Old 06-01-2007, 12:45 AM   #2181
blueeyes
Casting On

hi iam new
hi iam new iam wanting to learn how to knit i hope someone from here can help me my name is connie iam disabled and sit at home all the time i am 45 years old i thought i could learn to knit and it would help me some to pass time and i could make gifts for my family and friends i want to learn it all from casting on to all other knitting so if anyone could help me i would appricate it oh iam in ga

connie
blueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-01-2007, 01:16 AM   #2182
Braden
Instepping Out

Welcome! There are many videos here that will help you learn how to knit. I would begin with #8, 24" circulars, with fairly flexible cables, and WOOL yarn. The reason I suggest circulars is so you can knit in the round and flat. Some books you might like are:

-The Knitter's Bible
-Any Barbara Walker Treasury (series of 4 large stitch dictionaries)
-Vogue Stitchionary Volume I
-The Sweater Workshop (best book ever). This book will get you started calculating your own, knit-in-the-round (seamless) sweaters in whatever yarn, needles, and gauge you like. Great Book.

Some websites you might like are:

-Lion Brand (for instructions, free patterns, tips, and stitches)

-Knitting Wisdom (stitches and patterns

-Knit Picks

~Happy Knitting!

CONGRATULATIONS TO AMY AND SHELDON ON THE BIRTH OF THEIR DAUGHTER!

BradenCS on Ravelry
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 07:07 AM   #2183
losnana
Working the Gusset

Welcome, welcome! i think the videos here are a great way to start. Good luck.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:58 AM   #2184
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

Hi, I haven't posted before, but made several visits. I'm a long time winter time knitter. It's great to see such an active knitters community online. I don't know any other knitters locally so it will be nice to visit online with fellow knitters. I'm glad to see such a resurgance in interest in younger people as well as oldtimers such as myself.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:02 AM   #2185
Jean_B
Casting On

Hi, I've never posted here before but this site is my 'go-to' place for knitting help!
I've been knitting simple projects for a couple of years, having taken a few knitting lessons over 30 years ago, but quit after a short time when life got in the way. Recently I completed my first lace shawl using KnitPicks lace merino. Now, I feel like an intermediate knitter and have almost completed Vermont Fiber's Ribbed Openwork Tank using SWTC bamboo. Learning new techniques and buying more yarn!
I am 68 yrs old, live in Central Texas with my husband of 50 ys, have 3 children, 6 grands and 2 great grands.
Thanks for all the help here!

Jean
Jean_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:19 AM   #2186
Braden
Instepping Out

Welcome to you both! Hope you like it here!

CONGRATULATIONS TO AMY AND SHELDON ON THE BIRTH OF THEIR DAUGHTER!

BradenCS on Ravelry
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:33 AM   #2187
Jeremy
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
hi iam new iam wanting to learn how to knit i hope someone from here can help me my name is connie iam disabled and sit at home all the time i am 45 years old i thought i could learn to knit and it would help me some to pass time and i could make gifts for my family and friends i want to learn it all from casting on to all other knitting so if anyone could help me i would appricate it oh iam in ga

connie
Welcome. I hope you come back often. Amy's videos here are a very good way to learn. I learned that way myself. We are a very patient, nice group of people who love to help other knitters. If you need help, post to the "how to section." Don't hesitate, no matter how simple you think the question is.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:34 AM   #2188
Jeremy
Mod Squad

Welcome Jean and Plantgoddess.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:05 PM   #2189
Early Bird
Casting On

Hi from England
I live near York and have knitted since I was a child (I'm now 57) - my current project is an aran jacket (for me, wonder of wonders) it's complicated but I've only got the sleeves to do now so I'm looking forward to wearing it. It's great to see knitting getting a high profile these days, with film star knitters & flash new yarns. The spin-off (oops, sorry about the rubbish pun there) is that there are now websites & magazines about it & it was was only when I started looking at these that I realised how many different ways there are to knit! Is there a "right" & a "wrong" way I wonder?

Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you to Amy for her help in getting me onto this board - I am looking forward to visiting lots!
Early Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:56 PM   #2190
KarenP
Casting On

HI
Hi to all; this looks like an interesting site. I'm in northern California and just got back into kniting since I'm soon to be a gramie.

I'd LOVE anyone who could email me the Rutabaga Bag pattern!

Thanks...Karen
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote