Old 08-21-2009, 12:09 PM   #6231
beej13
Casting On

great site
hi everyone im just new to this site-- 10 minutes new. and i already have learned how to make a great button hole. i didnt realize i knew so little about knitting. i have been knitting for years. i have a feeling this is going to be great fun. bonnie
beej13 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-21-2009, 12:54 PM   #6232
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Hi Bonnie!

I know exactly what you mean! I had been knitting for positively centuries...and didn't realize how much I didn't know either! Now, as I look back, I am embarrassed by some of my knitting! Especially the seams! Oy!

Anyway, we are so happy you are here with our Knitting Family!

Keep us posted about what you're knitting!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:37 AM   #6233
glassjules
Casting On

Hi, I'm new here! I'm an intermediate crocheter just learning to knit, too. I'm only knitting and purling at this point.

I am working on the Five Rectangle Baby Sweater right now.

Glad this is here, I'm glassjules on ravelry, also.
glassjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:04 AM   #6234
Mormor
Casting On

Hi!
Hello everyone,
I'm new to this web site. I'm an avid knitter but have come to a snag. Can't for the life of me figure out a part on a Debbie Bliss pattern. Where do I post it and maybe someone out there can help me?
Mormor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:42 AM   #6235
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Hi and Welcome to KH everyone

Originally Posted by Mormor View Post
Hello everyone,
I'm new to this web site. I'm an avid knitter but have come to a snag. Can't for the life of me figure out a part on a Debbie Bliss pattern. Where do I post it and maybe someone out there can help me?
Hi Mormor, you can post in the Pattern forum if you have a question about a certain pattern. Be sure to include the name of the pattern, link if there is one, or book it is found in...so they can search around for ya if need be

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:58 AM   #6236
jamdogg
Casting On

Return to Knitting
I am returning to the great sport of knitting after many years of absence, and this site and forum looks just chock-full of great knowledge. The last time I picked up the knitting needles, there was no such thing as "The Internets", so I'm thrilled to have some extra help in getting started again. I've never been the avid knitter, but just clackin' the needles for a while is relaxing and fun!
jamdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:13 AM   #6237
etoilechaude
Knitting the Flap

Howdy all!! I just decided to take up knitting 2 weeks ago... thought it would be a great hobby since I don't work for the month of August (the joys of being a dance teacher!). My grandfather had just started to knit before he passed away, and from what I understand we are VERY similar.

I've already figured out knit, purl, increase, decrease, elongated stitch, cast on and bind off... it feels great to know all of that after just two weeks! I currently have 3 scarves on needles and I'm completely obsessed

My ultimate goal (for now) is a cute sweater pattern I found on knitty.com. Men's wool knit sweaters are so pricey that I'd much rather know that the $$ I put into it also came with my own creativity!

Sorry for the rambling, but thank you for such an amazing resource!
etoilechaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:51 PM   #6238
genstitch
Casting On

Thank you, Amy! I've been to this site SEVERAL times to view videos and I'm excited about joining this forum.

Thanks for making this possible!!

~s
genstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:14 PM   #6239
toomanykids7
Casting On

Hi!! Everyone
Hello I am new to knitting about a year! This website is fantastic!! But I need some help with intarsia knitting. Could someone please tell me if you read the pattern right to left or left to right or both this is very confusing to me. Thanks so much.
toomanykids7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:13 PM   #6240
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,908 Posts
Welcome to the forum everyone!

Originally Posted by CraftyDad View Post
........i think i'm going to use 10 or 10.5 needles for worsted weight wool yarn. Does that sound right?
Hi Mike, Yes, size 10 needles will work fine with worsted weight yarn. If you are a loose knitter, you might want to switch to size 8 or 9. Just try it out and see what looks best. Good luck!

Originally Posted by toomanykids7 View Post
Hello I am new to knitting about a year! This website is fantastic!! But I need some help with intarsia knitting. Could someone please tell me if you read the pattern right to left or left to right or both this is very confusing to me. Thanks so much.
Hello there!
It sounds like you are using a chart for the intarsia portion.

Your chart will have rows of symbols for the section you're working on. Just start on the bottom row, and read the symbols from right to left. Then, go up to the next row, and read the symbols left to right. Keep going back and forth this way as you go up the chart. Soon, your knitting will match what you see on the chart, and it will get easier.

If your knitting is done with stockinette stitch, be sure the knit the rows on the right side, and purl the rows on the wrong side.

Good luck!
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote