Old 11-23-2004, 12:02 AM   #11
librarycat513
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to librarycat513 Send a message via Yahoo to librarycat513
I just want to say thank you thank you thank you for this website. I decided I needed to learn knitting last week, and the books I got weren't making any sense to me. I found your site, and the videos you made made what the books were saying finally make sense. I'm now working on a scarf and having a great time. :D

from "The Princess Bride"
librarycat513 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-13-2004, 04:08 AM   #12
SoapDoc
1st Leg of the Journey

Re: Welcome to the KnittingHelp forum!
Originally Posted by amy
This forum is a place where you can...
As a total newbie, THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart!! This site is FANTASTIC and I can't wait to get my CD so that I can practice even when I don't have access to the DSL line

I hope you all don't get sick of me and my questions once I acutally get going, I am sure there will be MANY!! I am having a hard time with even casting on at this point!!

Thanks again, Amy!!
Old 12-26-2004, 03:50 PM   #13
sheshanti
Casting On

Send a message via MSN to sheshanti
Counting rows
Hello all. I'm a new knitter and new to the website. Its pretty awesome!! My question: Is there a way to count the rows? I'm following a pattern that calls for a certain amount of rows and I can't figure out how many I've already done. Please help me.

Thanks so much...Sheshanti.
sheshanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 10:35 PM   #14
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Welcome Sheshanti!

Just count the "V's" if you're doing stockinette stitch or ribbing. Include the stitch on your needle, above the last V. For example, if you look on the Cast-On page, at the second picture from the top, which shows Double CO in ribbing, you can count 12 V's. The bottom V was done during the cast-on, because that cast-on creates an already knitted row, and then there were 11 more rows done after that (that are shown in the picture).

If you're working in garter stitch, you can count the "ridges." Every two rows creates one ridge. If you have six ridges on the front, and six on the back, you have done 12 rows. 6 on one side and 5 on the other side means you've worked 11 rows.

Happy Holidays and happy knitting!
Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 02:18 PM   #15
lydiaach
Casting On

This website is wonderful. I am so excited to learn from it! Thanks for creating it, Amy.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:47 PM   #16
Elizabeth Knits
Casting On

Thanks for the wonderful website and Forum
Thanks for the wonderful website and Forum. Hi my friend called from the west coast all excited about the yarn and needles she just bought and needed help getting started on her project. Well, I live on the East Coast and my first thought was a knitting video and there you were!!!! Sent her to your site and within seconds she was casting on. I'll give her a call in a few minutes to see how she is doing. With you wonderful instruction she's probably half way done with the scarf!!!! Purchased the Cd and looking forward to the DVD.
Elizabeth Knits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 10:10 AM   #17
Jeanne
Casting On

:D
Glad i found this site..I hope I can find the video for my problem..I am wanting to know how to KPK all in the same stitch...Thanks for a wonderful site...Jeanne
Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 06:02 PM   #18
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

A Big THANK YOU
Dear Amy,

Happy New Year 200555555555555.

I just have to THANK YOU. LIfe is funny, you give something up for a long time then bam! it's back in your life like crazy.
I've just started knitting again after several years break and there are so many little things I was afraid to tackle.

Because of your incredible fabulous videos I am doing things that just confuse me in books. I actually just tried Continental knitting which I swore I never would, why change something after so many years and it was the way I learned how to knit. BUT. My right arm and wrist were developing a painful cramp that I think may be relieved if I do Continental once in a while at least.

I have just been attempting my first SOCK w/5 dpns. Ripped it out 3 times. I cannot believe how fast you can go... (in your turning the heel video) . What excitement! So cool, you explain things so patiently and so that I can grasp it!

I have a house in upstate NY (besides NYC) and visited the Rhinebeck Sheep & Wool Fair last Oct. I am getting soooooo hooked. Amy, thank you thank you thank you for taking the time to put those videos up for free no less. You are a lovely & generous person. Victoria C.
VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 09:04 AM   #19
Peg
Ribbing the Cuff

Hi Amy, can you stand any more praise?! You've created a fabulous site! Thank you!
I'm another novice knitter and have found your video instructions invaluable! In fact I keep the left-overs of a skein of yarn and needles at my computer to practice new things.
Peg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 03:36 PM   #20
romonia
Casting On

Send a message via MSN to romonia
I need knitting help!!!!!!!!
What do I do after the first knit row!!! I am only 12 years old and I don't know what to do afetr that first knit row!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!