Old 06-08-2007, 04:30 PM   #2271
Mamakat3
Casting On

Hi, I am new here and hope to be able to learn many new things. I am a quilter and crocheter (word?) but I am new to knitting and I am determined to get better. I love the felted wool and have circular knit a tote bag which did not come out too bad. I have a problem now though that I hope someone can help me with. I am knitting a simple stockinette stitch scarf but my edges keep rolling under after a few rows so I ripped out about three times now, what am I doing wrong? Help if you can I really like knitting but I am getting frustrated!!! Thanks.
Mamakat3 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-08-2007, 04:39 PM   #2272
Jeremy
Mod Squad

Welcome Everyone.

I notice that we have a number of new members from Australia. Here is a link that will help you hook up with each other.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:43 PM   #2273
Jeremy
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by Mamakat3 View Post
Hi, I am new here and hope to be able to learn many new things. I am a quilter and crocheter (word?) but I am new to knitting and I am determined to get better. I love the felted wool and have circular knit a tote bag which did not come out too bad. I have a problem now though that I hope someone can help me with. I am knitting a simple stockinette stitch scarf but my edges keep rolling under after a few rows so I ripped out about three times now, what am I doing wrong? Help if you can I really like knitting but I am getting frustrated!!! Thanks.
Welcome to the Forum. The problem you describe is a very very common one. So common in fact that there is a sticky here . You are doing nothing wrong. The tension difference between the knit and purl stitches causes this. There are solutions mentioned in the thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeremy For This Useful Post:
Mamakat3 (06-08-2007)
Old 06-08-2007, 04:52 PM   #2274
Jeremy
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by Jenny Anne View Post
Hello to everyone, My name is Jenny Anne and I live in Sydney, Australia. I do love to knit, crochet and quilt in between looking after my 86 year old mother and sewing my own clothes, not to mention my husband and gorgeous poodle 'Ani'. Soon to be a grandmother, for the first time, at the early age of 54! Baby due in October 07 (we have knicknamed the baby 'Olive" because he/she was only the size of an olive when we saw the first ultrasound). So here I am madly knitting up tiny things for Olive and making too many mistakes. Knowing that my efforts will be closely scrutinized by a very clever mother-to-be daughter Samantha, I am endeavouring to improve (as one always does). It was persistence that led me to this wonderful place and thanks to Kiniting Help I have already found the answer to the problem I needed to solve! One question though, can I and if so, how can I, post pictures of my finished work to share with all our knitters. Modestly yours, Jenny Anne
Welcome Jenny. Congrats on Olive. Pictures can be uploaded by replying to a thread or starting a new one. As part of your reply, you would press the button marked "attachment." Then you would attach a picture that you have saved on your computer. Keep in mind that there is a size restriction here so you may need to resize the picture. The program under which you are saving the picture may help you do this or you may need to use a resizer on the internet. There are several who do it for free.Here is one that I have used in the past. Come back and ask more questions. We love to help here.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:36 PM   #2275
dulcimerlady
Casting On

I need some help
What a great site. I've been knitting on and off since I was 6. But now getting into it with a passion. I do however have a problem and I'm getting really frustrated. I am knitting with 2 strands of cotton yarn, making a really quick and easy summer pull over. However, the yarns continue to twist together forming knots. Does anyone have a trick to prevent this from happening? Thanks in advance.
dulcimerlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:37 PM   #2276
MaryG1959
Casting On

New to this forum
My name is Mary, I'm 48 and have 3 grown children, a 7 yr old grandson and another grandchild on the way. I'm happily married and we have several pets (dogs and parrots).

Started knitting as a child and I want to start again.
MaryG1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:25 PM   #2277
CadMax
Casting On

CadMax
I'm new to knitting and am just getting the basic -- I can see that there's alot to learn but this site will be a major help in bettering my skill.:
CadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:30 PM   #2278
MaleKnitter
1st Leg of the Journey

first post
well then, here is my first post, i have been visiting this site for a while now and am glad to finally be a part of it. i am a 16 year old male knitter. I learned how to knit and crochet in November 2006 and have done it all winter and most of this spring in my free time. I have tried to be a little quiet about being able to knit because I'm a boy, but now that I am seeing more and more men doing it (and I found out that some of the first knitters were men who made fishing nets) I feel much more comfortable with it. So, "Hello Everybody".
MaleKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:36 PM   #2279
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Originally Posted by MaleKnitter View Post
well then, here is my first post, i have been visiting this site for a while now and am glad to finally be a part of it. i am a 16 year old male knitter. I learned how to knit and crochet in November 2006 and have done it all winter and most of this spring in my free time. I have tried to be a little quiet about being able to knit because I'm a boy, but now that I am seeing more and more men doing it (and I found out that some of the first knitters were men who made fishing nets) I feel much more comfortable with it. So, "Hello Everybody".

Welcome! Glad to see another guy knitter here.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:01 PM   #2280
Mamakat3
Casting On

ok so now I tried the garter stitch for 3 rows before starting the stockinette and 2 stitches of k at the beginning and ending of every purl row and then 46 of purl and of course 50 right across on the knit row so that it won't curl up, but now instead of 50 stitches I am increasing somehow?! Any ideas as to what I am doing?
Mamakat3 is offline   Reply With Quote