Old 05-29-2010, 11:19 PM   #6541
wbch5
Casting On

just saying hi
I found a set of needles and some yarn at work and want to pick up the habit. I also am reading the Blossom Street Books which includes a knitting class in the story. Each book gives a pattern to what the characters are knitting and I want to do that. But i have a question,,,,can I knit and not purl.?? thank you in advance for your help and comments.
wbch5 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-01-2010, 03:15 PM   #6542
MellieThePooh
1st Leg of the Journey

Reintroducing myself...
Howdy! It's been awhile, so I'm reintroducing myself. I found KH three years ago and thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Where had knitting been all my life? Who knew I'd love it so much? Thank you KH! Then I had a baby a year and a half ago, and since then I've only knit a few soakers; but I stumbled across the Pagosa Fiber Festival this last weekend (give it a go next year if you're in SW CO!) and thought I'd died a second time and gone to heaven...sinking my fingers into alpacas, sniffing the wool rovings, seeing the angora bunnies and goats...oh geez. How'd I go so long without knitting? So I'm back! And I need to learn how to spin.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:53 PM   #6543
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,907 Posts
Welcome to the KH Forum!

Originally Posted by wbch5 View Post
.....i have a question,,,,can I knit and not purl.?? thank you in advance for your help and comments.
If you only use the knit stitch, all of your finished items will be garter stitch if you knit straight (with 2 needles).

If you knit "in the round", all of your items will be stockinette stitch.

You'll eventually get bored with those two fabrics, and wish you could do more interesting designs. It pays to learn both the knit and purl stitches.

Originally Posted by MellieThePooh View Post
Howdy! It's been awhile, so I'm reintroducing myself........How'd I go so long without knitting? So I'm back!
Welcome back to knitting! It's a very satisfying craft.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:25 AM   #6544
bowl510
Casting On

Just a note to introduce myself. My name is Linda and I have been knitting seriously for 2 months. I have done 2 scarves and a couple of dishclothes. Working on a towel for my daughter for her swim team. I am married and have 2 kids and 4 cats. My mom tried to teach me how to knit and crochet when I was younger and never had the patience to do it. I found this website about a month ago and think it is wonderful. Will post the picture of the towel when I get it done. Happy knitting everyone.
bowl510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:09 AM   #6545
Attilash
Casting On

hi and thankyou from a combiantion knitter
Hi everyone,
I am 38 and from Italy, and since I have found you I have become an addict.
My mom has taught me to knit when I was a child, 8 or so, and she taught me the French style - passing on the one herself, my Gran and my aunties have always used. Then somehow I lost it because it needed all the patience of the world and I did not have it! I learned back to knit in my teens, on my own: only, it was so weird because my works never actually corresponded to the pattern I was following. And people used to say that I knitted in a "strange way": this tends to be very annoying, when all the female members (and they are many) of your family are saying it ...
So I stopped again.
Then, like one year ago, having found out that my soon-to-be mother in law (I'm getting married in October ) is a super knitter, I took out AGAIN my old needles, bought some yarn, started knitting again, again had to come to terms with the fact that patterns did not fit, again become frustrated... then, on a boring day I surfed the net, found YOU and my life as a knitter started anew ! becaouse through you I understood that I am a Combination style knitter! I am NOT weird! oh JOY! I think I will remember that afternoon of elation for the rest of my life! Since then, I have knitted furiously, four pairs of baby boots and three baby hats - now I am trying a baby cardigan. Thanks to you and your tips and links I have learned how to increase and decrease correctly, and I am SOOOOOOOOO happy
So a HUGE thank you for your fantastic website and for making me happy!
Attilash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:30 AM   #6546
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Welcome, welcome!
We are all excited knitters, and look forward to getting to know you better!
Old 06-10-2010, 09:55 PM   #6547
ewalker
1st Leg of the Journey

knitting for gauge
Usually I knit items that do not require specific gague, like afaghans. I want to knit socks but I need to know if you knit in stockinette stitch or something else. Can someone help me out?
ewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:31 AM   #6548
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Originally Posted by ewalker View Post
Usually I knit items that do not require specific gague, like afaghans. I want to knit socks but I need to know if you knit in stockinette stitch or something else. Can someone help me out?
A basic sock is knit in stockinette stitch. That's where the word "stockinette" came from. Originally it was called "stocking stitch", because it's used to make stockings.

If you want to learn to knit socks for the first time, there is a great free tutorial online by Silver (who used to be a moderator here in our forum). Silver's Sock Class
Old 06-13-2010, 03:41 PM   #6549
Meltem
Casting On

hi from Turkey!!!
I hope I will spend good time on this site
Meltem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:02 PM   #6550
smockinglady
Casting On

Hi Amy, Wonderful site! I'm in rural TX and a night owl...great to find a place for when I have problems with a technique or pattern at 2 a.m. Thanks for all your hard work!
Barbara/smockinglady
smockinglady is offline   Reply With Quote