Old 11-23-2009, 07:35 PM   #6401
KnitandPurl
1st Leg of the Journey

Hi! I'm teaching myself to knit and this site has been a great help. I love the videos.

I learned crocheting from my landlady when I lived in Germany; she knew how to knit but I didn't stay there long enough to learn. A Japanese friend taught me a simple cast on, knit and purl, and bind off but I haven't done anything with it.

I'm pretty confident in crocheting and can do a simple knit swatch in stockinette but that is about it. I picked up the Basic Knitting book by Leigh Ann Berry: All the Skills and Tools You Need to Get Started and I'm trying out the teddy bear sweater pattern with some leftover yarn from a crochet project. Its simple but fun; the yarn is splitting on me which is adding stitches left and right. Yes, I've learned to frog.

I'm looking forward to learning some more from the great knitters in this forum.
KnitandPurl is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-24-2009, 02:29 PM   #6402
craftluvr
Casting On

Originally Posted by KnitandPurl View Post
Hi! I'm teaching myself to knit and this site has been a great help. I love the videos.

I learned crocheting from my landlady when I lived in Germany; she knew how to knit but I didn't stay there long enough to learn. A Japanese friend taught me a simple cast on, knit and purl, and bind off but I haven't done anything with it.

I'm pretty confident in crocheting and can do a simple knit swatch in stockinette but that is about it. I picked up the Basic Knitting book by Leigh Ann Berry: All the Skills and Tools You Need to Get Started and I'm trying out the teddy bear sweater pattern with some leftover yarn from a crochet project. Its simple but fun; the yarn is splitting on me which is adding stitches left and right. Yes, I've learned to frog.

I'm looking forward to learning some more from the great knitters in this forum.
I haven't tried anything as bold as a sweater yet. All of my projects have been flat work, a few scarves, an afghan, things like that. I do have to admit that there are some gorgeous sweater patterns out there that I'd love to get my hands on and give it a whirl!
I have managed to nail down the basics and have expanded my horizons by adding the cable stitch.
I do better by seeing someone do as oposed to reading, that is why this site has been such a God send; however, one book that I have found that is extremely helpful is the "Ultimate Knitters Bible" by Sharon Brant. There are detailed instructions and colorful photos in there to help you along.
Best of luck with your sweater. Maybe you could post a picture when you've completed it.
Happy Knitting
craftluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:39 PM   #6403
mbrsart
Casting On

I've posted a few times here but haven't introduced myself yet. I'm MB, and my slogan is "Real Men Knit."

So far I've made three scarves, one of which is a horribly poorly made attempt at two color knitting, and I'm planning on making scarves and maybe matching hats for my two youngest siblings for Christmas. I'm also going to knit myself another sweater that I can use for church, parties, etc.

I tried crocheting on Saturday night...and can't do it. So I'll stick to knitting and using the hook for my funky bind-off method.
mbrsart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:29 PM   #6404
KnitandPurl
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by craftluvr View Post
I haven't tried anything as bold as a sweater yet. All of my projects have been flat work, a few scarves, an afghan, things like that. I do have to admit that there are some gorgeous sweater patterns out there that I'd love to get my hands on and give it a whirl!
I have managed to nail down the basics and have expanded my horizons by adding the cable stitch.
I do better by seeing someone do as oposed to reading, that is why this site has been such a God send; however, one book that I have found that is extremely helpful is the "Ultimate Knitters Bible" by Sharon Brant. There are detailed instructions and colorful photos in there to help you along.
Best of luck with your sweater. Maybe you could post a picture when you've completed it.
Happy Knitting
Well in crochet, sweaters are not that hard - we'll see how it goes with knitting. I just got the Vogue Knitting book and it has some incredibly beautiful sweater patterns but I think it will be a long time before I can knit any of those! I love scarves though - with a nice yarn they're so pretty and in crochet they're so easy to make.

The teddy bear sweater is just a practice piece from the Basic Knitting book. I think the author just put it in for practice so people can go through all the steps of making a sweater without spending too much time or yarn. The book though has a pattern for a knitted tank that looks nice which I think is more doable than the Vogue patterns.

Thanks for the suggestion of the Knitting Bible. I'll check it out.
KnitandPurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:47 PM   #6405
ahkm1
Casting On

need help with yarnweight
Hello. My name is ann. The problem I have encountered is when I retired earlier this year, I was straightening (lol) up and moved all my stash of yarn into one room, yes the whole room. I have all these semiused skeins and colors of mostly worsted acrylic and some sport acrylic.
My big question is, if I wanted to make something with bulky yarn, can I combine a worsted weight with a sport and have it look like
anything? Or should I forget that altogether and just make afghans or shawls with the leftovers?
You would probably reach me faster at my email
annhkmiller@yahoo.com
Thank you
ahkm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:09 PM   #6406
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yes a bulky and sportweight combined would be a bulky weight. Get creative.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:36 PM   #6407
srosengarten
Casting On

Hi, I'm Sarah, I'm a pretty new knitter and find this site incredibly helpful and wonderful. I've already gotten some help with something, and everyone seems quite lovely.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
srosengarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:06 PM   #6408
ahkm1
Casting On

questionon yarnweight
Thank you suz. Your answer was very timely.

Ann/Ahkm1
ahkm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:12 PM   #6409
mnscootergal
Casting On

I'm relatively new to knitting (scarves, hats etc) and am currently making my first Christmas stocking. As it's Thanksgiving (and I'm not visiting relatives this year), I find myself alone and unable to call on friends for advice. Given this situation, I come upon the phrase "pick up and knit" in my instructions and am truly perplexed. I search my "Learn to knit" book but can't find any reference to this phrase or how to execute it. Then I Google knitting tips and click on this link. Within seconds I'm viewing an easy to follow video and am back on track with my Christmas stocking! Thanks so much for today's assistance and I can't tell you how excited I am to have found this site!
mnscootergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:54 PM   #6410
cheryl0759
Casting On

Hello :)
Hi everyone...

I too have always crocheted but wanted to learn to knit...this site is awesome and I cannot wait to start....
cheryl0759 is offline   Reply With Quote