Old 12-19-2008, 05:12 PM   #5331
Michaele
Ribbing the Cuff

Hello, I'm here.
Hi, I'm 18 and a beginner. I hope this site will help me improve my skills. I've already knit my first scarf, and I'm debating what kind of project I should tackle next. Any suggestions?
Michaele is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-20-2008, 01:57 AM   #5332
jimmersgal
Casting On

looking for Slipper Pattern - Help
Hi Everyone,
First time in this forum, so please bear with me.
My mom has been knitting a type of slipper for years.
She uses two different colors, makes squares which ultimately looks like treads. They are thick.
I'm trying to find a name and a pattern so I can duplicate. Unfortunately, my mom cannot articulate how to knit these slippers and I would like to learn so I don't forget this great family tradition of giving slippers each year to family and friends and to organizations (donations).
I hope I've been able to describe this slipper. When you put them on, they look like they have "treads".
PLEASE HELP
Thank you
jimmersgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:58 AM   #5333
jimmersgal
Casting On

It's really fun to make wash cloths. They make great gifts. I found "Grandmothers Favorite Wash Cloth" on this site. It's really easy and fun. Will help you read a pattern and it's ok to make mistakes.
jimmersgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:41 AM   #5334
jettm
Casting On

Hi..and great site!
I have used this site many times when I started knitting and still come back when I need a touch up (like the I-cord). I thought I would join the forum because I am stepping out of my comfort zone of mittens and scarves. I look forward to learning more techniques with the help of the fabulous people on this site!
jettm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:10 PM   #5335
irenem
Casting On

Hello
Hi.
I'm new to this site. Just found it and so far everything I've seen looks great. I'm not a natural knitter (unlike three generations before me), I'm more of a crocheter.
So, I need lots of help. Read/have tons of how-to books, but find the computer is quicker when I want to know/learn something.
Thanks for having this site available.
Irene
irenem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:43 AM   #5336
weskillian
Casting On

Hello to all!
Hello! I am a "newbie" in every sense of the word! I have been knitting "boas" for a local annual girls' retreat weekend for a few years now, and that has been the extent of my knitting. I have a friend that just last week went with me to get me set up with knitting a sweater! I'm really excited about it, and have gotten off to a fairly good start (after a couple of do-overs), and now I'm struggling with understanding out to read the pattern.

One question: When it says "wrong side (WS)," does that imply that I do a purl row? I know that RS is pretty much the garter stitch, correct? I'm just unclear on how to do this....

I look forward to getting to know some of you! I'll get a picture on here soon, so you'll be able to put a face with my name!

Thanks,
Westleyan
weskillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:27 AM   #5337
crabtreerep
Casting On

hi, i'm new
good morning, having recently lost the 2 most fabulous knitters in my family, i inherited quite a bit of yarn and many needles. i'm happy to be back into knitting. i am following a pattern for a scarf.(cast on 25) after 6 rows the directions are to keep 1st and last 3 sts correct as set by first 6 rows, now work center 19 st. Does anyonne know what that means?
crabtreerep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:55 AM   #5338
cyndimartinez50
Casting On

I was searching for How-To Knit Videos and found this site. I am overwhelmed with everything on it. My only concern is that I may start spending more time on the computer now than on the knitting - Is that possible???
I have a precious new granddaughter(Frist one!) born on Thanksgiving DAY - Gotta find cute knitting patterns now!
cyndimartinez50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:01 AM   #5339
cyndimartinez50
Casting On

Hats knitted in the round are another easy skill to learn. My first one was for a child - Cast on 64 stitches, knit for 5 inches and then begin the decreasing. Pretty simple!
cyndimartinez50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:19 PM   #5340
BigSis2
Casting On

BigSis2 here. My younger sister started an Etsy store last January with her crafts, and in order to support her shop, I logged onto etsy.com and gave myself the name BigSis2 as a buyer, didn't know I could remain annonymous and buy from her. Anyway, once I checked out etsy.com I decided to open my own shop ... then discovered in the fine print that my username was my shop name and it CANNOT BE CHANGED. So my etsy store is BigSis2 and I'm stuck with it. My little sister has two big sisters.

I've been knitting since I was 16. Most of my items, I wore or threw in the trash after being in the closet for many decades. I quit knitting for about 30 years, I hate unfinished projects. Last year I gave myself permission to make mistakes, pull out all of my stitches and start over, etc. I think finally getting a granddaughter changed me!! First I made a shawl for my daughter-in-law that actually turned out (after blocking). Then I made a baby sweater (hoodie) that actually matched the guage.

I bit the bullet early 2008 and made a sweater coat for my daughter-in-law from Patons SWS Earth. It was awesome.

Then I discovered knitting and felting handbags and never looked back. I have a blog www.3knittingsisters.com and a store www.BigSis2.etsy.com
BigSis2 is offline   Reply With Quote