Old 01-14-2009, 12:13 AM   #5511
JerseyShoreDeb
Casting On

So Glad to Be Here!
Hi Everyone,
I have been knitting for about 30 years, but we can all use a little help, right?
Looking forward to exchanging advice with all of you.

Deb in NJ
JerseyShoreDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-14-2009, 04:38 AM   #5512
Noven
Casting On

Hello! I am new to knitting and bought some yarn and needles yesterday to get me started. My plan is to make some hats and stuff eventually, but I guess I am going to start off with some pot holders first. I figured that with my wife being pregnant, learning to knit might be useful for the first 6 months when the baby just lays there, sleeps and eats... at least this gives me something to do and still watch the baby!

I plan to start learning tomorrow after work, as soon as I can grasp the video for Long-Tail Cast-On (I just cant seem to get it to work no matter how many times I try looking at the video!). Anyhoo, thanks for having me and I hope to be here a lot!.
Noven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:55 PM   #5513
RubyPendragon
Casting On

Hello!
Hi, guys. I'm new to KnittingHelp. What drew me? My current challenge is my curling scarf, which is knit in a 3x1 rib. Not sure why this is happening - thought that would only be an issue w/stockinette stitch. Using Patons SWS (Wool/Soy). Can this be blocked to fix the problem?
RubyPendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:28 PM   #5514
jasmineisabella
Casting On

hello, I am brand new to knitting. I am attempting to make Bernat Bunny toy. I have completed the first four inches and directions say to increase by casting on 17 stitches to start the arm, I tried that but after casting on and attempting to knit the row across, the stitches on the right needle are connected to the main piece on the left by a string of yarn that keeps getting longer. help!
jasmineisabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:24 PM   #5515
spicername
Casting On

Hi all. Looks like I'm the newbie on the block. I've been knitting for quite some time but nothing too difficult for fear of not being able to finish something. Boy am I happy to have found this site!! This is possibly the best thing that's happened to me about knitting. I have read books and more books and tried and tried different stitches but realized I'm just one of those people that needs to see to do. Well with your wonderful videos I can do just that. I can't wait to finally try bigger and better things. I am really looking forward to getting better because I so badly want to make some socks. Thanks for providing this great resource.
spicername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:28 AM   #5516
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,907 Posts
Welcome to our wonderful forum, everyone!

Originally Posted by RubyPendragon View Post
My current challenge is my curling scarf, which is knit in a 3x1 rib. Not sure why this is happening - thought that would only be an issue w/stockinette stitch. Using Patons SWS (Wool/Soy). Can this be blocked to fix the problem?
It could be that you need to use larger or smaller needles. Sometimes that helps. You could be knitting too tight or too loose, so changing the needles up or down a size could make a difference in the way it knits up. Good luck!

Originally Posted by jasmineisabella View Post
hello, I am brand new to knitting. I am attempting to make Bernat Bunny toy. I have completed the first four inches and directions say to increase by casting on 17 stitches to start the arm, I tried that but after casting on and attempting to knit the row across, the stitches on the right needle are connected to the main piece on the left by a string of yarn that keeps getting longer. help!
I'll copy your question to the "How To" section. You'll probably get some help there.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:35 PM   #5517
fthompson
Casting On

Thanks Amy
Just wanted to say what an amazing site.
I do not know anything about knitting, so I got me a book on Tuesday and I could not understand anything. I deceided to surf the net and came across your site. It was so easy to follow along. I can now cast on my first stitches and it only took me a couple of minutes. Thanks again Amy and the other members. I will be using the site more often.

fthompson
fthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:04 PM   #5518
megan734
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to megan734
Originally Posted by amy View Post
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself and say hi!

Check out the common abbreviations used on this forum, to decode our chit chat.

To make a post here, you need to "register." When you register, you are required to enter your email address, primarily so we can email you your password, if you ever forget it. You will have the option to "show" your email address. This lets members click a link to email you, but they don't actually get to see your email address. Your email address is protected from spam-harvesting by being hidden.

Don't be shy, we're a very friendly community! We look forward to your posting!

Enjoy our forum!
Amy
thanks amy. any tips on purling?????
megan734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:00 PM   #5519
ladycat
Casting On

new to site
Hi to all
I have been knitting for 40 + years and still love doing it. I live in north Idaho. I have 2 alpacas, 3 parrots,1 housecat,2poms,and 1 bobcat. I spin, knit, crochet, sew and am retired so I have lots of time to do a lot. Oh I forgot I also have a hubby who puts up with all my hobbies.
Sharon in Idaho
ladycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:40 PM   #5520
Emmegsmom
Casting On

Hi
I am a new knitter and I am trying to knit my first scarf today! My kids are nagging me to teach them too, but I have to learn first. I am finding that out of all the needles I have, I have 1 favorite and am having a hard time using any others which is frustrating! I learned from the videos on this site and am looking forward to going to my LYS, which is brand new! Thanks!
Heather
Emmegsmom is offline   Reply With Quote