Old 06-09-2007, 07:44 PM   #2291
manam1
Casting On

Introdusing myself
Hi my Name is Maxine, I am a keen knitter and have stumbled across your forum while searching for info on continental knitting. I am starting to get some RSI in my R forearm and have been looking for ways to help that. I have watched some of your very helpful videos and am on the way to learning the new technique.
I am from New Zealand and I guess will be on line when most of you are in your beds.
manam1 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-09-2007, 11:27 PM   #2292
Jeremy
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by dulcimerlady View Post
What a great site. I've been knitting on and off since I was 6. But now getting into it with a passion. I do however have a problem and I'm getting really frustrated. I am knitting with 2 strands of cotton yarn, making a really quick and easy summer pull over. However, the yarns continue to twist together forming knots. Does anyone have a trick to prevent this from happening? Thanks in advance.
Hi. Welcome to the forum. Off the top of my head, probably the best way to prevent yarn from tangling is to put the balls in tw separate bags. I'm going to copy your post and put it in the how to question forum to see if anyone else has an idea. So have a look there because we are a pretty helpful bunch
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:42 PM   #2293
Jeremy
Mod Squad

[quote=Mamakat3;874462]ok so now I tried the garter stitch for 3 rows before starting the stockinette and 2 stitches of k at the beginning and ending of every purl row and then 46 of purl and of course 50 right across on the knit row so that it won't curl up, but now instead of 50 stitches I am increasing somehow?! Any ideas as to what I am doing

This is a common problem and the subject of yet another sticky.

here
Old 06-09-2007, 11:45 PM   #2294
Jeremy
Mod Squad

Welcome to all new and returning members.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:30 AM   #2295
Zebragirlnz
Ribbing the Cuff

Hello There
Hi! My name is Deb, I live in NZ, I am 28 years old and my Dad taught me to knit when I was 10. I never really grasped it back then, but got into it a couple of years ago, while Dad was sick in hospital. It helped pass the time while he was sleeping etc. Unfortunately Dad passed away on July 16, 2005 from his brain tumour, but I am still knitting. Its something that reminds me of him, something I have because of him, and something that only he and I shared an interest in (my sisters weren't interested) so its a special thing for me. I haven't pulled out my needles in a few months, been busy with a new job, and the summer heat doesn't encourage knitting! Plus the store I get my knitting supplies from, cuts right back to basic wool in the summer, and that's not too inspiring! But winter has arrived, and the craving for the wool and needles has finally won! Pulled out my stash, and have been inspired to try a hooded scarf! I hate my ears getting cold! I know I will be coming back to the forum many times for hints and lots of help! Would be good to make some friends that share my addiction. Lots of people call me an old granny when they find out I knit! Hope to get to know you all soon.

"Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down."
Oprah Winfrey
Zebragirlnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 01:40 AM   #2296
Zebragirlnz
Ribbing the Cuff

Oops sorry, that was a bit of ramble!

"Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down."
Oprah Winfrey
Zebragirlnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 01:41 AM   #2297
EriBear
Casting On

Hey Everybody!
Just wanted to introduce myself to ya'll! I am new to the site and am a beginning knitter. I love it so far! All the cool things I am learning on this site are awesome. I have so many more things to learn and I hope you guys won't mind sharing new things with me. :D
EriBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:10 AM   #2298
hippie2u2
Casting On

My introduction
Hi,
first of all tnx for a good usefull site. For a beginning knitter it's hard to get started when your grandmother is no longer able to help you.
I'm Nadine and live in the Netherlands (born and raised). 30 years old and the last time I knitted whas on my grandma's couch when I whas seven. So I'm a little rusty even when it seems a lot easier now then it did then. While most books have great pictures (specially of the finished project) it's sometimes hard to understand how to get from one picture to the next, so those videos are great.

Right now I'm working on a try out scarf (one messy project to learn how to use all the different techniques and when finished wear proudly) and already bought wool for a couple of pillow covers. The lady in the store is very helpfull but she's to far away to visit every time I run into a problem.

hippie2u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 08:49 AM   #2299
losnana
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Zebragirlnz View Post
Oops sorry, that was a bit of ramble!
It's not a ramble, it's introducing yourself. I think most of us, at least, are interested in how others became knitters, and why it is so important.

Welcome all. You'll find that everybody here is very helpful, and many are able to answer any questions you may have. Unfortunately, I'm not one of those.

Enjoy

P.S. Has anybody noticed how very many new members we've gotten in the last week or so-many from other countries. We're truly international now.
Zebragirlnz (06-10-2007)
Old 06-10-2007, 01:07 PM   #2300
lissie
1st Leg of the Journey

Hi everyone, I'm from Singapore. I tried picking up knitting 10 years ago and failed spectacularly. Never even got past casting on! Decided to give it a shot again in recent months and was really glad to find this site. It's been extremely helpful!
lissie is offline   Reply With Quote