Old 07-22-2007, 01:41 PM   #2751
thaisa47
Casting On

Hello!

I am new to the forum - I am a SAHM to my 1 year old DS. We currently live in Oregon, but are getting ready to move to Paris, France. We are spending the summer in Washington DC (for DH's work, and getting our visas).

I recently started knitting this past winter - my grandmother heard I wanted to learn and me some skeins, a bunch of her old needles, and a photocopy of the book she learned to knit by as a young girl. I believe it was from a series, and is called "K is for Knitting".

I recently taught myself how to do cables, and have been slowly making the switch from knitting English to Continental.
thaisa47 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-22-2007, 03:16 PM   #2752
1knitscarf
Casting On

Hi from California! I'm Monica Silva
Hi, I'm Monica Silva. I enjoy knitting long thin scarves for hours in front of the TV. I knit most of the scarves with US size 11 needles and simple patterns like garter stitch, stockinette, drop stitch and knitting on the bias. It's fun as long as I don't need to concentrate and track rows.

I get my scarf ideas from my 2 hobbies:
  1. songs sung by Sinatra, Minnelli, Judy Garland
  2. soccer matches of Chelsea, USA, Argentina, Portugal
  3. ATP tennis matches and players

I look forward to sharing knitting tips and projects with you.
1knitscarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 04:02 PM   #2753
Jeremy
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by Soulofarose View Post
Hello everyone! I live in The Colony,Texas, the city by the lake. I moved her a year ago. I am 63 and a retired R.N. of 35 years. Taught myself to knit so I still run into problems. The pattern that is shown on this site called Big Net -oversize-scarf-stole with size 19 needles. I love it, but I only have sz. 17 needles at the present so I added 6 stitches and it still looks very narrow. The pattern doesn't say the width. I am using Rowan Glimmer - black and gold. it's a kind of ribbon yarn. Can someone lead me down the right path. Hope to get know a lot of you. Have a great week-end. It's hot and humid where I live.
Hi. Welcome to the Forum I copied your post to the Pattern Central forum under the title "Sharon Needs scarf help." The best to luck with your project.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 04:03 PM   #2754
Jeremy
Mod Squad

Welcome to all the Newcomers.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 04:40 PM   #2755
cassiepaige
Casting On

Send a message via MSN to cassiepaige
Hello!

My name is Cassie, I am a 17 year old girl. I have been wanting to learn how to knit for a year or so. I almost took classes over the winter, but they were super expensive and 20 minutes from my house.

On Thursday I found out a coworker of mine knits (I work at a daycare) and I told her I was interested in learning. So I picked up my supplies, and today I taught myself how to cast on but I am having some trouble after that. I don't know how much help I can get from my coworker (she learned from a lefty, and then kind of combined a few different styles to get her own style) but hopefully I can learn something!

This website has been the most helpful by far!
cassiepaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 04:49 PM   #2756
Rosemary
1st Leg of the Journey

Hello. My name is Rosemary. Just joined this board today after stumbling on it by accident. Can't wait to get into the knitty gritty of it. (Pun intended.)

I am a soon-to-be 68-year-old grandmother. I retired from an accounting position in Maryland and moved in with my daughter in San Antonio. The idea was to take care of my 9-year-old granddaughter. However, more of my time and energy seems to be spent on the 2-year-old yellow Lab. She is a handfull.

Anyway, about knitting. I taught myself years and years ago and was terrible at it. I recently saw Alan Dart's gnomes and just had to start up again. Made one and he turned out OK. I'm so proud.

I even bought a knitting machine to handle the grunt work. It doesn't do as much as I thought it would, but it will help. The hands are getting old and cramp up on me from time to time.

It's good to be here.
Rosemary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 05:13 PM   #2757
photojenic
Casting On

Newbie Intro
(This may be the second time I've intro'd myself. I can't remember if I've posted before. lol...)

My name is Jen, and I live in the DFW area. I've been a crocheter for a very long time, but I've always loved the look of knitting. I've tried learning it a couple of times, but it never "took."

About two years ago I discovered the Yarn Harlot and fell in love. The more I read her books and blog, the more I wanted to knit. I'm especially in love with the idea of hand knitted socks. They sound like heaven!

I just recently finished my first "officially" knitted item. A decidedly wonky looking dishcloth. It was done mostly in garter stitch (as I was learning how to do the knit stitch), has a few rows of actual stockinette stitch after I learned how to purl, and back to garter stitch cuz it was easier.

I'm definitely a Continental knitter because I'm so used to holding the yarn in my left hand while crocheting. So far I've only used straight needles, but I'm interested in trying out circulars. I figured I'd practice making a few more dishcloths before attempting socks. Those dpns scare me. lol....

Nice to meet everyone!
Old 07-22-2007, 05:22 PM   #2758
Sri Radha
Casting On

New to knitting.
Hello! I am living in New Jersey but as of August 19th I will be living in Belmont, Vermont! I do not knit. I WANT TO LEARN! I am hoping I can find someone to teach me. I am here to network.

Besides wanting to learn to knit, I am a dental hygienist, married, and I have 2 dogs.
Sri Radha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 05:32 PM   #2759
AKNIT
Casting On

Hi Amy,

I just registered and can't figure out how to get on the introduce yourself thread and say HI!! YOur site looks great and as a new knitter it could really help if I knew how to use the site. I am on dial-up so things go slow. Can you direct me? Thank you!!
AKNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 06:16 PM   #2760
losnana
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by cassiepaige View Post
Hello!

My name is Cassie, I am a 17 year old girl. I have been wanting to learn how to knit for a year or so. I almost took classes over the winter, but they were super expensive and 20 minutes from my house.

On Thursday I found out a coworker of mine knits (I work at a daycare) and I told her I was interested in learning. So I picked up my supplies, and today I taught myself how to cast on but I am having some trouble after that. I don't know how much help I can get from my coworker (she learned from a lefty, and then kind of combined a few different styles to get her own style) but hopefully I can learn something!

This website has been the most helpful by far!
Have you checked ot the videos on this site? They're great.