Old 07-13-2009, 01:51 AM   #6161
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,908 Posts
Welcome to the forum, everyone!

Originally Posted by Raine View Post
.....I have been having pain issue with my arm/shoulder area. I am seeing a chiropractor to help but I figured you may know some knitting exercise that may help me. I would hate to give up knitting....
I sometimes have pain also. It helps me to switch to different projects, instead of knitting just one thing at a time. Using different size needles and different yarns helps to exercise different muscles.

Also, sometimes I just have to take a break and do something else to let my hands and wrists and arms rest. Occasionally, my arthritis and tendonitis acts up so much that I have to take a day off from knitting. I usually look at knitting magazines on those days.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-15-2009, 11:58 AM   #6162
knittingupnorth
Casting On

Hello
I am new to this site (as of yesterday) and just wanted to say hello. When I started knitting a few years ago we lived in a town that had a wonderful knitting shop right in town. We have since moved and I have to drive at least an hour to find a knitting shop so I have been deprived of my knitting com padres in my old shop. I am so glad to have found this site in order to chat with those who understand the knitting addiction.
Bobbi, who is 'knitting up north', literally.
knittingupnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:14 PM   #6163
Moxie
Casting On

First timer on board-please be gentle!!!
Ok, here I am with no idea what to do or what direction to take. All I know is that I need a hobby that I can do to calm my nerves, direct my energy into something positive, and see the results of my creativity. I am now unemployed(so what else is new) with very very limited funds, can't really go any where or do anything because I have no money, feel like I'm just existing and not living, on the edge of eviction from apt, and asking God to give me a clue as to next steps. I am hoping that knitting will fill in the gaps a bit. I was taught in the days of home economics which should give you some ideas as to my age. Yes, I am old school and proud of it. Frankly, I don't remember a thing. I mean absolutely nothing other than I enjoyed it. So, here I am needing something productive and creative I can do(other than volunteer my time which has become a mainstay in my life) to pass the time. I live in northern NJ. I hope I can find a group(feel free to send me suggestions) of very nice people that enjoy knitting/crocheting(spelling??) to teach me so that I can laugh more and enjoy the fruits of my labor. I have yarn and some needles. I thought I would start with a poncho or something simple or cap. Do I need a pattern? I don't even know how to cast on or hold the needles or anything yet. The salesperson at Micheals helped me. So what is next? I figure I will watch the videos.
Moxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:57 AM   #6164
knittingupnorth
Casting On

Hi Moxie
I am new to the site as well. I did just want to chime in and say that I took up knitting while going through chemo a few years back and you picked just the right hobby to direct your energy, calm your nerves and in general save your sanity.
Happy knitting. PS, be sure that you pick an easy fun pattern and you will be knitting constantly in no time.
knittingupnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:48 PM   #6165
janicek
Casting On

hello
I just joined wanted to say hello to everyone
janicek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:07 PM   #6166
nemaent
Ribbing the Cuff

I am old to knitting but new to this site. It is fantastic! Where have you guys been all my life? I've been lurking and just observing the last several days, and have learned a few new things -- and here I thought I knew everything (just ask my kids!). Love all the good advice!

Happy knitting!
nemaent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:46 AM   #6167
Nikki8D
Casting On

Hi! I've been lurking for a few days, finally decided to say hi.

I'm a recent returnee to knitting, having learned a little (most of which I've forgotten) at school. It's fun and relaxing, and my daughter loves when I make her some shockingly pink knitted creation!
Old 07-17-2009, 10:41 AM   #6168
SamF81
Casting On

Hello
I just wanted to say hi! I have been using the videos here for a while but have only just noticed the forum! I am 27, i have 2 children - a son aged 8 and a daughter aged 3 and am currently 28wks pregnant. I have not been knitting very long, i'v done a couple of beanie hats and am part way thru a funky fur baby blanket and a baby tank top. I will no doubt ask lots of very silly questions due to inexperience and pregnancy brain lol!
SamF81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:14 PM   #6169
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,908 Posts
Welcome to our wonderful Knitting Help Forum!
I think you will all like it here.

Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
.......I thought I would start with a poncho or something simple or cap. Do I need a pattern? I don't even know how to cast on or hold the needles or anything yet.........
Welcome! Since you're new to knitting, you might want to start with a dishcloth. They are fast and easy, and you learn all kinds of different things when making them. And they make perfect gifts!

Start by watching the "How To Knit" videos here:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/learn-to-knit

Then, you'll find lots of free dishcloth patterns here:
Dishcloth Boutique
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:12 PM   #6170
AntBee
Casting On

Just saying a quick hello and thank you for this wonderful site! It's been a godsend like you wouldn't believe!
Thanks again!
AntBee is offline   Reply With Quote