Old 10-04-2008, 09:00 PM   #5021
knithappymomma
Casting On

Hi. I just learned how to knit last year around Christmas using this website. I joined as a member today. So far, I have knitted one hat, four scarves, and a hairtie. I am working on a new set of hats for my family, and will be replacing my daughter's scarf (It was the first thing I ever did and it looks aweful!). I look forward to learning from and sharing with each of you.
knithappymomma is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-04-2008, 09:03 PM   #5022
knithappymomma
Casting On

Hello Smashlydawn. I think you chose the right site. Use the videos, they are super helpful. I have been knitting for almost a year, and learned how to here on this website. I am 26, and it is great to see someone who is younger taking an interest. The only people I know who knit are aunts and great aunts of mine. I even tried to teach a friend so that she could knit with me. Crocheting is also fun, have you tried that?

Last edited by knithappymomma : 10-04-2008 at 09:04 PM. Reason: To add personalization
knithappymomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:11 PM   #5023
Kuschelschaf
Casting On

I must agree with you. The videos are EXTREMELY helpful. My mom has been knitting since she was 18 (I am 21... so that means she has been knitting for a LONG time ) and she tried to show me, but I just wasn't getting it. I found this site by accident and I was able to teach myself that same night. My mom knits English style, I knit continental. My mom uses the single cast on, I use the long tail (so we are totally opposite of each other!) Actually, when I went to the yarn shop about a week later to buy some crochet hooks, I decided to buy some knitting needles too and a week later I made my first scarf from an Ella Rae book. When I brought it back to the shop to show the owner, she was so impressed, she didn't even believe I was a beginner.

Personally, I think if you start out using good materials, it makes learning easier and more fun (I started using addi turbo circulars and the yarn from the yarn shop).

I also enjoy crocheting, I have been crocheting for a year and it is advisable to learn both because of versatility. I found continental was easier to learn because I hold the yarn in my left hand when I crochet, so knitting English style was almost impossible.
Kuschelschaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:50 PM   #5024
teachermom
1st Leg of the Journey

Hi - new to the site
I'm a 30 something mom of 2 who likes to knit, quilt, and sew anything. I also teach full time and am currently in grad school (finish next year) I just stumbled onto this site while trying to locate some videos so I could teach about 15 middle school girls how to knit.

I've never really taught anyone how to knit before so I needed all the help I could get. This site has been a great resource.

My grandmother taught me how to knit - continential method and that's all I've done. I self taught myself crochet. I prefer to knit but do enjoy crochet from time to time.

I'm currently working on a knit lacy shrug... saw the pattern and had to knit it. I wish I had more time to knit, but I try to knit at least 2 rows a night - this is hard from me because I'd rather sit and knit for hours straight.

I'm looking forward to getting checking this site out more often.

Teachermom
teachermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:12 PM   #5025
juliehl
Casting On

Hi

I am so glad I found this site to help me with all my knitting questions. I am just starting and will be asking so many questions.

Thank You
Julie
juliehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:01 PM   #5026
karenmarie
Casting On

What a great site. I just started knitting last week and I have found this to be very very helpful and easy. I really like the videos! I am so excited to learn how to knit!! Thanks so much.
karenmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:58 PM   #5027
Natty31
Casting On

Send a message via MSN to Natty31
Hello From Ottawa, Canada
Hello, Everyone , Newbie at knitting , this is my first day and would like to say that this is a great site.
Natty31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:00 AM   #5028
JasminJaquine
Casting On

Hello! I'm new to this wonderful place as well (suppose that would by why I'm posting in this thread ).

I've been sort of lurking for a couple weeks now, but I've been loving the videos and the refresher to help me relearn to knit. I learned from my Godmom when I was 12 and now I'm 26 and picking it up again.

Not sure how much I'll really really post, but I'll likely be around quite a bit as with budgets tight for Christmas, homemade gifts will be the trend this year, especially with my eyes watching for sales on yarns!

I just started working on a scarf for my future mother-in-law for Christmas, and she even got to pick out the colors, so she seems more excited than me!
JasminJaquine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:29 PM   #5029
yarnpiggy
Ribbing the Cuff

Hi everyone!!! I'm just getting back to knitting after a hiatus that lasted about a year and a half. I started knitting 4 years ago.

I live in MN with my new husband (we were married 8/23/08) and our Boston Terrier, Lucy. I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you and chatting about knitting.
yarnpiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:50 PM   #5030
knitsky
Casting On

Hello from knitsky
Hi there...

I am knitsky and I am doing my best to introduce myself, hoping that this message gets through.

I am back to knitting after about fifteen years, and I am just loving being bac. Right now I am looking for knitting patterns for Patons Grace. So far I have some exquisite scarves, but that's about it. Any suggestions?

Glad to be aboard...
knitsky:
knitsky is offline   Reply With Quote