Old 09-28-2009, 11:41 PM   #6331
Remontoire
Casting On

Send a message via ICQ to Remontoire Send a message via AIM to Remontoire Send a message via MSN to Remontoire Send a message via Yahoo to Remontoire
Originally Posted by CountryNaturals View Post
I've been gone since January. Back then I was working on our daughter's pet expo. When that was over, in April, I started getting sick. That ended in major surgery in July. Now I'm finally recovered and ready to get back to knitting! It may take me a month to get caught up, but it will be fun.
Knitting is just the thing for healing. Cheers to you!
Ian

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-01-2009, 12:02 PM   #6332
Summer
Casting On

Thank you Amy, for your warm greeting. I'm Bev and today is chilly here in SE Pennsylvania and when it asked for users name first thing I thought of was something warm, so Summers' the name! I'm real original, aren't I .

I know how to knit, I just don't know how to make it look nice and neat; So I gonna nose around and see if I can find the beginners section.

Thank you, in advance, to everyone on the forum for your help, advise, cirtiquing(sp), ideas...I welcome them all. It's nice to be in the midst of like minded people.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:20 PM   #6333
gleewhi
Casting On

combo knitter
Hi, i just signed up, I learned the European knitting from a Russian lady, but i got caught up in the combination knitting....have no idea how, but i watched the video on the home page and sure enough..that's how i've been knitting...but i'm half way through a project- i'm making a pullover vest almost done with the front...should i do that back the same way or is it possible to do the back knitting the continental knitting way..??
gleewhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:26 PM   #6334
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,906 Posts
Welcome to the forum, everyone!

gleewhi, you can knit the back any way you want.
Shandeh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:40 AM   #6335
Sherries1970
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to Sherries1970 Send a message via Yahoo to Sherries1970
New to knitting--intrigued, excited and lost!
Hi everyone! I'm Sherrie and I'm new to knitting. I became disabled after 2 failed spinal fusions, followed by a pulmonary embolism (blood clot on the lung), all within the span of 8 months. Since I am unable to work I needed something to pass the time (besides watching soap operas and talk shows--a person can only take so much of daytime TV!).

I actually got "started" last summer when my daughter's friend came over and noticed some knitting accessories my daughter received as a Christmas gift the year before. My daughter has no interest in knitting so she let her friend have it. I learned to crochet from my older sister when I was probably 9 (she's 14 yrs older than I am and is the ultimate craft queen LOL) so yarns aren't new to me.

I watched my daughter's friend knitting and was intrigued. I thought to myself "I can do this!" so I grabbed a set of needles and then became lost. I had no idea how to start anything or even how to do any stitches. My daughter's friend stopped what she was doing and offered to teach me the very basics. I got the knit stitch down pat. I practiced that stitch for a month. My next step was to learn to purl. THAT'S where I get lost.

Does anyone have any techniques, hints, etc that would help me to pick up on it? I am right handed. I have such a hard time grasping the concept of switching from a knit to purl stitch. I want to make sure I have the purl down before I go to anything else.

Lastly, I want to say thank you for this site! I've gone to many others and started doubting my ability to catch on to knitting. When I came across this site and saw all the videos I was instantly hooked and come back to it every day. Today I finally signed up and I'm glad I did! I look forward to meeting fellow knitters who seem to have not only a better grasp of this craft but the ability to help those of us who are lost.

Thank you in advance for any and all tips! I look forward to creating lots of things and becoming a better knitter!
Old 10-05-2009, 08:33 AM   #6336
lynnaiken
Casting On

needing to know what this means
I have been knitting for a few years but as yet have not been brave enough to try knitting in the round or making socks. I found a purse pattern that I like but do not know what this means: Knit all knit stitches and Purl all purl stitches as they appear. I appreciate any help i can get on this
lynnaiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:42 AM   #6337
Sherries1970
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to Sherries1970 Send a message via Yahoo to Sherries1970
I just wanted to give an update on my initial post. After posting I sat down with a simple scarf project that I printed out and was determined to learn to purl. I watched the video on purl stitches about 4 times and finally got it! I don't know how but I'm not going to question it LOL!! I'm about 10 rows into the scarf (40 stitches, knit 2, purl 2 and repeat until the scarf is the desired length--told you it was a simple pattern!!) and I can now see the pattern and I get it!

After this scarf is complete I will post pictures. I'm taking pictures along the way to show my progress. I'm now so excited about it and can't wait to do other projects!!!
Old 10-06-2009, 05:10 AM   #6338
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Welcome to our wonderful KH Forum!

Originally Posted by lynnaiken View Post
.........I found a purse pattern that I like but do not know what this means: Knit all knit stitches and Purl all purl stitches as they appear.
I used to get confused by that term all the time when I was a new knitter. "Knit the knits and Purl the purls" just means to knit stitches that look like they were just knit. And purl stitches that look like they were just purled.

In this photo, you can see that the first 3 stitches on the right are KNIT stitches, so you would knit them. The next 3 stitches are PURL stitches, so you would purl them.

I also made a video to hopefully help you understand it better.
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Originally Posted by Sherries1970 View Post
I just wanted to give an update on my initial post. After posting I sat down with a simple scarf project that I printed out and was determined to learn to purl. I watched the video on purl stitches about 4 times and finally got it!
Congratulations on learning to purl!
Shandeh is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shandeh For This Useful Post:
lelvsdgs (10-06-2009), Sherries1970 (10-07-2009)
Old 10-06-2009, 11:53 AM   #6339
lelvsdgs
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Shandeh View Post
Welcome to our wonderful KH Forum!

I used to get confused by that term all the time when I was a new knitter. "Knit the knits and Purl the purls" just means to knit stitches that look like they were just knit. And purl stitches that look like they were just purled.

In this photo, you can see that the first 3 stitches on the right are KNIT stitches, so you would knit them. The next 3 stitches are PURL stitches, so you would purl them.

I also made a video to hopefully help you understand it better.
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Congratulations on learning to purl!
You are awesome! A true teacher at heart, thanks so much for doing these videos. They help me and so many other people.

http://www.frappr.com/knittinghelp

Knitting is saving my sanity

OTN: Hats, hats and soon, socks!

FO:Hats-about 6 of them and a scarf for a coworker
lelvsdgs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lelvsdgs For This Useful Post:
Shandeh (10-06-2009)
Old 10-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #6340
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thank you, my friend!