Old 07-04-2007, 01:28 PM   #2571
Lauri
Casting On

The New Knitter
I am a new knitter who is completing a felted bag with ICord Bind Off - Don't know what to do with the last five stitches - Any help in easy explanation?
Lauri is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-04-2007, 01:35 PM   #2572
jackyrussell
Casting On

Hello everyone
I have just found this site through a UK one - and decided to join! It looks really interesting - I have been knitting for years - just for myself and family - but suffer from 'unfinished project' syndrome - which means lots of yarn/patterns abandoned in corners! x I am presently knitting a jacket for myself and have almost completed the back - looking forward to some interesting reading on here! :happydancing:
jackyrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 03:19 PM   #2573
kathryn v
Casting On

My name is Kathryn and I've been knitting since college...hhhmmmm,
many more years ago than I care to admit! I am the mother of 4 grown children and recently a new grammy of 3 adopted grandchildren, whom I adore! Two beautiful little boys...one 6 yrs old from Taiwan and one 8 yrs old from Russia...and finally a gorgeous little girl from Colombia, South America who turned 8 in March! In the "old days," I could follow any pattern, and knit almost anything. But I got into other crafts for many years and now I don't seem able to remember many of the techniques I used to master...including knitting in the round and cable stitching. I'm addicted to yarn, and recently, when our only local knit shop closed its doors, my husband bought me one of their display shelving units. So I have almost ceiling to floor shelves in one of my guest rooms, and I love to go in and just sit and look at all the beautiful, colorful skeins of yarn. May sound a little nutty, but it's almost like a place of refuge when life becomes too hectic.
;-) I've been investigating natural fibers, and love knitting boas in recycled sari silk from Nepal. If anyone has experience with recycled silk, I'd love to know what items you've made, and what size needles you've used?? I'm also experimenting with bamboo yarns, and have made many little purses, which I line in colorful silk fabric. Does anyone have a source for decorative buttons?? In ending this post, I hope to exchange ideas for different projects. I really don't have any friends here who knit with the same verocity I do. Although I have been trying to form a weekly knitting circle here on the island, so far I haven't had any response. BTW: If you haven't read "The Knitting Circle," I recommend it highly!!
This is the very first time I've been to this site, which my husband found for me. I am looking forward to seeing the videos everyone is talking about.
kathryn v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 03:24 PM   #2574
KnittingNat
Instepping Out

Welcome ! It's a great knitting community and we LOVE supporting hubbies
KnittingNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 03:31 PM   #2575
kathryn v
Casting On

Please tell me...what is "stranding?"
Old 07-04-2007, 03:37 PM   #2576
KT120
Ribbing the Cuff

Lori, you may want to post your question with the exact wording of the pattern in the "How To" forum.

Welcome!

On Deck: Beer Cozy, Ugg baby booties, Transformer wash cloth

FO: Obligatory first scarf, socks, knitted hat,Felted clutch from One Skein, Lily Bag,Irish hiking scarf, Felted Bowl from One Skein
KT120 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KT120 For This Useful Post:
Jeremy (07-04-2007)
Old 07-04-2007, 03:44 PM   #2577
KnittingNat
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by kathryn v View Post
Please tell me...what is "stranding?"
Stranding is the more correct word for Fair Isle technique, because you can knit other patterns and not particularly Fair Isle with this. It's basically using 2 or more colours and making patterns with them (knit a few stitches with colour #1, while stranding the other colours behind your work and then changing colours). Amy has great videos for that technique.
KnittingNat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KnittingNat For This Useful Post:
Jeremy (07-04-2007)
Old 07-04-2007, 03:56 PM   #2578
kathryn v
Casting On

Originally Posted by KnittingNat View Post
Stranding is the more correct word for Fair Isle technique, because you can knit other patterns and not particularly Fair Isle with this. It's basically using 2 or more colours and making patterns with them (knit a few stitches with colour #1, while stranding the other colours behind your work and then changing colours). Amy has great videos for that technique.
Thank you for your response. I can see that I have a lot of things to learn. :-)
Old 07-04-2007, 04:13 PM   #2579
Jeremy
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by dianebernhar View Post
My name is Diane Bernhardt and I live in Cocoa Fl. I have knitted some over the years but just recently took it up very seriously and I am knitting a vest for my husband which includes a cable pattern. You knit so many and then the cable pattern starts, what my pattern says is for shaping the armholes, it is Cable row 5 (RS) k 2 k2 tog, pt to last 4 st, ssk k 2, so my question is, is this actually on the cable pattern?
Hi Diane. Welcome to the Forum. I'm going to copy your post to the Pattern forum. I'm sure someone will follow up with your question there. I'll title it 'Help with Cable Pattern".
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 04:21 PM   #2580
Jeremy
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by Lauri View Post
I am a new knitter who is completing a felted bag with ICord Bind Off - Don't know what to do with the last five stitches - Any help in easy explanation?
Welcome to the Forum Laurie. I copied your question to the How to questions forum under the title "I cord question." Have a look there for some answers.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote