Old 05-28-2009, 10:14 PM   #6051
BelWulff
Casting On

I just started knitting and just found this site. So far I love it! I was having trouble getting down the knit stitch, I watched the video and I think I finally got it! I think I'll learn a lot here. Thanks!
BelWulff is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-29-2009, 08:40 AM   #6052
mommyknits
Casting On

HI all!
Hi all,

My name is Jenni and I just started knitting, I have been knitting on looms for a few months and have now moved on to knitting needles. I love it! I have finally found a hobby that I am passionate about and really enjoy doing!! I can't wait to use this site and forums more!
mommyknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:25 AM   #6053
eyerishroses
Casting On

Hello Everyone
I use to knit. I just started picking up the needles again. I came upon this site by doing google search for one piece knitting of sweaters. I wish this was around when I first started knitting! I learned from a book, I love your movies. Have a good day!
eyerishroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:01 AM   #6054
starpatch
Casting On

Happy to have some kindred souls who love to knit.
I am a new knitter...I love the new craft. and hope to make every one in the family new socks...just trying to master the 4 or 5 needles was just too much for this novice.

Have two books on circular sock knitting.

But am practicing with worsted weight and 12 inch circulars to get the hang of how to do the entire sock, can't stop trying...after I finish the one sock, after many attempts and rip outs..I will do a happy dance and use my new sock yarn!

I am so happy to fing this site...hope I can make some friends here.
starpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:14 AM   #6055
Meggityb
Casting On

I'm so excited!
Hi there!
I'm Meg and I first used your site last year when I was traveling, away from my knitting friends, and had forgotten how to do an increase that my pattern called for. I found you using Google and you walked me through it.
It took me a long time to learn to knit but I've got it now. I had always used the Throw Method and was reluctant to try Continental because I am just a slow learner for this kind of thing. Today I got brave, watched your instructional video, and I am Continental knitting like I was born doing it! So thanks for teaching me something new...and for helping me feel like I CAN do it!

Meg
Meggityb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:01 AM   #6056
tsardust
Casting On

Just a short note to introduce myself---50ish(OMG) knitter living in Snohomish county Washington who is always looking for an opportunity to visit a LYS and add to my stash. thank you for allowing me to join this group. the frogging emoticon is cute!! kudos to you .tsardust
tsardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:52 AM   #6057
joan adis
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to joan adis
Did you really make 22 pairs, i just can't catch on. Did you do the magic loop? Which do you reccomend. Thanks
Old 05-30-2009, 03:33 PM   #6058
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,843 Times in 1,908 Posts
Welcome to the KH Forum, everyone!

Originally Posted by joan adis View Post
Did you really make 22 pairs, i just can't catch on. Did you do the magic loop? Which do you reccomend. Thanks
Yes, I did. Some of my socks were made with fingering yarn, others with worsted or DK yarn, and a few were made with chunky yarn (slipper socks). They were all made with double pointed needles. I prefer using dpns, because I just like doing things the old fashioned way.

I tried Magic Loop, but didn't really like having the cords hanging everywhere. I also tried using two circulars, but didn't like having the needle points hanging around. I don't mind using dpns, because they just feel better in my hands. It really depends on the person. Some people use two circulars all the time. Others make theirs Magic Loop. Some prefer to make theirs toe-up, and others start from the top of the cuff (like me). You just have to try the different methods, and see which one you like.

Here are some of the socks I've made, and some of the ones I have in progress:
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:22 AM   #6059
ajsgram
Casting On

Hi and a question
Hi!

I am brand new to this site and a fairly new knitter. I took up knitting again after retiring. I always seem to manage to run into problems with understanding the patterns, so when I found this site, it seems to be what I need. I am a retired school teacher with 2 adult children and 2 grandchildren. My husband and I are fortunate in that we can be quite involved with the grands and manage to do a lot of fun things with them.

Now for my question which I will quote directly from the pattern."With smaller needles cast on 119 sts. Work in k1, p1, rib for 4 rows, increasing 1 st at center of last row. (120 stitches. Change to larger needles and work in pattern as follows:"

Since I have 119 sts on the needle, I am not sure where the center is. Do i increase after the 59th stitch? and does it make a difference how i increase?

Sorry for being so dense about this. It would have just been easier if it had been an even number of stitches in the first place.
ajsgram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:55 AM   #6060
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Welcome!

The reason you have an odd number of stitches for the ribbing is so you can start with a knit and end with a knit.

It really doesn't matter where you put that one stitch increase. It's just to bring it up a stitch. Anywhere will do.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote