggested that it would be a good way to stop snacking but until January, all I was doing was simple knit scarfs. Now I'm trying to learn some new stuff and I just finished my first hat. Didn't turn out to well though, but at least I finished it. Me and my roomate really are in love with knitting now and this website has been a huge help.

Anyway, just wanted to pop by, say Hi, and introduce myself.
amishgirl281- just curious, i might sound stupid, but are u really amish? what do u think of weird al's song "amish paradise"? funny or offensive? well he really is...weird so i wouldn't take anything he says seriously.

oh, and isn't it against the amish religion to use modern things like computers?
Hey Actualy I'm not really amish, it's just a nickname with a long and slightly boring story behind it. But yeah, you are right, it is against the amish religion to use computers which is why I could never be amish. Computer = love. But I do actually think the weird al song is quite funny. I listened to it non stop when I was a bit younger.
amishgirl281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 05:36 AM   #1840
REVS
1st Leg of the Journey

Hi everybody,

I don't remember how I stumbled across Amy's knitting tutorials and videos, but I LOVE them. Thank you so very much for providing them and making them accessible to everyone. It's been a great help! For my first lace scarf I learned all the different decreases by watching here. And it turned out great!
:D

Well, now I finally found the Forum and I'm addicted! This seems like a wonderful place, thanks for Amy and the Mod Squad for setting this up and for everyone else who contributes to make this feel cozy.

Thank you!
-- Ruth
REVS is offline   Reply With Quote