Old 11-03-2008, 11:34 PM   #5131
GMantownMom
Casting On

Hello All, I'm Danita, 35, married, mother of 3 girls. I am currently a SAHM and looking for a hobby to pick up. I have always liked different kinds of crafts since I was younger. I tried knitting when I was about 14. That was my only attempt. So I am a total beginner. I saw the demo for casting on and it came back to me a little bit. I wanted to try something extremely simple maybe a scarf...but I have no idea what I am looking at as far as the patterns are concerned. So any help would be great. Thanks for the "Welcome" :-)
GMantownMom is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-04-2008, 12:11 AM   #5132
IM4EVERGOOD2U
Ribbing the Cuff

Im a beginner too!!
Originally Posted by GMantownMom View Post
Hello All, I'm Danita, 35, married, mother of 3 girls. I am currently a SAHM and looking for a hobby to pick up. I have always liked different kinds of crafts since I was younger. I tried knitting when I was about 14. That was my only attempt. So I am a total beginner. I saw the demo for casting on and it came back to me a little bit. I wanted to try something extremely simple maybe a scarf...but I have no idea what I am looking at as far as the patterns are concerned. So any help would be great. Thanks for the "Welcome" :-)
The best help i can offer you is that if you are having trouble with the lingo used in the patterns, you can always refer to the glossary on this site. If there is a technique you aren't familiar with there are also some great videos that explain them very well. Don't know if i was of any help, I'm a newbie myself.

If i can help in any other way just ask....

Good Luck,
Millie
IM4EVERGOOD2U is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IM4EVERGOOD2U For This Useful Post:
GMantownMom (02-28-2009)
Old 11-04-2008, 06:26 AM   #5133
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,843 Times in 1,908 Posts
Welcome new KHers!

Danita, if you want a scarf pattern to start with, here are some options:
Scrunchable Scarf
Beginner's Scarves

Also, I have found lots of other patterns that are good for beginners. Just read about it here on my blog: Easy Knitting Patterns for Beginning Knitters
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:05 PM   #5134
elfree
Casting On

Knitting rediscovered
I'm knitting again after a long time away. Some things I need to relearn. Most things I remember. I've already done several pairs of sox which is what got me restarted. I joined this group to get an answer to an abreviation in a knitting pattern. w&t

I think it means wrap and turn but I'm not sure. It happens mid row. If it is wrap and turn, how do I do it?
elfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:40 PM   #5135
IM4EVERGOOD2U
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by elfree View Post
I'm knitting again after a long time away. Some things I need to relearn. Most things I remember. I've already done several pairs of sox which is what got me restarted. I joined this group to get an answer to an abreviation in a knitting pattern. w&t

I think it means wrap and turn but I'm not sure. It happens mid row. If it is wrap and turn, how do I do it?
Hi,

It does stand for wrap and turn and this is how you would do it in the middle of a row:

W&T = Wrap and turn; knit to the point where the pattern says to turn. Bring your yarn to the front of the work, slip the next stitch from the left hand needle, take your yarn to the back of the work, Slip the stitch back to the left hand needle. Turn your work and place the yarn at the back of your work before knitting to the beginning of the row.

I hope this answered your question. Good luck and enjoy!

Millie
IM4EVERGOOD2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:51 PM   #5136
newknitter23
Ribbing the Cuff

I am so glad to find this site. I'v been knitting for about a year and a half, so this site will be great help. My sister and I tought ourselves from a book a couple summers ago, and fell in love with knitting. We have no one to go to with questions here, so this site will be a big help. I have only knitted hats and scarfs so far, so intimidated by the sweater projects. I have two little girls, my oldest is almost two and my youngest is five weeks...Im a very busy mom. I wish I had more time to knit for my girls, but that will happen someday. I have other neglected hobbies as well, I love photography and my kids are my photo victims. I really enjoy Macro photography too. Im a student, working on my associates degree STILL! Not so easy with two small children. Okay thats a better introduction.. thanks for reading.

Last edited by newknitter23 : 11-06-2008 at 04:08 PM. Reason: lousy intruduction..needed editing=)
newknitter23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:40 AM   #5137
Knittenhappy
Casting On

Newbee to group
Hello... what a wonderful site! My name is Priscilla. I am 45 yrs old and have been knitting on and off since 5th grade with some of my friends during school recess... I think I am the only remaining knitter of the group. Hoping to continue knitting for years to come. Thanks for having me in your group.
Knittenhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:28 AM   #5138
MrsP
1st Leg of the Journey

Shawl
Hi! Thanks for the directions on how to post the pictures! Here is a picture of my daughter modeling the shawl I made! If you look, you can see the line where I changed yarn. My mom said that I shouldn't worry about it and just act like I did it two tone on purpose and most people won't notice anyway. But, I notice!!!!

I do like the shawl though and it is so nice and warm! It is the first project I have ever made for myself. Everything else I do ends up being a gift!

Thanks! Amanda
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1517_2.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	50755  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1524_2.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	50756  
MrsP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:04 AM   #5139
klymyshyn
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks for the warm introduction!
I'm new to this site but NOT to knitting! I am a freelance knit designer currently working on my 12th project for the same vendor. (maybe they like my work)
I have a question: I am working on my first book query about knitting in the round and am trying to figure out where folks got the 2 needle double knitting lesson...? Please help!
klymyshyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:07 AM   #5140
klymyshyn
Ribbing the Cuff

I think this could be fixed by pretending it's on purpose: by running a red strip embroidered into the sts. where the color changes!
klymyshyn is offline   Reply With Quote