Old 09-27-2007, 02:35 PM   #3261
JingleBell
Casting On

Hello from Florida!
Hello! I've just discovered this site and thank goodness! The videos are going to help tremendously, and I'm so excited to have found such an active online community of knitters! My 16 year old daughter and I have just begun trying to knit using "teach yourself" books, and we're already addicted! She's doing better than I am with it so far, but I think she'll be just as excited about the videos on this site as I am when she gets home from school and I show them to her. We're both absolute beginners, but I hope that will change quickly. I'm so looking forward to getting to know people here, and thank you so much!

Juliane
JingleBell is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-27-2007, 02:38 PM   #3262
imotep
Casting On

Brand new
Hi, I'm from Northwest Indiana and I've been knitting for about 2 weeks. I used some videos i found on youtube to show me how to start. Right now I know how to cast on, knit, and purl, I'm going to try and learn how to bind off today at some point. I'm making a mat for my cat to lay on while I practice technique. Anyone here from around my way?
imotep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:23 PM   #3263
stitchkid
Casting On

17 times, at least, I have started to learn to knit
I really love this site. I watched the videos several times a couple of years back. Then I got tendonitis and it took two years to heal. Over the years one thing or another side-tracked my getting beyond knit and purl.
But, I'm like Arkady Renko in my favorite Martin Cruz Smith novels. I don't know when I'm beat, so I keep coming back.
I have been a sewer, garment maker for decades. I'm learning to quilt for the first time too. I'm only working about half time now, so even with a new, first grandson, I have time to get up to speed on working with my hands, which is my hearts ease.
I look forward to getting beyond the starting line.

Carla
stitchkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:00 PM   #3264
kc1005
Casting On

just jumping in...
Hi-I'm actually just jumping in & have posted a question re. a sweater jacket I am making. Looks like another had a similar question & I am sure hoping someone can help me!

I'm Chris, sahm to 2(ds 11, dd8), married to dh for 16 yrs. My neighbor taught me to knit ~3 yrs ago--she learned while in elementary school--they were knitting socks for the soldiers at war! Needless to say, she is great w/ basics, but anything "newer" & I lose her for help.

I'll check in tomorrow--time for the kids to get to bed.
kc1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:55 PM   #3265
pauly81
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to pauly81
I didn't know where to ask this
I am not new to this site, but I didn't know where to ask this question about the forum. Why do the people on this site have a statis like junior member, member, senior member? Does it change , and when? do you have a list of what the different statis's meen??
Old 09-27-2007, 09:52 PM   #3266
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Originally Posted by pauly81 View Post
I am not new to this site, but I didn't know where to ask this question about the forum. Why do the people on this site have a statis like junior member, member, senior member? Does it change , and when? do you have a list of what the different statis's meen??
It has to do with the number of posts you have. We're trying to change it up to something more fun.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:54 PM   #3267
pauly81
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to pauly81
I just became a senior member and I am really exicited. I don't know if it means much, but it does to me.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:24 AM   #3268
wandersfar
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to wandersfar
Hello!

I've been a fan of this site for a while now (at least a year or two) but I've never joined the forum until tonight. Not sure why... I guess I've come to think of this site as a general video-tutorial resource and forgot that there even was a forum attached to it.

But now I have a question that google hasn't helped me with, so I turn to this community of knowledgeable knitters.

Anyway, about my (knitting) self: I've been knitting for over four years. I was initially taught how to knit English at my college's club, but then went on to learn how to purl from books and then dove into aran knitting, slip-stich patterns, and eventually lace, fair-isle & intarsia using online tutorials (like the ones on this site).

I learned how to knit Continental from this site when I wanted to try two-handed fair-isle, and now it's my go-to method for most (uncomplicated) knitting. (I knit English for a long time after I'd learned both methods, but recently switched to primarily Continental when my hands started to bother me. I'm only 22 -- carpal tunnel shouldn't be setting in yet!)

I'm remarkably non-prolific, I frog probably about half of anything I make just because... well, knitting for me is more about "can I do it?" then "look what I made!" if you know what I mean. Like, the final product usually isn't as fulfilling as the whole process that went into it. And inevitably, I look at something I made and see all the imperfections or just things that can be improved upon, and I end up making the same item over and over again until it's just so. I guess I'm a bit OCD, heh.

I also get obsessed by certain stitch patterns. The first cable pattern I ever learned was the Saxon Braid; I saw a picture of it in a book and committed myself to learning aran knitting just so I could replicate that swatch. And then of course I had to incorporate that pattern into practically everything I made... for the next two years. Friends and family started to comment, "oh, you're doing that pattern again".

And then I became obsessed with argyle, and learned intarsia just to reproduce that pattern. (I find intarsia too fiddly to work, though, so I never became argyle-obsessed the way I was with the Saxon Braid. I hate any technique where you have to cut the yarn a lot, probably because I hate weaving-in ends and doing other finishing work. Oh, and also because you're "committed" once you've cut the yarn. It's not like Fair Isle, where you can just frog back and rewind to two or more whole, beautiful balls of color. No, you frog and you're stuck with short little worthless strands that are useless for anything except MORE intarsia. It's a vicious cycle!)

And... that's me. Or at least the knitting part of me, which is a huge part of how I identify myself. I am woman. See me knit.
wandersfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:19 AM   #3269
mrslindso
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to mrslindso Send a message via Yahoo to mrslindso
New Knitter in Las Vegas
Hey everyone, I haven't looked online since I started knitting and tonight I finally decided to only because I messed up on binding off. I binded off one to many times and now I am only ONE stitch short of what I need to be...how aggravating! It's better than having a whole row messed up I suppose.

Anyway, I'm 23 years old and I live in Las Vegas, NV. I oringially am from Milwaukee, Wisconsin but moved to Vegas because I was stationed at Nellis Air Force Base. I am now out of the military since April 2007 and couldn't have made a better decision. I have since become happier and realize that life does bring great things! I have been blinded by the military to that. Most people say that about their sins and whatnot and that religion brings light to their life. Nope, not me, just getting out of the military helped me lol.

I am married now for a year and a half and absolutely love being married. I love having to come home to someone and know that every night I am getting held by my strong husband and am completely and utterly safe.

I have two cats, named Gracie (5 years old) and Dog (1 year old), they're my children. I talk about them like they're my kids and unlike people who own dogs, I don't dress them up. They're cats in the first place, they hate everything, I might as well stop while I'm ahead!!

I think that's about it!! I hope to get to know a lot of you and learn A LOT!! Message me ANYTIME!!

Lindsay
There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference.
~Elizabeth Zimmerman
mrslindso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:21 AM   #3270
mrslindso
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to mrslindso Send a message via Yahoo to mrslindso
Your post made me laugh. I like the I am Woman. See me knit! How clever!
There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference.
~Elizabeth Zimmerman
mrslindso is offline   Reply With Quote