Old 05-10-2008, 01:37 PM   #4531
diehlsb
Casting On

Hi,
I thought I already sent in a new member post, but I can't find myself (my member name is diehlsb)! Anyway, I am retired, lucky enough to live full time in my motorhome (with my husband!) and travel all summer.
I learned to knit as a small child; every Fall I need the feel of yarn and needles in my hand. I've always enjoyed learning new techniques and patterns, and this web site is wonderful! As we travel, I knit -- it's easier than just sitting there if we are traveling along freeways. Of course, if there is great scenery, that gets my attention.
The videos have been a tremendous help. As a left-handed person, I've taught myself the continental method by switching hands: yarn held in the right hand, working needle on the left. I'm not sure if I'm doing it right, but the result is really good, and it's faster.
Thanks again for the great site.
diehlsb is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-10-2008, 11:51 PM   #4532
Jeremy
Mod Squad

Welcome to the forum everyone.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:28 PM   #4533
cheekyprincess
Ribbing the Cuff

Just wanted to say a quick hello. I just joined the group today. Lots of useful info here! Look forwarding to chatting with you!

http://angiescrazyworld.blogspot.com/

also cheekyprincess on ravelry

my etsy store:

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5985433
cheekyprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 02:06 PM   #4534
Teapot
Casting On

Hi! I'm Teapot and i'm some what new to the secret underground knitting network! I'm a college student working on a tea cozy and a history major.
Teapot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:44 PM   #4535
cheekyprincess
Ribbing the Cuff

I too am a lefty, but do not like the continental. Glad you are enjoying knitting. I have wanted to learn for YEARS and finally had a friend teach me. She showed me both ways, and the continental just didnt feel right. I am addicted now too! LOL

my etsy store:

Old 05-11-2008, 06:22 PM   #4536
cheekyprincess
Ribbing the Cuff

Hi diehlsb! That is my dream to motor around with my dh seeing the USA. That is a while away for us! I am new here too. Happy knitting!

my etsy store:

Old 05-12-2008, 07:44 AM   #4537
slipped2
Casting On

I have been knitting for many years (since I was 5), but never tried short rows. Hope to learn that soon. I am a big fan of Barbara Walker and am just now learning to crochet, more than just to finish the edging of my knitting. It uses yarn at a frenetic pace. Much prefer knitting! I recently made a scarf in the double basket pattern and everyone loved it so much I'm stuck with simple knit and purl for a while until I knit all my friends and relatives the SAME scarf. Whew. I'm also working on that afghan in the Coats and Clarks ad in three shades of Thyme and spending a small fortune adding to my library on Amazon. They have real bargans on the Vogue Stitchionarys for instance. And with the help of the reviews I just want EVERYTHING. lOVE THIS SITE.
slipped2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:23 PM   #4538
fayray
Casting On

Hello Everyone:
My name is Faylene and I live in the Northwest part of Washington state, in the U.S. I am a beginner knitter, although I am an experienced crocheter, I chose to learn to knit, because the sweater patterns for knits are to die for. Where as most of the crochet patterns for clothes fit like a suit of armour. I like to crochet miniature thread teds and other agrimuini type animals. I just discovered Allen Dart patterns and love his creations. We really don't have his patterns available to us in the U.S., we just have gasp, Annie Potter and some other similar cheesy type patterns. Although I do belong to threadanimals at yahoo, and have many beautiful patterns I have purcahsed through artists individually. Anyways I have some beautiful patterns I would trade for some Allen Dart Patterns, if anyone is interested, I have array of Paradise barbie patterns, and Annie Potter patterns and series I would be trade for some Allan Dart Patterns, I also have some beautiful knitted clothing patterns, from Katia, Online, etc...Thanks for reading, but I really want all of Allan Dart Patterns, especially the Beatrix Potter ones, Pleasssse.
Best Regards,
Faylene
fayray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 02:25 PM   #4539
Marshame
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to Marshame
I am old, but I am new
Hello folks! In reading some of these posts I feel humbled by the skill and knowledge that many of you possess, not to mention experience in knitting! Let's just say that I have knit enough that I can look down my nose at Red Heart, but that's about it! I am just now tackling my first pair of socks on two circulars. I am a leftie, and have just, within the last few months, forced myself to knit the knit stitch properly, instead of knitting through the back loop like I have been doing for years.

Actually I just took up knitting again about 18 months ago, following a sabbatical that extends back to college days. I had forgotten how much fun it is and how relaxing. And of course the yarn these days is so lucious that it is impossible not to buy the yarn if not to dream about various projects.

But I am a timid knitter, fearful of rejection of my laborious gifts, especially from my grown daughter who has high standards and expectations. Fortunately my 2-year old granddaughter is not so picky and has therefore been the recipient of my first two sweater efforts.

I hope to be encouraged and challenged here, and also to learn.
Marshame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:08 PM   #4540
pastrymama
Casting On

Having a great time
Hi, my name is Marilyn, I haven't been able to knit or crochet for almost 30 years because of carpal tunnel syndrome, but I have had surgery on both hands and it has worked really well for me. I am now able to knit and crochet again.

I am a pastry chef in my real life and have 5 children and 9 grandchildren, hence my nickname 'pastrymama'

I am so happy to have found this site and look forward to making friends and enjoying your creations with you.
pastrymama is offline   Reply With Quote