Old 10-08-2005, 04:00 PM   #621
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
WELCOME, Tracy!

You will also find that with some projects, bigger needles, sometimes just 1 size up, can make the fabric SOFTER. You'll get a feel for it...have fun with it!
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-08-2005, 04:19 PM   #622
knitting4babybear
Turning the Heel

Well the sz 10 IS softer...looser and softer.

Thanks Kelly...

Larger needles...makes things look different...makes things softer...got it!

There's so much to know...I feel like I'll never learn it all!
I just want to be able to knit lots and lots of afghans and scarves and socks to go with my tea ,and my poetry, and my books....

Just imagining a world of yarn and tea makes my heart go pitter pat.

I'm such a loser.

On Needles: Things that seem to fly off as rapidly as they were cast on because of my apparent aversion to finishing, oh...anything. Anything at all.
knitting4babybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 04:20 PM   #623
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
If that makes you a loser, then welcome to the losers' club!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 04:31 PM   #624
knitting4babybear
Turning the Heel

You guys like tea and books?

YEAH! I didn't know there was a club. Highschool would have been WAY better! :rofling:

Thanks for the welcome guys... :XX:

On Needles: Things that seem to fly off as rapidly as they were cast on because of my apparent aversion to finishing, oh...anything. Anything at all.
knitting4babybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 07:31 PM   #625
Ladybug
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to Ladybug Send a message via Yahoo to Ladybug
Hi everyone! My name is Lesley and I'm a beginner knitter. I have been only knitting a few days now. I bought the book "Stitch 'N Bitch" to teach myself, as no one I know knits and I live in the willywags of Maine and there are no classes near me :( Has anyone else here read the book? It's a riot! :D Anyway, I got the slipknot and double cast on pretty well, but when I got to the English knitting I was completely stumped. Luckily, someone on another forum that I frequent (scrapbook-related) posted a link to the videos on this site. I found the video of the English knitting and was psyched to finally understand how to do it!!

So, then I got poking around on this site a little more and I have to say that it completely rocks! I really look forward to sharing with you all

Like Tracy, I have always wanted to learn to knit. I thought that it was super cool to see the creations that came out of balls of yarn! Now that I have a child (a daughter, Lily - 5 months), I REALLY want to learn because I want to be able to make her the cute little ponchos, hats, scarfs, etc And on a personal level, my maternal grandmother was a knitter - she died when I was 10. I feel like learning the craft that she enjoyed would sort of bring me a little closer to her, even though she has been gone for nearly 13 years.

So that is me, in a nutshell...
Old 10-08-2005, 07:33 PM   #626
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
Welcome Lesley!!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 08:23 PM   #627
earthchick
Turning the Heel

Welcome Lesley and Tracy!

Lesley, I know exactly what you mean about feeling closer to a grandmother who knitted. My grandmother, who passed away 5 years ago, didn't knit but she did crochet and tat. Somehow when I'm working with needles and yarn I just suddenly feel so close to her. It's very cool. I wish I had taken up knitting while she was still living so we could've done our handicrafts together.

Anyway, welcome to both of you. I've only been here a couple of weeks and I have already learned so much. I love this place!

earthchicknits
The Seven Things Project
earthchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 08:47 PM   #628
mintdee
Working the Gusset

Welcome to the nuthouse one and all! We may be nutty but so much fun

No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness. Aristotle

OTN:
sweater from hell for TJ
simple socks
mintdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 01:01 PM   #629
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Welcome everyone!!!

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 01:10 AM   #630
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Wow, how'd I get so behind on this thread?
Hi to all the new folks, and welcome! Nice to read and get to know more about each of you!

Beth, thanks for the sweet comment (like 10 pages back! LOL). And thanks to Knittokeepwarm.

Virtuella, welcome! One of my closest friends is from Norway.
Welcome Anne.

CLG, welcome aboard, glad we've got you hooked! (or is that a crochet term? ...We've got you poked? erm, never mind).

Welcome Liz and Tracy!
Welcome Lesley! Stitch n' Bitch is a GREAT book, you'll find plenty of fans here. That's so nice about your grandmother, knitting is special that way to me as well. My maternal grandmother is still alive, but I rarely get to see her, and knitting makes me feel closer to her as well.

Oh, all the talk of having tea makes me want to have y'all over for tea. This is my favorite time of the day, other than knitting in the evenings of course! I have a serious tea fettish, I don't know if I've ever even mentioned it. Flowery gold-rimmed tea cups are the one thing I really "collect." And every day I sit down and have tea with my girlish set, and delight that my husband will have it with me. Sometimes I let him use a mug, although occasionally he actually asks for a tea cup, which thrills me to no end. Wonderful, but not quite the same as drinking tea with girlfriends!

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote