Old 08-02-2005, 12:02 PM   #411
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,827 Posts
Hello and Hola fellow 'I's. I'm sorry, that's the extent of my Spanish.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-02-2005, 12:24 PM   #412
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

Hello and WELCOME, all!! How wonderfully nice to meet new people, especially new people! Looking forward to getting to know everyone :D

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 01:44 PM   #413
kome
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to kome Send a message via Yahoo to kome
Re: THIS IS PARADAISE IN 100% WOOL!!!
Originally Posted by Isamar
Amy:

Thank you so much for creating this site! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I began knitting in my last birthday (Nov,19) with the help of my mom in-law. Unfortunatelly I cant visit her often so I've been learning from books, which is not easy here in Mexico since our editorial houses are really small and not interested in variated topics.

I wasnt surprised at all when I discoverd that only ONE book about knitting is written in Spanish (argentinian from the 80s). And I didnt hope to find it in bookstores. In fact, when I ask for it in the biggest bokkstore in the city, they couldnt find it in the inventory. I hace to give them the ISBN number, and even with that they werent able to get it for me.

So, I was obligated to import books buying them on line. Barely for laernign basic skills. My husband go to an Autoshow in Chicago and bought me the Knitter hand book, which was usefull and, at the same time, confusing.

Since my birthday I manage to knitt two sweaters for my daughters-dogs, add a collar to a poncho that my in-law knitt for me, and knitt and tree times the same sweater for my husband which enda as a scarf...javascript:emoticon('') I may say proudly, that all these knits were created without using a pattern... some how I manage to create them.

I recently bought a pattern book and I've been trying to understand the terms by comparing instruction books and reference sites on the Net but Im far from succes. So, I googled for help on two color knitting and find you.

I love your videos!!! I honestly think is the best way to learn! And I find the users so adorable!!! I just read the forum about Harry Potter (which Im a huge fan) and breath away: finally!! knitters who love to talk about knitters, and Potter, and almost everything I desperatly need to talk about! (Hope I can find some Star Wars fans too...)

So, thank you.. And hello to everybody!!!!javascript:emoticon('') Hope you all can forgive my rusty English... its been so long since I used it...

Thank you again, adn see you in the next row.
Isamar
If you would still like a book, I would recommend "Stitch N' Bitch: A Knitter's Handbook" It's got step by step learning and is sooo humorous.

It's also got 50 patterns and pictures in it. I'm so glad that I bought it.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:31 PM   #414
Ronda
Instepping Out

Send a message via MSN to Ronda Send a message via Yahoo to Ronda
Hi! I'm Ronda. My neighbor knitted my daughter a scarf over the winter using some of that funky yarn. (You'll have to forgive my lack of terminology, I know nothing about knitting!) Needless to say, both my daughter and I fell in love! Now we both want to knit. (She is 7 though so I'm not quite sure I'll be able to teach her yet.) I went to Michael's and bought a little "learn to knit" kit for $15 and so far I have learned how to cast on and do the knit stitch. I've been practicing making little squares just to get my tension right. I've never knitted before! I cross stitch, and on some of the more complicated stitches in cross stitch, I have been able to find "animated stitches" on the Internet, so I figured there had to be something similar for knitting. A Google search brought me here! It's been fun looking around the site. The little movies/demonstrations have been a BIG help! Thank you!!! I'm so anxious to start making something other than little squares though! As soon as I learn to (what is it called? - bind off?) then I will move on to the next step. Just wanted to say hi! :D
Ronda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 02:35 PM   #415
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,827 Posts
Welcome Ronda! There's a lot to learn and a lot of fun here. Dive right in. :D

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 03:13 PM   #416
kimmie
Turning the Heel

Hola Isamar!
Welcome! A long time ago, when I was about 12 years old, I had to choose whether to learn French or Spanish. Neither language was spoken where I lived, but my older sister had lived in France for awhile, so I chose French. Little did I know that there would be a LOT of Spanish speaking people in the U.S. I took 10 years of French and spoke it fairly well, but then completely lost my ability because no one around me speaks it. If only I had learned Spanish!! It is everywhere. So many jobs want bilingual Spanish speakers. It is a huge advantage. My son had to make the same French/Spanish choice and I quickly told him that Spanish he can use all the time, so he's taking that. You are so lucky that you can use two languages so well.
kimmie
kimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 03:38 AM   #417
Isamar
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via MSN to Isamar Send a message via Yahoo to Isamar
Kome:

Thanx for the recomendation. I have that on my Wish list in amazon. I've already bought: Knitter handbook (complicated, old fashined, but good reference), Knitting and crocheting for idiots (where I learned how to do cables), Viva Poncho, Dogs in knits and The Knitted rug. I wasn't sure about Stitch N' Bitch cuase it would probably result too local, but I will buy it any way eventually since is the most recomended.
I think my next buy will be some books of crochet. I hace this options: Hip to crochet, Crocheting School: a complete course, and 200 Crochet Blocks for Blankets, Throws, and Afghans : Crochet Squares to Mix and Match. Any recomendaction???

Kimmie

I think nobody woudl think that US would be so poblated with hispanic people!!! Certainly not one of our best options as mexicans... unl ess you can go to the US like my brother, who was needed and searched by a big company. Any way, life is like this and know we all haver to be bilingual in some level. Do you know that Univision was the most seen network last month? Blame all those mexican telenovelas. To be honest, I don't watch them (probably one of the most imported producto of my country and I dont use it :thinking: ).

I'm de-rusting mu french in a free tutorial online. So I looked for an English-Spanish free tutorial so you can learn the basics, and I was surprised by how many there are!!!! I search 5 of them and I think this is a good option

http://www.spanishunlimited.com/lessons/

So.. if your son is doing it, you will have someone to practice!!! I will keep my eyes open to find some other options so you could learn... I love to think that will be my contribution to this already complete site.

HI RHONDA!!! If yo were struggling to learn how to's in knitting (as I was) this will be the perfecto place to learn!!! Have you see al the videos???.

M
Isamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 07:28 AM   #418
Ronda
Instepping Out

Send a message via MSN to Ronda Send a message via Yahoo to Ronda
Isamar - I love the videos on this site! I prefer the cast on method that I learned here over the one I learned in my book. It really has made a difference! Last night I watched the video for binding off, and that went very well, too! Tonight I will try the purl stitch!

I just love this site!
Ronda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 07:54 AM   #419
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 04:01 PM   #420
SassyLassie
Casting On

Thank You!
I am a new knitter, and I wanted to thank everyone who has contributed to this fantastic website. I do not know why I decided to learn how to knit--it just came over me. Now I am driven and determined to master this art (or at least create something that others can recognize).

My Nana knew how to knit. I remember watching her and thinking I wanted nothing do to with knitting/sewing/or any other domesticated art. I was so naive (and dumb). I guess I had thought knitting (like other domesticated arts) were examples of women having to do for others, I never contemplated it was women doing for themselves. I don't know if that makes any sense, but I know I am learning for me. How relaxing the knit stich is; a few minutes equivalent to 1 hour of pilates (the purl stich is not so relaxing yet--still is giving me a hard time.)

Now, I would give anything to sit with my Nana and see her fingers flying and learn this beautiful art from her. Alas, I am on my own (my mom was a working 70's mom who also shied away from "domestication") so it was so nice to find this great knitting community.

I have only been at it a few days but I am so passionate about learning--I have been craving any spare time so I can practice my stiches.

Amy, I want to thank you for all the wonderful information you have compiled here. Your videos have been a Godsend. I feel as if I have met a good friend. My kids feel as if they know you as well, as they keep seeing and hearing you go through the knitting moves. Thank you.
SassyLassie is offline   Reply With Quote