Old 05-15-2007, 02:21 PM   #1971
newknitter44102
Ribbing the Cuff

New Knitter in Ohio
Hello, everyone, I'm a very new knitter who is easily starting to be in love with knitting. I guess I'm pretty crafty because I've done cross-stitch for almost 10 years off and on (mostly off...lol) and I really wanted to crochet but I went to a local Stitch N Bitch group and everyone was knitting, plus it seemed that crochet was so hard. So, I'm learning the basic knit stitch.I really want to make some cute scarves and maybe even a blanket or two. I look forward to talking to everyone, new or expereinced.
newknitter44102 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-15-2007, 05:13 PM   #1972
City & Country
Ribbing the Cuff

Hello all!

Just wanted to say "hey." Amy, this is a terrific site! I'm recommending it to other knitters and "students" of mine (I use quotes, because most of you are more advanced than I am).

I learned about this site from a helpful operator at "Knitpicks" who, when I didn't understand what SSK was (I thought I knew all the decrease techniques) pointed me to this site. A picture (or in this case, a video) tells a thousand words, and what I didn't understand verbally over the phone, I understood instantly after viewing the visual explanation here! Many, many thanks!!!

I look forward to many chats, posts, and sharings with you all!
Old 05-15-2007, 05:15 PM   #1973
City & Country
Ribbing the Cuff

Hello all!

Just wanted to say "hey." Amy, this is a terrific site! I'm recommending it to other knitters and "students" of mine (I use quotes, because most of you are more advanced than I am).

I learned about this site from a helpful operator at "Knitpicks" who, when I didn't understand what SSK was (I thought I knew all the decrease techniques) pointed me to this site. A picture (or in this case, a video) tells a thousand words, and what I didn't understand verbally over the phone, I understood instantly after viewing the visual explanation here! Many, many thanks!!!

I look forward to many chats, posts, and sharings with you all!
Old 05-15-2007, 06:35 PM   #1974
Braden
Instepping Out

Welcome! Great, another guy knitter. We should form a club.

CONGRATULATIONS TO AMY AND SHELDON ON THE BIRTH OF THEIR DAUGHTER!

BradenCS on Ravelry
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:08 PM   #1975
pointy_teeth
Ribbing the Cuff

Confessions
Hi, newbie here. I've been knitting on and off for the past, eh, 2 or 3 years. I've been really obsessed with knitting lately. I'm an art major in school but lately, I can't stop thinking of knitting. I want to start all these cool free patterns I find online, I keep looking at and buying yarn from online stores. The past few days, I've been reading knitter's blogs and I keep seeing socks! So today, I went to my LYS and bought a ball of Austermann Step and a 12" circular to try my hand at it. I know I should be doing my school stuff, but, aaaahhhh! I just can't wait until summer's here and I can knit all day! I should probably find a job so I have yarn money! Hopefully, I can make my own pattern someday. Okay. That's it. I just wanted to put my two cents in.
pointy_teeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:57 PM   #1976
Braden
Instepping Out

Just wanted to quickly welcome you to the boards. There is a great group of people here! If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Search the Forum

BradenCS on Ravelry
Old 05-16-2007, 06:01 PM   #1977
Kiwi in BC
Casting On

Kiwi knitter
Hi there,
I've been a fan of this site for a while, but haven't posted anything before. I think the offical term for that is 'lurker', but that always makes me think of creeping around in bushes, Peeping-Tom style, so I won't use that term!
Anyway, I've been knitting on and off since I was little, always afraid to commit to anything big, and morbidly afraid of patterns. I have since learnt to overcome these fears, by jumping right in and knitting Pampas, from the Rowan autumn 06 magazine. It's knit in Big Wool, which cost me an arm and a leg, which was a good incentive to see it through. I had to knit it 3 times in total, as in, I got it all sewn up and tried it on, and it was about 5 sizes too big. So I frogged it, knit it again in a smaller size, seamed it, and it was about 3 sizes too big. At this point my slow brain finally realised that I shouldn't have ignored the bit about swatching! A lesson learned the hard way. So I knit it a third time, and it was a little bit too big still, so I got really angry with it, threw it in the washing machine, and it came out the perfect size! Not an approachI would recommend, but it worked anyway.

I have just finished my first Clapotis, for my Mum for Mothers Day, which came out great. I am also knitting a baby blanket of my own design for a baby due in September, and I'm contemplating starting Tubey (from Knitty.com) if I can get the yarn I have to approximate the correct guage.

So, that's me. I am from New Zealand, currently living in Vancouver, BC. I've been here about 3 months, and am hoping to find a nice friendly knitting group to join.
Kiwi in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:02 PM   #1978
Braden
Instepping Out

Welcome to the boards! You'll love it here, lots of friendly people!

Search the forum:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/search.php

BradenCS on Ravelry
Old 05-16-2007, 08:20 PM   #1979
Carrie218
1st Leg of the Journey

Greetings
I was just surfing around the 'net and found this site! How happy I am now... I've been knitting about three years and have been obsessed with cables. I'm now trying my first garment with lace (the Interweave Fall 2006, page 29 Gatsby Girl Pullover) and have had to pull the lace section out five times now!

I've done a few swatches of lace with no problem, but that is when I'm knitting an even square. The problem with me is that the lace section starts where the arm decreases are and I've been having a horrible problem in counting.

If anyone can direct me to some hints, I'd sure be appreciative!
Carrie218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:28 PM   #1980
pointy_teeth
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks!
Thanks for the warm welcome! I probably should have mentioned a little more about myself. I'm female, 20, from California. I learned to crochet when I was a wee little kid but never really made anything. I sort of taught myself knitting with books and videos from the library, but I'm still a bit of a beginner. I use the English method (might be weird since I learned crochet first. You'd think I'd be continental.)

Anyway, I have a few knitting projects lined up this summer and if I ever encounter a problem, you guys will be the first people I'll ask. Yay! I'm really excited now. I wish school was over... Thinking about finishing these projects makes me !
pointy_teeth is offline   Reply With Quote