Old 07-21-2007, 06:27 AM   #2741
LesHug
Casting On

Brand new to all types of needles!
Well a couple of months ago I decided to try to knit. Since I dont really have a lot of family to teach me, I looked to the next best thing. The internet. I found this site and let Amy teach me. I have been watching vidieos and messing up projects for a little while now. Thought I'd join the fourm and see what im doing wrong and how I can fix it.
LesHug is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-21-2007, 12:14 PM   #2742
mowygirl
Casting On

New to knitting- sort of
Hi! My name is Maureen. I have been loom knitting for close to 3 years. I started off making hats and progressed to making other things such as slippers, prayer shawls and afghans. I learned as much as I could in terms of different stitch patterns. My sister and a co-worker who needle knit never understood why I wouldn't try to knit "the normal way" on needles. I have finally found the self confidence to needle knit and feel comfortable now doing so. I heard about this website from a podcast. I really enjoy the videos. I hope to continue learning as much as I can. Thanks.
mowygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 01:52 PM   #2743
kelliedn
Casting On

Howdy!
Hi My name is kellie
I am fairly new to knitting but an old hat at crochet. I hope I can both get and give some great help here!
kelliedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 03:09 PM   #2744
Stormimay
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to Stormimay Send a message via MSN to Stormimay Send a message via Yahoo to Stormimay
Hi all!
I am a stay-at-home-homeschooling mom of six kids and one cat. Obviously I don't have a lot of time to knit, but I've always wanted to and now that my oldest daughter wants to learn I'm finally giving it a go. Thanks to the videos here I can finally cast on and "knit"....I'm still very much practicing the "purling" and binding off. As soon as I figure those out I will be trying to teach my daughter, with help from this site.
Nice to meet y'all!

Stormimay
Stormimay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 10:28 PM   #2745
Jeremy
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by niaoulibloodelf View Post
Thanks for the response. Tha actual bead is made of yarn. The design is called string of purls and involves i-cord and right/left increase. You wear it as a necklace or make one large bead, i-cord, than another large bead like a lariat. Does that make sense? Thanks!
Hi. You're very welcome. I copied our posts and put them in the How to section under the title "Beading question". I am sure that someone has experience with this type of necklace.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeremy For This Useful Post:
niaoulibloodelf (07-24-2007)
Old 07-21-2007, 10:36 PM   #2746
Jeremy
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by deirdre718 View Post
Hello. I am new to knitting. I make silver jewlery as a hobby, and do stone setting, hollow forms, some small scale forging. my husband is a musician, so i took up knitting as an activity for when he practices. It is a little disruptive for me to be hammering on my anvils while he is playing his quieter instruments....so, by knitting i can keep him company and still be doing something constructive while he plays or sings.

i started about a year and a half ago, and have made a number of scarves, 5 sweaters so far, with another 2 in the works. I also started crocheting (I get a little carried away sometimes). After a brief tutorial from my friend susan, i have been teaching myself. now i've reached the limits of my knowledge, and would welcome some help.

If anyone can explain the following, i've be very grateful. I have gone looking through my reference books, and i am still mystified. I am working on a pattern by Filati. I've reached the top of the sweater, and the instructions read as follows:

"dec for short shaping on every alt row and each end 2 sts once, 1 st once, 2 sts once and 1 st twice, working visible inc."

"visible inc: right edge: edge st, K1, K tog 3 resp. 2. Left edge: 1 double resp. 1 simple slip dec (= slip 1 knitwise, K2 tog resp. K1, psso), K1, edge st."

Thank you, and I hope someone out there can put me out of my misery!!!! I just hate being frustrated. Deirdre
Deirdre. Welcome to the Forum I copied your post to the pattern help section under the title "Deirdre needs some pattern help" Good luck Check there soon. I bet somebody has answered by the time you get there.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:10 AM   #2747
Jeremy
Mod Squad

Welcome to all of our new members
Old 07-22-2007, 03:03 AM   #2748
Soulofarose
Casting On

Ms. Sharon Hallman
Hello everyone! I live in The Colony,Texas, the city by the lake. I moved her a year ago. I am 63 and a retired R.N. of 35 years. Taught myself to knit so I still run into problems. The pattern that is shown on this site called Big Net -oversize-scarf-stole with size 19 needles. I love it, but I only have sz. 17 needles at the present so I added 6 stitches and it still looks very narrow. The pattern doesn't say the width. I am using Rowan Glimmer - black and gold. it's a kind of ribbon yarn. Can someone lead me down the right path. Hope to get know a lot of you. Have a great week-end. It's hot and humid where I live.
Soulofarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 12:33 PM   #2749
georgioarmani
Casting On

Hello all! i'm brand new to the forum. My name is georgie. I have been knitting for a little while, but really haven't been able to finish anything haha, i have been trying to teach myself everything so yeah, its been kinda hard. anyways i look forward to talking to new people that share my passion for knitting. being 23 y/o man where i live means you don't know very many knitters haha. any other closet knitters out there? haha
georgioarmani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 01:27 PM   #2750
nanahow
Casting On

Hi I am New
Hi I am new i do loom knitting , since december and also some needle knitting, I am retiired and i
Sue
nanahow is offline   Reply With Quote