Old 10-07-2009, 12:38 PM   #6341
debrajj
Casting On

I want to learn to knit. What do you suggest that I start with? Also, I am left handed, will this affect how I knit?
debrajj is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-07-2009, 02:56 PM   #6342
debp
Casting On

New Post
This my first time on this site. My name is Judy and I live in Wisconsin. I have been knitting on and off for 40 years. Im now retired and back at it.
My current delema is- I'd like to make a scarf with a #5 yarn, pattern calles for a #1 useing a doubble strand. Pattern also calls for a #8 knitting needle, cast on 42 stitches. How do I go about doing this changing the numbers to fit the pattern?
Thanks Judy
debp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:23 AM   #6343
Sherries1970
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to Sherries1970 Send a message via Yahoo to Sherries1970
Here is a picture of the project I'm working on about 1/3 of the way through (after learning to purl).

I'm pretty excited...just anxious to get the project complete but I know I need to be patient and take my time with it.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	php3AVI1vAM.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	53510  
Old 10-08-2009, 04:03 AM   #6344
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,909 Posts
Welcome to the forum, everyone!

Originally Posted by debrajj View Post
I want to learn to knit. What do you suggest that I start with? Also, I am left handed, will this affect how I knit?
It would probably be easiest to start with a small project, like a headband or a dishcloth. Scarves are good too, but they take a LONG time to finish.

Since you are left-handed, you can decide now if you want to knit left-handed or right-handed. In knitting, you really use both hands, so it doesn't matter. Some people would recommend that you knit right handed, since most patterns are written for right-handed knitting.....but I don't know if it really makes a difference or not. (I'm not left-handed, so I can't tell you.)

There are some good websites for left-handed knitting that might help. Just do a search for "left handed knitting" on Google. Good luck!

Originally Posted by debp View Post
This my first time on this site. My name is Judy and I live in Wisconsin..........My current delema is- I'd like to make a scarf with a #5 yarn, pattern calles for a #1 useing a doubble strand. Pattern also calls for a #8 knitting needle, cast on 42 stitches. How do I go about doing this changing the numbers to fit the pattern?
Hi Judy! Since you're making a scarf, you don't have to worry about the size so much. So, you could just cast on the number of stitches they recommend, knit for a while, and see how it looks. Since it's not a fitted garment, it doesn't have to be exactly the same size as they recommend. Scarves come in all sizes, so it will be usable, no matter what size it turns out to be!

Originally Posted by Sherries1970 View Post
Here is a picture of the project I'm working on about 1/3 of the way through (after learning to purl).
Lovely! You might want to post your project in the "Whatcha Knitting" section of the forum, so you'll get even more encouragement!
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shandeh For This Useful Post:
Sherries1970 (10-12-2009)
Old 10-08-2009, 09:08 PM   #6345
ChristineO
Casting On

Hi! I'm Christine. I'm a full-time, homeschooling mom to 3 little girls, and I live in Texas. I've been knitting for almost two years. I've recently gotten into designing my own patterns, and have published a few for free on my blog. http://christineolsonoriginals.blogspot.com

I look forward to getting to know y'all!
ChristineO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChristineO For This Useful Post:
Sherries1970 (10-08-2009)
Old 10-08-2009, 11:08 PM   #6346
Sherries1970
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to Sherries1970 Send a message via Yahoo to Sherries1970
Originally Posted by ChristineO View Post
Hi! I'm Christine. I'm a full-time, homeschooling mom to 3 little girls, and I live in Texas. I've been knitting for almost two years. I've recently gotten into designing my own patterns, and have published a few for free on my blog. http://christineolsonoriginals.blogspot.com

I look forward to getting to know y'all!
I looked at your blog and LOVE the shawl! It's beautiful and very kind of you to offer it for others to use.
ChristineO (10-09-2009)
Old 10-12-2009, 08:02 AM   #6347
annikah
Ribbing the Cuff

Hi! I have been away from this forum al long time so let me introduce myself again, i'm Annika 30 years old, single and living in the Netherlands.
I used to work at a childrens daycare, but for the last 10 months i was unable to work because i'm suffering from depression.
I love to knit (of course!), draw, and play my guitar!
annikah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:00 PM   #6348
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,909 Posts
Welcome everyone!
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:12 PM   #6349
LouiseV
Casting On

LouiseV
Hi! I am new here and new to knitting! I took a class this past summer and learned the knit stitch, so I've been practicing alot and it is addictive. I love this site - the videos are great and I've had several people recommend it to me. Now I just need to learn to purl and bind off - I'm going to try and make a scarf.

I do have one question. For a beginner knitter, would it be harder to knit a scarf with large needles to give it more of a lacy look? I bought some yarn in the shop I took the class in and the guy said this particular scarf would be easy because its just the knit stitch - he showed me a sample of the finished scarf and said it was knitted on large needles. It looked lovely.

Thanks and sorry I'm blabbering on and on!
LouiseV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:04 PM   #6350
melmac51
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by debrajj View Post
I'm left handed too. I crochet left handed, but I knit right handed. Didn't even know it until I watched a tutorial, and the instructor was knitting just like I did. Knitting right-handed should be easy for you, because you work off of the needle that you're holding in your left hand.

Whichever way you learn, it may be awkward at first, but just hang in there...I promise it'll get easier.