Old 11-18-2008, 08:19 PM   #5211
kathyb75
Casting On

hello everyone
kathyb75 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-18-2008, 11:15 PM   #5212
StevenJ
Casting On

Hello from Alaska
Hello all, Just thought i would introduce myself here. Im just your average 25 yr old guy in the army who loves to knit ( so maybe thats no average) but am glad i found this website and am looking foward to helping people and getting help from people when i can! thanks
Steve
StevenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:09 AM   #5213
sgtpam
Turning the Heel

Welcome Soldier. Where are you stationed?
Attached Images:

sgtpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 03:21 AM   #5214
StevenJ
Casting On

My wife and I are both active Duty Army, stationed at Fort Richardson, Alaska. She is a Parachute Rigger and I am a Field Artilleryman. We just love to knit! Im addicted to it, LOL. She got me started about 6 months ago and i am just finishing my first "hard" project tonight, it is a cabled beanie for her of course. I love this site, a few of the girls down at our local knitting shop told us about it.
Steve
StevenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:19 AM   #5215
chj
1st Leg of the Journey

Hi all,

I jumped into a couple of threads, but didn't introduce myself, so I thought I'd come here and do it! I'm 53 and have been knitting since I was 9. My mom taught me, and I also had a 4th grade teacher (the old-fashioned kind!) who thought all girls should know how to knit, and she worked with me as well way back then. I have gone through many phases where I knit or don't knit for years at a time. I made dozens of sweaters back in the mid-70's, and a few afghans along the way. I love doing cables and fisherman-type patterns. This year (and 2 years ago) some of the women at my church decided to knit scarves for a city shelter for Christmas, so I jumped on the bandwagon! Scarves are fun to play around with different kinds of stitches. I've made 5 already, and have 2 more in progress. Mostly I knit with Lions or Caron or other yarns I get at Michaels/AC Moore. But this week I bought som alpaca yarn to knit a scarf for a friend for Christmas, so I'm really excited about that!

Oh, and I signed on to teach basic knitting to some of the other women at my church. That starts this week, and I'm not sure if I'm up to the task...

Anyway, I'm sooooooo happy I found this forum. What a wealth of information!!

CHJ
chj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:16 PM   #5216
judjohns
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to judjohns
Hi I am Judy. I am new to this forum but have been knitting a long time. I am a Family Nurse Practitioner (in the USA this is a nurse with a Master's Degree who can do many of the same things a doctor does, like prescribing medicines and diagnosing illnesses). I am mom to 5 kids and grandma to one and have one on the way, due in March 2009.
judjohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:27 PM   #5217
Hopp2it
Casting On

New to site!
Hi, MJ here, just got on this site and I am really thrilled to get back into knitting and crocheting again. I do have one question. Does anyone know how to do a right twist or a left twist? Seems like I had an old afghan project that I am getting back into and cannot find the instructions. Right now my husband is retired and l need something to do this winter. So guess what? The projects that where started and not finished are now coming out. Did do some mittens for a mitten tree last winter at the school that I work at and really enjoyed that.

Last edited by Hopp2it : 11-19-2008 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Add more information.
Hopp2it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:31 PM   #5218
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
The pattern should have an explanation, but it's like a mini cable over 2 sts.

RT - knit into the 2nd st on the needle from the RS (the front), leaving the st there, knit into the 1st st then let them drop off.

LT - knit into the 2nd st on the needle from the WS (back), leave it on the needle and knit into the 1st st.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:25 AM   #5219
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,907 Posts
Welcome to the forum, everyone!
Originally Posted by lhollems View Post
........now that i've finished the last row, then next thing says to "cont in garter st for 2 1/2 ins (6cm) ending with a ws row" Call me dumb, what does this mean? Do I cont the knit st until the whole thing from top to bottem is 2 1/2 in or knit for 2 1/2 more? Thanks for any help.
I believe it means to keep knitting every stitch on every row (garter stitch) for 2 1/2 MORE inches.
Originally Posted by scooter8amouse View Post
I am about to finish a stole with "live" stitches at each end. But what to do now???
You'll be finishing off with a 3 needle bind off.
Amy has a video that shows how to do it at the bottom of this page: http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/casting-off
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:01 PM   #5220
bigdad1211
Casting On

New to Knitting
Just wanted to say Hello. I am new to knitting and as a 46 year old man, you can guess guess what kind of ribbing I am getting from my male coworkers. One of the ladies on the job started me off with some basic steps and told me about this site.I have always wanted to learn knitting, but my wife didn't have the patience. lol

Well I hope I learn alot from this site
Thanks
Greg
bigdad1211 is offline   Reply With Quote