Old 11-30-2009, 07:20 AM   #6411
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,907 Posts
Welcome to the KH Forum, everyone!
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #6412
proudgranny
Casting On

Hi! I'm not sure I know how to navigate around this but I sure could use some help. I am proud granny and a self-taught knitter. I watch other people knit and they go so fast and I've finally figured out it's because I hold my yarn incorrectly and in order to wrap it around the needle I let go with my right hand, throw the yarn and then grasp the needle again with the right hand.

I watch other people just zip through their rows and it takes me a good while to do the same thing. Can someone please tell me the proper way to hold the yarn or direct me to a site that teaches that very basic principle! Although I have to tell you I've done it the "wrong" way for more years than I can count so teaching an old dog a new trick might require some effort.

Thanks for any and all help you might provide.
proudgranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:38 PM   #6413
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Originally Posted by proudgranny View Post
Hi! I'm not sure I know how to navigate around this but I sure could use some help. I am proud granny and a self-taught knitter. I watch other people knit and they go so fast and I've finally figured out it's because I hold my yarn incorrectly and in order to wrap it around the needle I let go with my right hand, throw the yarn and then grasp the needle again with the right hand.

I watch other people just zip through their rows and it takes me a good while to do the same thing. Can someone please tell me the proper way to hold the yarn or direct me to a site that teaches that very basic principle! Although I have to tell you I've done it the "wrong" way for more years than I can count so teaching an old dog a new trick might require some effort.

Thanks for any and all help you might provide.
Hi and welcome to KH! There isn't a wrong way to knit but if you are interested Amy does have some videos here that may help ya see a different way. If you have any questions just ask

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:42 PM   #6414
momtole
Casting On

Hello :) New here!
Hello fellow knitters!

I have been knitting for years but have so much trouble sewing my seams together. I love needlepoint, and my sutures (I'm a vet) are fabulous, but when it comes to my finished projects, I'm all thumbs! I stumbled across this forum while googling finishing!

About me, I am a full-time working mom of 2 little boys (4 years, 22 months) who pretty much take up most of my time. I live up here in Canada so nice warm wooly knits are a must!

I can't wait to get help and to give it!
momtole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:56 PM   #6415
LibrarianInStiches
Casting On

Hello all!
I was so excited to find this forum! My grandmother taught me to knit when I was about 11, but I didn't really get into it until college and now it's one of my main hobbies. I sew a little too but I have more patience for knitting! I'm excited to learn new things and meet new knitters. I'm still learning so I'll appreciate all the help I can get!
Old 12-01-2009, 10:02 AM   #6416
dawnhuntington
Casting On

New here
Hi everyone , happy knitting! Im new here and just wanted to say hello. Im a happily married mother of two awesome little boys who are 10 and 7. I am a nursing school student, Im pretty new to knitting so you will no doubt be hearing alot from me. I am so excited to have found this site!thanks

Dawn
dawnhuntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:44 PM   #6417
Danisty
Ribbing the Cuff

New here! I found the site looking for a tutorial on knitting with circular needles. I can't tell you how happy I am to have found this place! I've only knitted a few scarves, but I'm ready to try new things.

I'll be 31 in a couple of weeks, I've been married for almost 11 years and we're childfree by choice. My husband's a medic in the Army and I picked up knitting during his last deployment. He's leaving again soon, so here I am trying to learn more so we don't have 50 scarves when he gets home.
Danisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:40 AM   #6418
Sherries1970
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to Sherries1970 Send a message via Yahoo to Sherries1970
Welcome to the forum Danisty! First of all I want to thank your husband for his service. Without him and hundreds of thousands of other unselfish men and women we might not be free to do the simplest things in life!

I'm struggling with working on circular needles. I've actually worked on a tote bag that is nearly finished but I get aggravated easily with it (medical problems will do that to you LOL). I will say that learning how to get started on circular needles opened new doors for me. I'm now a bit less hesitant to start new projects. My next adventure? Double-pointed needles! Lord knows I've got PLENTY of time on my hands to do it!

Again, welcome to the forum...there are LOTS of great, friendly people on here.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:02 PM   #6419
Danisty
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Sherries1970 View Post
Welcome to the forum Danisty! First of all I want to thank your husband for his service. Without him and hundreds of thousands of other unselfish men and women we might not be free to do the simplest things in life!
I will let him know. The importance of hearing these things can't be overstated. Thank you.

Originally Posted by Sherries1970 View Post
I'm struggling with working on circular needles. I've actually worked on a tote bag that is nearly finished but I get aggravated easily with it (medical problems will do that to you LOL). I will say that learning how to get started on circular needles opened new doors for me. I'm now a bit less hesitant to start new projects. My next adventure? Double-pointed needles! Lord knows I've got PLENTY of time on my hands to do it!

Again, welcome to the forum...there are LOTS of great, friendly people on here.
The double-pointed needle stuff seems hard to manage. I inherited a ton of needles and crochet hooks from my grandmother, but the only double pointed ones she had were metal. I'm going to get some wood ones before I even think about trying that.
Danisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:29 PM   #6420
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,907 Posts
Welcome to our forum, everyone!

Originally Posted by momtole View Post
.......when it comes to my finished projects, I'm all thumbs! I stumbled across this forum while googling finishing!
I believe that seaming is an art all by itself. I am a slow, careful knitter, so I've learned to be a slow, careful seamer as well. It just makes everything look better. A great knit can be ruined by sloppy seams.

I learned how to seam by watching Amy's "Finishing" videos here in the forum. They really did help. You can see them on this webpage: http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-tips
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote