Old 10-26-2009, 01:54 PM   #6361
Kia
Casting On

hi!
hi everybody!
i'm an italian girl very passionate of knitting , and also i like play my guitar.
see you soon!
bye!

Kia
Kia is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-29-2009, 12:18 AM   #6362
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,843 Times in 1,908 Posts
Welcome to our wonderful KH Forum!

Originally Posted by tidesong View Post
......I'm Jamie...........I spend a lot of time immersed in music -- I am a semi-professional classical musician (voice, violin, piano).
Originally Posted by Kia View Post
........i like play my guitar. .......Kia
Cool! Two more musicians!
I'm a musician too.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:22 AM   #6363
ndaisy
Ribbing the Cuff

Hey New from Western NY Erie
Hello Everyone.. name is Cheri..From Western NY Near Lake Erie... been crocheting basics.. and crafts for years. Have 4 kids and married forever. Just closed my business due to economics and decided to get back into my crafts again for the holiday gifts with the 100 somthing skeins of yarn I have left from my kitchen crochet towels I was selling in my store.

I am getting bored with crochet after years of sc, dc and rows of it for the towels and wanted to try knitting again. I have always loved the look. I say again.. cause I try and try and never seem to get the concept.
Finally... whew got the cast on done... that was making me crazy.. did the palm loop method and the stitches were so tight I wanted to cry. After a week of trying to figure out.. where the V was in making the long tail.. I found this website and the videos were great.

I watched every video I could find on this site.. and am very excited to start again. I made swatches of K and then P.. then K and P, and even tried a cable stitch... and then found out I was still doing the Purl stitch wrong.. for some reason I want to wrap under and not cast over.....

So you will see me asking all kinds of questions... because I have to know all to understand the basics...its strange and annoys my family... so please be patient with me... I may ask the same thing a few times in different ways to understand it.
This has got to be my 10 attempt to knit... one day I have to get it
Thanks and happy knitting
Cheri
ndaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:57 AM   #6364
Sherries1970
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to Sherries1970 Send a message via Yahoo to Sherries1970
Hi Cherie!

From one Sherrie to another (I know, different spelling LOL) welcome! My sister (who is 14 years older than me) taught me to crochet when I was young and I worked on projects off and on over the years. I am now disabled and have plenty of time to learn more stitches and work on new projects. I am so excited about it!

I taught myself to knit and after doing a "sampler" and getting aggravated because I couldn't do a purl stitch I put it down for a while. I picked it back up again and now have completed 2 projects. I'm so excited! The videos on this site are EXTREMELY helpful!! I watched the purl video and it was almost like magic!

I am working on a tote bag (using circular needles, which terrified me but now I'm finding it's much easier than I ever expected) and will be working on 2 baby blankets for a great nephew born last month and a great niece who will be joining this huge family next month. Also, I have a daughter in college and I am trying to work on a throw for her bed and a scarf/hat set for her boyfriend (who is from Buffalo and used to the cold LOL).

Please don't hesitate to ask questions. I haven't been a member on here long but have found that everyone is unbelievably helpful and so very kind! I almost wish we could get together in one big room and meet and knit! As a new knitter I'm hoping I will be able to help you along in your journey into the wonderful world of knitting and maybe between the two of us we can conquer it!
Old 10-31-2009, 07:35 PM   #6365
ndaisy
Ribbing the Cuff

The Sherry and Cheris
WOW thanks for the welcome... so appreciated.... You sound like me... new knitter with wanting to do so many things at once.. I started with a scarf had some fuzzy yarn I got as a blind auction on ebay( dont ask....lol) and came out rather nice... well doing all KNIT I guess it has not to much room for error... ( I do know EVERY mistake I made in it.) Then I saw these awesome cable fingerless I think.. TINK has on her question.. I am not ready for those.. then someone else talked of fingerless that are not on DPN.. and viola.. I have one done.. few rows of some k2pr.. some ST st.. and a few knits and a band... looks great.. few mistakes.. but My daughter will love them mistakes and all... now I want to do socks.. thats what started all thise... My daughter loves socks and mismatched are her fav... I am a tad scared of the DPN....but I will manage it
Have this problem of starting one.. and seeing another.. and I am addicted....lol... seen this awesome hat I want to do.. and then the brother asked for a sweater... later bro.
Making my own needles now and cables... got some dowls.. very fun and fullfilling. The 13 and 15s... well not so much fun right now....but I have some nice 3 DPN.. and 7s.. and some reg needles.. love the wood.
I wont mention I am doing grannie squares in crochet for my daughters bed... do one square a day.... maybe for xmas.. lol.

