Old 02-05-2009, 09:10 AM   #5611
IrisKnitter
Casting On

Replacing one addiction with another...
Hi all!

Thought I'd just drop a line because I love this site for all of the videos and ideas. I learned how to knit (the basics anyway) about 5 years ago, but never had the courage to do any major projects. Just recently I quit smoking, and so to do something with my hands and distract me, I decided to make something other than a dish cloth! So far in the past month and a half I've made hats, mittens(learned how to knit on 4 needles), and made my first sweater for my son! Have to admit I am pretty proud of this accomplishment!

Since I have little kids I don't always have time to go to the local yarn store to ask about what a direction in a pattern means, so this is such a fabulous resource!

Knit on, everyone!

BTW, Tilly, making dishcloths is a perfect way to get used to stitches. And it's a short enough project that you don't have time to get bored or frustrated with it. Good luck!
IrisKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-05-2009, 05:44 PM   #5612
catorgel
Casting On

ideas on hiding loose yarn in socks, color patterns
I've returned to knitting after a twenty-year break. This time around I'm working on socks and have a returning problem. How do you weave in color changed yarn ends, how many 'weaves' does it take, can you successfully hide the contrasting color so it doesn't show on the front, etc. You get the idea.
catorgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:16 PM   #5613
SouthernJudy
Casting On

I'm new!!
Hi I'm new here and trying to find my way around. I think this site is great!! can't wait to visit many of the forums.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:24 PM   #5614
JoJo3855
Casting On

Hi KnittingHelp Forum ! All you geniuses out there ...
... my name is JoJo3855 and I'm a knitter from Weymouth, Mass. I am going absolutely [i]CRAZY[i] with a pattern instruction - it's a variation on a rib (for a pullover sweater) - it says "row 2 - p3, *k3, p3, rep from *; row 3 - *k3 wyif, sl 3 sts purlwise wyib; rep from *. I am just not getting this !! Would someone please help unmuddle my feeble brain ... thanks SO much ! Nice to meet you all and hope we'll be chatting a great deal ! Hope I can help someone else with something. Take care ~JoJo3855
JoJo3855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:21 PM   #5615
akgram1
Casting On

hello, I'm Dar, residing in Fairbanks Alaska- I am getting back into some hand knitting again after being away from it for a few years. We sold our place in the lower 48 and have been full time RVers for about 3 years and didn't do a lot of knitting during that time. Have a few projects I had started some time ago and am working at finishing them up. Will be posting a "looking for afghan pattern" request and hopefully someone will know what I'm looking for ?
Am anxious to scout out this site and know I can always learn something from someone. We're never too old for that I've found.
akgram1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:45 PM   #5616
jfvaldez
Casting On

My name is Jackie. I have a son who is almost 2 (in April). I have been married for almost 14 years (again, in April).

I starting knitting about 3 weeks ago. A friend invited me to take a class with her to learn, but then I had to cancel my attendance due to having to attend a funeral. I was so anxious to begin, I came to this website and learned without the class. I am loving it. I can't wait until I have it all figured out.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:23 AM   #5617
brigidb
Casting On

casting on techniques for scarf without fringe
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum but not to knitting as I have been knitting for 65 years!. I learned in school in India during WWII while accompanying my parents (father was in the RAF.) We had long plastic (probably bakelite) needles which had been cut as they were too long for us and then had sealing wax bobbles at the end as knobs.

My question: what do you suggest is the best casting on method for a scarf which will be 60" long about 5-6" wide being knit with worsted weight. It will not have fringes. I was thinking of tubular but am not sure . If I do a plain rib that would work I think. Long tail might be too tight and cable cast on is an option. Any ideas?

Thanks
brigidb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:26 PM   #5618
Marria
Working the Gusset

Hi Brigid! I think just about any cast on you want to use would work. If I were making the scarf, I'd probably just use the long-tail cast on. If your cast-on is too tight, you can try casting on with a needle one size larger and the knitting with your regular needle.

OTN: Dollar and a Half Cardigan, Oddball charity projects, Celia, Trellis
Marria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:50 PM   #5619
wolfcreak
Casting On

new to group
Hi all,
Just learned of this group today. My name is Donna, I'm 60, a cancer survivor living at Lake Navarro Mills, about 20 minutes from Corsicana, Texas and 45 minutes from Waco, Texas and and hour from Dallas. It's my dh, 2 cats (spoilt? naw), 3 dogs, 2 goats, 1 donkey and lots of yarn.
I'm a retired school secretary and hubby is a retired jet engine mechanic. I knit while he flies radio controlled planes.
My knitting goes everywhere with me and I do KIP; it's a great conversation starter. Right now I'm working on a pair of socks, my first pair using wool sock yarn. I'm loving it, have used acrylic before. Also have a cabled shawl on the needles. I alternate, when I get tired of the tiny knitting I go to the fuzzy.
Is there anyone out there in my area?
I hope to learn the magic loop method.
Donna
wolfcreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:07 PM   #5620
PBirdie
Casting On

I've just joined and I hope this will be a good way to learn knitting.
PBirdie is offline   Reply With Quote