Old 02-23-2009, 07:25 PM   #5711
SuzanneL
Casting On

SuzanneL
I've been knitting forever but feel like a newcomer with all the new projects and techniques I'm learning. I attend two knitting groups that meet weekly and have made many new friends whose projects are an inspiration. The current explosion in knitting is really quite wonderful.
SuzanneL is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-23-2009, 07:29 PM   #5712
SuzanneL
Casting On

All you need to do is to knit to the end of the row of stitches and then turn the needles around so the yarn is at the beginning of the row and begin the next row just like you did the last row. If it's joined then you're not turning the needles around. You do this just like you'd work on straight needles. You're not alone, everyone I know who knits gets stuck on things that later seem simple.
SuzanneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:06 PM   #5713
newtonizer
Casting On

Thak you, Thank you
Suzanne, thank you sooooo much for the information re the circular needles. I can't believe it is that simple. Every time I do it, it is joined but when I check this site it says clearly you can knit flat on circular needles. Nice if the pattern had told me that. It is supposed to be very basic for beginners.

Thank you again. I will try it. Hopefully I get it this time.
newtonizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:29 PM   #5714
sgtpam
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by newtonizer View Post
Well it is done on circular needles but it is a flat piece. I have tried 6 times and I keep getting the knitting joined, making it like a tube. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??? Can anyone tell me? I am ready to throw it all away. HELP!
It also helps (me) if you use a stitch marker to mark the space between the start and the end. If you don't have a stitch marker, that's no problem! Just use a piece of yarn to mark it (I like to use a different (therefore, obvious) yarn as a marker.

Welcome..........good luck.

sgtpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:23 PM   #5715
kd1949
Casting On

Reintroducing myself
Hi. I have been a member of this forum for a few years, but I have been on a knitting "vacation" for quite a while, so I haven't visited. I picked up my needles again and so I'm back!

I was an inexperienced knitter when I quit out of frustration at being unable to do much beyond garter stitch. I have found that the purl stitch is much easier for me now, maybe because the built-up frustration has settled? Anyway, I am ready to move on to things just a bit more complicated than garter stitch scarves now!

I have to say that the videos here have been the most help of anything I have ever tried, including all the books I own and the in-person classes I took. I learned my first knitting from this site, and when I started again, I had completely forgotten how to do a long-tail cast-on, so I came here and was on my way.

Owning the CDs with the videos is the best knitting investment there is, in my opinion!
kd1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:49 AM   #5716
nanataughtmetoknit
Casting On

This seems to be a great place to be if you have knittin questions. I will be sure to visitit more and more.
nanataughtmetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:20 AM   #5717
julie48x
Casting On

My name is Julie I am a fairly new knitter and I am wondering if anyone has any tricks or suggestions on how to use fun fur yarn I seem to be making a knotty mess!!!

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Thank you

julie48X
julie48x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:47 AM   #5718
AH1OZ
Knitting the Flap

hello, i'm another Amy. i'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to knitting even though i have been knitting for years
AH1OZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:50 PM   #5719
maisiemacchester
Casting On

Blocking novice just joined -
Hi, just joined. Am getting ready to block and seam my first sweater where I CARE ABOUT THE SEAMS! Yikes!

I'm a Colinette junkie, currently, so if you have Colinette stash, drop me a line! Or Colinette pattern books you want to get rid of.

Anyone out there who has blocked and seamed Colinette Point 5 is welcome to offer tips and support! XXOO Jann
maisiemacchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:58 PM   #5720
cpopenfus
Casting On

new to this and not very computer literate
delighted to have found this site. i am a relatively new knitter but passionate - i love the whole zen of it- please bear with me if i ask too many questions - sometimes i have a hard time wrapping my brain around a concept, or rather i can rationalize it in my head but cannot execute.

thank you for a wonderful site and new friends--

cp
cpopenfus is offline   Reply With Quote