Old 05-18-2009, 06:05 AM   #6021
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,907 Posts
Originally Posted by wshera View Post
.....would like your help on this particular pattern that says"K2(p1,k2,p1)" do i knit the stitches within the brackets several time or do i repeat knit the 2 stitches outside the brackets as well. also one more question. how do i increase in a purl stitch.....
Hi wshera, You'll get lots of help with these questions if you post them in the "How To" section of the forum.

I'll offer my help here, though....

Regarding your first question, your repeating will depend on what the pattern specifies. Sometimes, they tell you to repeat everything within the brackets. Other times, they specify that you knit between asterisks. So, check your pattern for your answer.

For your second question, you could do a Purl Front & Back (PFB), or a Yarn Over (YO), or a Make One (M1). You'll see more increasing and decreasing options in the Videos section of this website. Just look for the links at the top of this webpage.

Good luck!
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-18-2009, 08:50 AM   #6022
savta
Casting On

clumsy knitter
Hi,

firstly, use at least #8 needles and yarn approrpriate to needle size. Knitting is a two handed art so it does not matter if you are left handed. I had no problem teaching my lefthanded granddaughter to knit. Just keep playing the videos and pause them. Good luck.
savta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:10 AM   #6023
savta
Casting On

Dear Vicki,

Knit the first row straight across. Then all your stitches will be going the same way and you can join on the next round.
savta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:36 AM   #6024
TuziToo
Casting On

Hi Ya'll! I love this site.

A little bit about me: my Mom taught me to knit when I was younger, but I never had the patience to follow through with finishing anything other than house slippers. Now I'm in China, and all the women on my husband's side of the family knit (without patterns), and they're teaching me to knit the same way! It's really exciting for me, because I'm learning how to make things without having to follow someone else's pattern, and how to finish things in a timely manner. (There's a way of holding the needles here that really seems to speed up the process from what my Mom taught me.) There's only two downsides: first is that it's all in Chinese, so reading patterns in the future might prove to be a little difficult, and second, I find myself staring at people's sweaters trying to figure out how something was done, rather than paying attention to what they are actually saying to me (I know, it's rude.)

My husband thinks I have completely lost my mind, but I don't see this hobby going away. I figured it was time to join this forum when I caught myself lurking here almost everyday for the past two+ months.
TuziToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:18 AM   #6025
AnneRozkydal
Casting On

Hi! My name is Anne and I just found this website while looking up some knitting abbreviations. I learned to knit when I was a little girl (just basic stuff), and have just gotten back into it this past fall. I retired from the Air Force after 24 years, so now have more time to pursue crafts. Just since November, I knit an aran for husband, sweater for my grown daughter, numerous pairs of socks and a hat. What I've come to realize is I need to work on proper technique for holdng yarn. I knit all those items without holding the yarn in my fingers - it was just hanging. Fortunately, my tension did come out fine, but doing it properly would increase my speed and also improve on what seems fine and make it better. There's that and then working with more than 1 color at a time. I am currently taking a 3 session class to knit mittens in a fair isle design. It's going well...I've just started carrying the yarn in both hands. The only thing I am not getting the hang of, is when I need to catch the yarn up without knitting it, so I don't have a long loop inside. Some of the pattern has as many as 9 stitches in one color, so I am picking up the yarn about every 3rd stitch, to keep smaller loops on the wrong side. The outcome looks right, but it is really awkward, and I am always getting the yarn all twisted around each other. When this is going on, I am carrying both strands of yarn in one hand, because I just can't see how it is done and then actually duplicate. I've watched my instructor numerous times...not getting it. Is there a video for this? Thanks so much. This website is quite exciting!
AnneRozkydal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:25 AM   #6026
AnneRozkydal
Casting On

Sorry! Just getting the hang of thisforum and mistakenly posted this twice.

Last edited by AnneRozkydal : 05-19-2009 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Duplicate message
AnneRozkydal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:11 AM   #6027
joan adis
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to joan adis
Good morning & welcome Tuzi, i am a struggling knitter and love every minute of it. i want so badly to knit a sock by the magic loop way. my good friend Manor just moved a couple weeks ago to China. she is a single mom, grown kids & grandkids, she is not chinese, but she moved, it took her a while to get papers, she fell off the escalater soon as she got there, and now he she has to have surgery there in China.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:14 AM   #6028
joan adis
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to joan adis
Wow, you are doing great, i want to knit socks but keep having trouble when i get to the heel part, did you have any trouble. did you do it the magic loop way? did you take a class for socks?
Old 05-19-2009, 09:52 AM   #6029
playfulpixie
Casting On

Another newbie!
Hello all my fellow knitters! I am brand new here. I have been knitting for about 7 years. I am a single mom of a wonderful 11 year old boy. I live in southwest virginia..half the town is in tenn. I love to wear and play with fibers of all types, bright colors and the crazier the better! Hope to see you all around!
playfulpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:00 PM   #6030
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,907 Posts
Hi everyone!
Welcome to our wonderful KH Forum!
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote