Old 02-11-2009, 12:41 PM   #5641
mgabriel
Casting On

HELLO:
J am a 72 yrs. old who is still learning new things. I love to knit and I am trying to knit a pair of gloves for the first tiem, the pattern is very complicated and there are things I do not understand. I am delighted to have entered this site and hoping someone can help.
Myrta Gabriel
Minnesota
mgabriel is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-11-2009, 06:40 PM   #5642
yellow
Casting On

Omg! This site is so helpful. I love it! Thanks!
yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:49 PM   #5643
scrapbecca
Casting On

So New -Where Do I Start?
I am SO new to knitting (but have been crocheting - shhh! since I was 8). I love this site's videos and instructions and have learned quite a few stitches and techniques here. I'm wondering if you ladies know a good place to find practice projects. I have plenty of yarn to waste getting up to speed and want to do some beginner projects that take me from easy, easy stitches on a gradual climb up to more difficult projects (say, a sweater at the end). Can anyone suggest a list or website with that kind of approach? If you don't know of one, can you suggest any small, beginner projects to get me used to using these needles and doing things with them? Thanks so much!
scrapbecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:02 PM   #5644
Marria
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by mgabriel View Post
HELLO:
J am a 72 yrs. old who is still learning new things. I love to knit and I am trying to knit a pair of gloves for the first tiem, the pattern is very complicated and there are things I do not understand. I am delighted to have entered this site and hoping someone can help.
Myrta Gabriel
Minnesota
Myrta-I think that is so awesome! People should never stop learning new things.

If you have questions about your pattern, post them in the how-to forum and you will usually get an answer fairly quickly.

OTN: Dollar and a Half Cardigan, Oddball charity projects, Celia, Trellis
Marria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:03 PM   #5645
Marria
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by scrapbecca View Post
I am SO new to knitting (but have been crocheting - shhh! since I was 8). I love this site's videos and instructions and have learned quite a few stitches and techniques here. I'm wondering if you ladies know a good place to find practice projects. I have plenty of yarn to waste getting up to speed and want to do some beginner projects that take me from easy, easy stitches on a gradual climb up to more difficult projects (say, a sweater at the end). Can anyone suggest a list or website with that kind of approach? If you don't know of one, can you suggest any small, beginner projects to get me used to using these needles and doing things with them? Thanks so much!
A couple of good places to start would be www.knittingpatterncentral.com and if you aren't on Ravelry, you could join there. They have lots of free patterns.

I'd also post your question in the Pattern Central thread.

OTN: Dollar and a Half Cardigan, Oddball charity projects, Celia, Trellis
Marria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:10 PM   #5646
MrsWildchild
Ribbing the Cuff

Working on my 3rd project
So I am a fairly new knitter, but am a quick study. Being a bit of a methodical scientist-type, I rely on sites such as these for learning the "proper" way to do everything. My biggest problem is relaxing enough to let my stitches go a little loose, afraid they won't be consistent that way, but I am improving, and I find larger needles better for that. I happened across knitting as a hobby when doing an internet search for baby shower gifts, and the rest is history. I started with this particular pair of booties, which I never finished, due to misreading an unclear instruction, but learned a lot of different increases, decreases and seams during the process. Moved on to finish a stuffed elephant, 2 Baby Alligator Scarves (www.morehousefarm.com), and am now working on a hat (my first 2-colour project). I have decided that I prefer to knit than to purl. And I am an English knitter. I even get my grandmother-in-law to knit along with me sometimes. She seems to really enjoy the fun of a new unique pattern and she is not used to knitting "in American" (patterns, needle sizes, etc.)
MrsWildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:54 AM   #5647
citrella
Casting On

Are we allowed to meetup knitters and learn from the seniors? I would very much want to learn how to crochet a blouse.

I just learnt knit and purl and managed to complete a scarf thats all.
citrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #5648
Jeremy
Mod Squad

Welcome to the forum everyone!
Old 02-12-2009, 01:01 PM   #5649
danema
Casting On

Knitting Loom Knewbie!
Hi...I'm a newbie to knitting using a loom. Dabbled with knitting needles when I was very young..

Creativity constantly stirs in my blood. I am a massage therapist by profession(5yrs) after leaving a corporate career of 24 years. I also write inspirational poetry. I'm a single mom of 2 beautiful girls(20/14).

I have chosen to make changes in my life and to focus on flowing more in a creative spirit and was looking for something that would nurture that. One day at church, I saw someone using a knitting loom..that was 2 weeks ago, and now I'm working on my 1st project a blanket.

This project has allowed me to practice "being still" as before I was always on the go, worked very long days. My focus starting this year(actually started when I turned 50 last November) is to flow each day with "Grace and Ease". I want to add value to others by exhibiting a spirit of "Grace and Ease" and through this encourage them to find "Grace and Ease" in their lives..this also connects with the work I do as a therapist, as I see so many stressed out people with so many concerns about just living...however, they are stuck in the "doing" mode and forgetting how to "be still" and appreciate the gifts of life.

Anyway, found this forum and was hoping to connect with others that use the knitting loom..and share experiences and motivation..

Knitting Knewbie from North Carolina!
danema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:18 AM   #5650
jbess
Casting On

Newbie and Raglan Seam Question
Hi, All! I have never posted to a thread (is this the right way to say it?!) before, so I hope that I am sending out this communication correctly. I just joined this community and I have to say that I LOVE this website. I find the videos are TERRIFIC and now I am happy to know that there is additional support in talking with 'real' people! Now my question: I have knit the 4 pieces for my baby raglan sweater. The instructions say to simply 'join all raglan seams.' While I know which seams they are referring to, I am at a loss to know which stitch to use for joining. Is it the mattress stitch? If so, wouldn't this stitch make the seam lines disappear? I saw that some say to use the whip stitch, but it looks (on the web) to be 'ugly' and it seems to be a weak seam. So... what do you think? Thanks, in advance for your response. Oh, and I really hope I can figure out how to find your responses, since, again, I am new to this and am having trouble figuring out how this works! Thanks so much for your help! Janie
jbess is offline   Reply With Quote