Purl still gets me.. I want to wrap under.. growl...I have to make a song of something...
I do like the continential.. but that whole fast wrap knit... just draws me back... so I change it around.

Have you done any socks? I got some sock thread a book and some needles... but the yarns are so dang expensive.. was wondering how to use the 3 DPNS with worsed weight yarn.. so I can practice and still get a sock...I have so much yarn.. shakes head....simple old red heart.. and I went to the store.. my lord.. there are a lot of yarn out there... never really looked.. went right to the worsed...
seems worsted gets a bad name around other chats... lol

Well I am rambling.. thanks for the shout to me.. I love it...Talk more

Cheri
ndaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:47 PM   #6366
Jeremy
Mod Squad

Welcome to everyone!
Sherries1970 (11-01-2009)
Old 10-31-2009, 08:05 PM   #6367
janben
Casting On

What does M3 mean (make 3??? how?)
Hi all,
I am a new member and avid knitter. I have a pattern for a great scarf with an undulating leaves pattern. It says M3. Here's the row: K4,P2,C2B,P2,M3,P2,C2B P2,K4. Help please. I really want to knit this scarf. The yarn is in fall colors and so pretty. Thanks.
janben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:06 PM   #6368
janben
Casting On

thanks
janben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 03:12 AM   #6369
offgridgirl
Knitting the Flap

A big Canadian...eh and howdy from the West Coast of BC.

I have been an avid knitter since my grandmother(mother was left-handed so it didn't work) taught me and gave me her favorite scissors. I do many projects and I am now working on a felted vest.
I have many interest but the one that takes up the most time(outside on sunny days) is my horses....two of them at the moment.
My husband and I live off the grid-power and LOVE it!! We generate our own power from the sun and wind. We live on 80 beautiful acres on a island!! We enjoy lots of out door activities but when is rainy and cold, I sit down and start knitting

Also wanted to add that I lived in Sharon Ma for 25 some old years....I saw that one of the moderators was from next door...
Love to hear from all of ya

S

Last edited by offgridgirl : 11-01-2009 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Added info
offgridgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 05:51 AM   #6370
Sherries1970
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to Sherries1970 Send a message via Yahoo to Sherries1970
Unfortunately I haven't started on socks. I've founds LOTS of patterns I would love to do. Working on the heel intimidates me for some reason. I'm sure if I really focus on it I'll be able to get it.

Like you I go straight for the worsted yarn! I have purchased many skeins off ebay (got a GREAT deal on 24 skeins) and the rest was purchased at Wal Mart (my second favorite store LOL). I grew up crocheting with Red Heart and always veer toward it. I would LOVE to work with other yarns and may do so once I get my stitches down pat. I have one skein I use as my sampler and soon I will unravel it to teach myself to use dpns for socks. Once I have that down I think I'll be good.

Along with knitting I have other craft projects going on. Thanks to my awesome landlord I now have several good pieces of 2 x 4s I'm using to make candle holders for Christmas. We're helping our landlord work on one of his rental houses (painting, etc) and along with paying us for our work any supplies he can't effectively use (paint, wood, drywall, etc) he gives to me. I've got a stock pile of supplies going in my utility room. Eventually I'll be moving everything to the basement and setting up shop there.

I go to Borders bookstore a lot and hit the clearance racks. I've purchased many knitting books AND kits for next to nothing! The kits have needles, stitch markers, etc in them and I can just add them to my supplies. I think the last kit I purchased was regular price $29.95 and I got it for maybe $5. You can get clearanced items from their website but I've found it hard to find the kits online. I also purchase a lot of things from a local thrift shop. The owner buys contents from homes that are being auctioned (estate sales, etc) and he ends up with LOTS of crafting items. I actually purchased my first sets of knitting needles and stitch markers from him for roughly $3. I've also purchased 2 no-sew blanket kits (regularly $30) for $4.

Time for me to try and get some sleep. Been a busy weekend with my daughter and her boyfriend home from college, Halloween, etc. A house full of teenagers makes you feel young when they're here but old after they leave! LOL Take care and we'll chat more soon!

Sherrie