Old 09-25-2008, 12:00 AM   #4991
DeeMac
Casting On

Introduction
Hi everyone my name is Dee and I love YARN, YARN, YARN and KNITTING. I'm very new to the forum and how to use it. It's taken me a very long time to figure out how to get this window I'm typing in now. LOL I'm new to blogging too. Have patience please. Actually, if I get this posted tonight I'll feel like I've made a giant step to learning!!!

I am really having some troubles with "YF," "YO" and "YRN" Are they all the same thing .... resulting in an increase???? Once I bring my yarn forward and then attempt the next stitch (in this case a knit stitch) I am having a lot of difficulty. I looked for a long time through the technique videos and didn't find anything to help.[;p

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited by DeeMac : 09-25-2008 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Adding to my quesiton for help.
DeeMac is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-25-2008, 10:13 AM   #4992
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by DeeMac View Post
Hi everyone my name is Dee and I love YARN, YARN, YARN and KNITTING. I'm very new to the forum and how to use it. It's taken me a very long time to figure out how to get this window I'm typing in now. LOL I'm new to blogging too. Have patience please. Actually, if I get this posted tonight I'll feel like I've made a giant step to learning!!!

I am really having some troubles with "YF," "YO" and "YRN" Are they all the same thing .... resulting in an increase???? Once I bring my yarn forward and then attempt the next stitch (in this case a knit stitch) I am having a lot of difficulty. I looked for a long time through the technique videos and didn't find anything to help.[;p

Thanks in advance!!!
WELCOME DEE!

YF,YO, YRN are all the same thing. Just different terminology.

Whether executing a YF, YO, YRN there is one thing to remember: First, visualize two existing stitches...and you're supposed to make a YO inbetween them:
a) If you knit a stitch, YO, then knit the next stitch...for the YO just flop the yarn to the front of the work and knit that 2nd stitch.
b) If you knit a stitch, YO, then purl the next stitch...you kinda have to wrap the yarn round the needle to get the extra stitch out of the YO/YRN maneuver. That is when the term YARN ROUND NEEDLE (YRN) comes into more specific play!

Don't be afraid to tinker with this! It is easy. Just keep an eye on what you accomplished. If there is an extra "leg" or stitch inbetween two existing stitches, you done it right!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:19 PM   #4993
choben
Casting On

Hello hello
Hello hello! I am so glad to join you all in this universe of knitting! I have been knitting avidly for 5 years, because all my grown-up children and younger relatives have decided to have babies. I feel that a new little one needs a hand-knit baby blanket stitched with love and sent with warmest wishes. So we have 7 grandchildren under 4 years, and 8 other little ones. Whew!
Now I would like to knit for adults. And in my eager first attempt to make a sleeveless top, I finished the neckline and did a 3 needle bind off for the shoulder seams and sewed up the side seams. Then I realized the neckline would not go over the head of an adult, or even a baby. The neckline circomference is only 13 inches. Help! TIA
Cathy
choben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:54 PM   #4994
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,907 Posts
Welcome choben!
You have lots of kids to knit for!

I'm not sure what advice to give you on the small neckline. You might want to post your question in the "How To" section of the forum.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:10 PM   #4995
camsgramma
Casting On

Hello everyone
Hello everyone

I am Judy and I live in Ontario Canada. Cam is my grandson, only grandchild. He is challenged and he is 13 but functions at age 4. He lives with me and has numerous other problems, but he is my special boy. Used to knit years ago but haven't done any lately. I want to start knitting for the various charities and also to send overseas to needy countries. God Bless and thanks for allowing me on your forum.
camsgramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 01:20 PM   #4996
dlccivil
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to dlccivil
Introduction
Hello All,

I am new here. I have been knitting for a year now and this web site taught me how . I tell everyone who wants to learn how to knit to come here. It is better then a friend because you can run the video again and again and you aren't bothering it.

Thanks!

Dawn
dlccivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:15 PM   #4997
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
WELCOME to our knitting community, Camsgramma and dlccivil (Dawn)! We are so happy to have quality folks like you!

We are here to help you with your knitting, to support your efforts, and to pat you on the back for your accomplishments!

Knit on Good Women!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:30 PM   #4998
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,907 Posts
Welcome to the KH Forum!

Originally Posted by camsgramma View Post
.........I want to start knitting for the various charities and also to send overseas to needy countries.
Be sure to check out the "Charity Knitting" section of our forum! We have lots of choices for charity knitting.

Originally Posted by dlccivil View Post
...........It is better then a friend because you can run the video again and again and you aren't bothering it..........
That's the way I learned too. And it was nice to be able to watch my "knitting instructor" at all hours of the day and night!
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:31 AM   #4999
camsgramma
Casting On

hello everyone
Hello everyone.

My name is Judy and I am 63. i live in Oshawa, Ontario canada.

Used to do a lot of knitting but haven't done much of anything lately. Am all enthused now about crocheting and knitting things to send overseas, like stuffed toys and hats and mitts. Also to donate to charities here at home, like blankets for the homeless. Our Michaels collects squares which are sewn together to make afghans. I know this is done in the States also. I want to do some of those squares too, and then I was viewing the crocheted teddy bears and decided that would be fun, then the afghan patterns. If I start now should get everything done by the 23rd century hopefully.

Enjoy all the questions and introductions of everyone. It took me forever to figure out how to do this, so hope this is right. Oh the joys of getting old.

Hugs
camsgramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:03 AM   #5000
VatIzNitting
Casting On

Hola!

Guess i'm the newest kid in town. I'm more into crocheting than knitting. *glances about uneasily* However, i recently found several knitting patterns that i just had to try. Unfortunately, certain parts of those patterns have left me scratching my head and blinking like i just suffered a head trauma. Basically lots of "huh?" and "wait, what?!" and quite a lot "that's it! i'll just wrap the yarn around myself until it looks sweater-like. no one will notice." And that's how i found my way here.

So, you'll basically be bumping into me in the How-To threads. Be gentle.
VatIzNitting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VatIzNitting For This Useful Post:
MsBehavin (09-29-2008)